BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

04-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #1
lawrenc967
Lurker Extraordinaire
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

About to take the plunge...

About to put in an order on a 2015 F80. Good deal, great rate to take advantage of right now. I've been dreaming about an M3 since high school, and after years of working hard, I am finally taking the plunge (and have convinced the wife to let me as well!)! I'd be moving into this car from a 2000 Acura Integra GS-R, so it's a big jump!

Now that I have my build, my deal, and all my numbers worked out, I am realizing that this is the end of the 2015 model, and 2016 will be entering into production within the next few months.

So, and I know there are numerous threads on this forum that discuss this, but I just wanted to get some thoughts. Should I wait? Should I put in my order? If I put in my order, I'd likely get the car around July. If not, I'd likely need to wait until the end of the year (which is not so bad, considering I've already waited years and years). Do people think that the base price would increase for 2016? Big changes coming? Rates would be bad?

What do people think? Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

I am in a similar situation but I was going to wait to purchase a 2016 (non lease) as I will only put 7500-8000 miles/year on it.

THEN I saw these threads with 65% residual on a 10K mile lease for the M3!
My biggest negative was my #1 color choice, sakhir orange not being available right now, but might be back for 2016 again.

if you are set in leasing then do it NOW, seriously it will only cost more if you wait and the only change will be rear LED lights, you also risk the MSRP going up a few hundred or more (if they do make LED headlights standard, I expect a $1500 price jump, and if you don't care about that option, its your loss).

biggest thing to consider is residual and money factor.
take the X3 for example, 2015 model residual is 58%, while the 2016 which started production this month is 55%, BMW uses residual to drive sales as it gets to the end of each model year.

expect at least a 3% residual drop in the M3 for 2016 models (for at least first 3-4 months), on a $75K MSRP that means it will cost you $2,250 more plus MF rate, estimate ~$2400 in total, that's out of pocket over the 3 years! not factoring in a price increase or forced standard options you wouldn't have selected. Money factor might also go up which could cost you hundreds more (if not thousands depending on how much).

Also, a lot of dealers might want more $$$ for the 2016 model because they might have 5-10 people waiting for that while no one waiting for current year, so they won't discount as much, if they want $1,000 more, plus the $2400 residual difference, that means you will be paying $100/month more to wait for the 2016 for basically the same exact car, and most dealers are quoting November for arrival now vs say July if you order now, that's 4 months in the summer of NOT having a M3/M4...

if you are buying with a standard loan, then I would wait because if you do some calculations on KBB or NADA, you will see 1 model year on the M3 will be about a $3500 difference (look at a 3 year old vs 4 year old M3 with the same options, 2011 vs 2012 M3 coupe is good choice), even if the cars have the same mileage! If leasing that doesn't matter.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
lawrenc967
Lurker Extraordinaire
Rep

Mako:

This is super helpful--awesome advice. I am purchasing, with the current intention of keeping this car for quite a while. Right now my biggest issue is I wouldn't want to pay more for a car that has negligible upgrades, if I can get a good deal right now. Do you think that MSRP will increase for the 2016 models? Did this happen for the previous M3 at the last LCI?

I guess bottom line for me right now is total cost. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 02:33 PM   #4
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrenc967
Mako:

This is super helpful--awesome advice. I am purchasing, with the current intention of keeping this car for quite a while. Right now my biggest issue is I wouldn't want to pay more for a car that has negligible upgrades, if I can get a good deal right now. Do you think that MSRP will increase for the 2016 models? Did this happen for the previous M3 at the last LCI?

I guess bottom line for me right now is total cost. What do you think?
One thing to consider with buying is the interest rate won't be as good. Right now bmw is advertising 1.9% for 60 months, that will be 2.9% or more for 2016 models, which is actually a big difference, over $2,000 extra interest over the life of the loan. But like I said the future value of 1 model year difference will probably offset that plus any price jump. I would only purchase a 2015 if somehow getting it for invoice cost.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 03:12 PM   #5
MKParris
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Garage List
In the end there is no difference between the model years if buying...

If you buy the prior year you typically get a lower promo interest rate and possibly better deal. If you wait you will usually pay more and will not get as good of an interest rate.

If leasing the best deals are typically late in the model year.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Quote:
About to put in an order on a 2015 F80. Good deal, great rate to take advantage of right now. I've been dreaming about an M3 since high school, and after years of working hard, I am finally taking the plunge (and have convinced the wife to let me as well!)! I'd be moving into this car from a 2000 Acura Integra GS-R, so it's a big jump!

Now that I have my build, my deal, and all my numbers worked out, I am realizing that this is the end of the 2015 model, and 2016 will be entering into production within the next few months.

So, and I know there are numerous threads on this forum that discuss this, but I just wanted to get some thoughts. Should I wait? Should I put in my order? If I put in my order, I'd likely get the car around July. If not, I'd likely need to wait until the end of the year (which is not so bad, considering I've already waited years and years). Do people think that the base price would increase for 2016? Big changes coming? Rates would be bad?

What do people think? Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated
A 2000 Integra GSR?!? That was one of my first cars right out of high school :-). My parents got it for me, looking back on it yes I was a bit spoiled ha ha. It was definitely a great car though and I miss it sometimes.

Anyways, I'm pretty much in your same boat. I have a 335 right now that will be paid off end of next month and if I want I can order an M3 right now from our dealer and have it by June probably.

I'm going back-and-forth on leasing versus buying. I really just need to decide if I'm going to keep the car for three years or 5+ years. Right now I'm thinking I want it for 3 which makes leasing very appealing.

With the 2016 model right around the corner it's also tempting as well. The LED lights are not a big deal to me but I'd really like to see what changes they made if any to the packages and or what the competition pack entails. I'm hoping we find out soon, it'll make the 2015 versus 2016 decision a lot easier. I don't really mind waiting a couple months either so I have that in my favor.

I was at the dealer this weekend and he ran me up a few quotes for a 2015,. Also he mentioned the 2016's will be selling for MSRP. But then again that is always negotiable with so many dealers. So it's really up to you and what your situation is like. If you can wait, then wait it out. But if you absolutely have to have the car soon, I highly doubt you'd regret having a 2015 M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #7
lawrenc967
Lurker Extraordinaire
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV335 View Post
A 2000 Integra GSR?!? That was one of my first cars right out of high school :-). My parents got it for me, looking back on it yes I was a bit spoiled ha ha. It was definitely a great car though and I miss it sometimes.
I just could never get rid of the Integra--its such a great little car. It definitely makes me seem like a high school or college student when I drive around, but it's not all riced out so I'm still ok

Anyway, I think I'm going to go ahead and get the order in. I'm thinking summer time in Germany would be a great time to drive around in the new car, and since I have a pretty good deal right now, I didn't want to have to go through the whole process again and end up potentially paying more for the same car with minor upgrades (not really interested in comp package).

Now I'm just trying to decide whether I want full leather or not. If no full leather, I'd probably add side/top camera + rear sunshade. If full leather, I'd drop those two options. Trying to keep within range of a budget here

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #8
saxon
Captain
Rep
Drives: s4

good luck if you want a 2015, not that many allocations left so if you want one you better pull the trigger
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 09:40 PM   #9
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BV335 View Post
I just could never get rid of the Integra--its such a great little car. It definitely makes me seem like a high school or college student when I drive around, but it's not all riced out so I'm still ok

Anyway, I think I'm going to go ahead and get the order in. I'm thinking summer time in Germany would be a great time to drive around in the new car, and since I have a pretty good deal right now, I didn't want to have to go through the whole process again and end up potentially paying more for the same car with minor upgrades (not really interested in comp package).

Now I'm just trying to decide whether I want full leather or not. If no full leather, I'd probably add side/top camera + rear sunshade. If full leather, I'd drop those two options. Trying to keep within range of a budget here

Any thoughts?
My GSR was black, lowered on Koni Yellows and H&R sports with AEM Cold Air intake, DC 4-1header, and Tanabe exhaust. Oh ya and a type R lip....haha those were the days.

Of those three options you mentioned I would 100% go with full leather. The M4 I test drove this weekend had full leather and the interior is so much classier. If the competition pack doesn't mean a lot to you, you should order it now. Like others said you'll most likely get a better deal and have it sooner to enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 08:28 PM   #10
funk74
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I am in a similar situation but I was going to wait to purchase a 2016 (non lease) as I will only put 7500-8000 miles/year on it.

THEN I saw these threads with 65% residual on a 10K mile lease for the M3!
My biggest negative was my #1 color choice, sakhir orange not being available right now, but might be back for 2016 again.

if you are set in leasing then do it NOW, seriously it will only cost more if you wait and the only change will be rear LED lights, you also risk the MSRP going up a few hundred or more (if they do make LED headlights standard, I expect a $1500 price jump, and if you don't care about that option, its your loss).

biggest thing to consider is residual and money factor.
take the X3 for example, 2015 model residual is 58%, while the 2016 which started production this month is 55%, BMW uses residual to drive sales as it gets to the end of each model year.

expect at least a 3% residual drop in the M3 for 2016 models (for at least first 3-4 months), on a $75K MSRP that means it will cost you $2,250 more plus MF rate, estimate ~$2400 in total, that's out of pocket over the 3 years! not factoring in a price increase or forced standard options you wouldn't have selected. Money factor might also go up which could cost you hundreds more (if not thousands depending on how much).

Also, a lot of dealers might want more $$$ for the 2016 model because they might have 5-10 people waiting for that while no one waiting for current year, so they won't discount as much, if they want $1,000 more, plus the $2400 residual difference, that means you will be paying $100/month more to wait for the 2016 for basically the same exact car, and most dealers are quoting November for arrival now vs say July if you order now, that's 4 months in the summer of NOT having a M3/M4...

if you are buying with a standard loan, then I would wait because if you do some calculations on KBB or NADA, you will see 1 model year on the M3 will be about a $3500 difference (look at a 3 year old vs 4 year old M3 with the same options, 2011 vs 2012 M3 coupe is good choice), even if the cars have the same mileage! If leasing that doesn't matter.
Man, Are you a lawyer cuz you can make a great argument! Great points and thoughts.

Appreciate 0