BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Elemento1991
Rep
Drives: Honda Civic Economy Box

Finally drove a 135i yesterday and I have a few more question for you guys!

Hello Gentlemen,

I finally drove a 135i yesterday, a dealer was nice enough to let me come out and do a test run. I really enjoyed the car, although I think it's smarter than I am. Holy hell there are some gizmos and gadgets in these things. I was really surprised by the torque curve, it feels like an N/A car. I was also pleasantly surprised by the handling as I have heard some people talk about the stock suspension being woefully lacking. It did however have the runflats changed with standard tires, but it's a great car. I didn't want to run it too hard but it did feel good when getting a little spirited through the corners.

So now I have some more questions for you guys.

1.) The car I drove was an optioned out 2012 with DCT and 26,000 miles. They are asking $32k which I think is a little steep? I'm not so sure its the one for me anyways. I really enjoyed the DCT and was having a good time, but I haven't driven a car with over 150hp for 3 years now. I bet I would have an even better time in a 6MT

2.) Does the DCT have a lower HP limit than the manual. Again I've seen some testimonies on this, but there were very few and they were low mileage. It doesn't seem that this is a car that is commonly pushed to its mechanical limits like the Subaru's were whenever I was part of that community. I know I will eventually want to get 400whp out of this car. Also DCT longevity? I have been looking around lots but these transmissions are new and some of the threads are a year or two old. Perhaps there are some people out there that have gotten up in the 100k+ range with these transmissions, possibly with additional power?

3.) This car is equipped with the N55 motor, which judging from Cobb's website responds with no-where near the mod for mod capabilities of the N54. I'm not planning on doing anything more than intake, possibly intercooler, and exhaust. I know the N54 is the way to go for power but how about longevity? Are the comparable? I care more about longevity and a balanced machine than the all out power, but that extra 40-50hp would certainly be nice.

I think that's about all my questions. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Elemento1991; 04-09-2015 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #2
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

I will answer with my POV. Others may disagree and that's fine. To each his own.

1.) The car I drove was an optioned out 2012 with DCT and 26,000 miles. They are asking $32k which I think is a little steep? I'm not so sure its the one for me anyways. I really enjoyed the DCT and was having a good time, but I haven't driven a car with over 150hp for 3 years now. I bet I would have an even better time in a 6MT

The price is about right for a '12 M Sport (I am assuming that's what you mean by "optioned out", it's got that package and nav, etc.) with that kind of mileage (basically, the car I own now that I bought last year). That last part is subjective. For me, DCT's were pretty much the end of my manual driving days. I love them that much, even with the software updates and issues that I've had to address in my last DSG Audi and this car. I love the lightning quick shifts and how much quicker just the trans. makes the car. Wouldn't go for a manual over a DCT. Over a conventional torque converter, probably would go manual, but it just depends on how well programmed that normal auto trans is. Various manufacturers have done wonders with the new ZF's.

2.) Does the DCT have a lower HP limit than the manual. I know I will eventually want to get 400whp out of this car. Also DCT longevity? I have been looking around lots but these transmissions are new and some of the threads are a year or two old. Perhaps there are some people out there that have gotten up in the 100k+ range with these transmissions, possibly with additional power?

Yes. The DCT has a built in torque limiter (to what point on the BMW DCT, IDK) to prevent damage, but considering the car this trans. came from (the V8 M3), below or at ~400 WHP, I wouldn't think so. As opposed to the 6MT? Possibly, but I don't really know how strong the stock clutch is on a 6MT 135i. I had a DSG in my former Audi that was "made" for a car with 200 HP and I was pushing 360 HP with it. Never slipped, never gave me any indication it was not functioning to it's performance potential at that power rating. This is my experience and limited knowledge so, I guess, not a great response to your question here.

3.) This car is equipped with the N55 motor, which judging from Cobb's website responds with no-where near the mod for mod capabilities of the N54. I'm not planning on doing anything more than intake, possibly intercooler, and exhaust. I know the N54 is the way to go for power but how about longevity? Are the comparable? I care more about longevity and a balanced machine than the all out power, but that extra 40-50hp would certainly be nice.

Out of the box, no, but you can do a turbo upgrade (like from Pureturbos) on the N55 that puts down some very respectable numbers from what I've seen. As far as your initial upgrade plans go, you wouldn't have any difficulty getting the desired 40-50 HP gain out of the N55 with those bolt-ons and a tune. Difficulty there is going to be finding a tune that isn't a piggy back (like BMS) for the '12 model year. Cobb stopped supporting the N55 after a certain ECU version. Overall, if you care about longevity, IMHO, the N54 is not the way to go. From what I've seen first hand (a whole lot) there are far fewer issues with the N55.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

I know some will disagree, but in general N54 has more tuning options available, while the N55 has a slightly better reliability factor.

I have an N55, and the main tuning options are:
-BMW PPK (marginal power increase but better responsiveness and awesome pop-and-burble sound, especially when combined with BMW Perf. Exhaust
-JB4 (a piggyback, but the Cadillac (BMW?) of piggybacks)
-Dinan (very pricey and somewhat conservative, but offers a Gap warranty and flash-and-forget convenience).

I cannot speak personally for the DCT (I am a 6MT guy), but I know a lot of guys on here are pushing 400WHP with it and it is holding fine. There is even a guy with 500WHP (turbo upgrade) using a DCT and says it is holding fine, but he is also using a software tweak to help it clamp better.

The 135 is a crazy fun car. The price you found is not great, but not terrible, depending on options. I looked across thr country on BMW CPO and Autotrader until I found just the right one and had to have it trucked from FL to MA.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

FWIW, I just had the Dinan Stage 2 tune installed the other day, and with about 200 miles to "adapt" and several WOT 1-4 throttle pulls to help it learn aggressive driving, I can say it is a dramatic difference. The torque is phenomenal (and it was already awesome stock). You will hear some people rag on Dinan for being overpriced for the gains and question the warranty coverage, but if you have it installed at a BMW dealer that is still a Dinan dealer, you should have no issue, and I can say from experience, that when properly broken in, the power difference is amazing. That said, I paid through the nose for it, but it won't affect my factory or CPO warranty, and that means a lot to me.

That is just my personal experience, and not a recommendation.
This post will be followed by a bunch of people telling you Dinan is a waste, but depending on your personal goals and priorities, it may be the right choice. It was for me and for a bunch of other people here who love it.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
Elemento1991
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I know some will disagree, but in general N54 has more tuning options available, while the N55 has a slightly better reliability factor.

I have an N55, and the main tuning options are:
-BMW PPK (marginal power increase but better responsiveness and awesome pop-and-burble sound, especially when combined with BMW Perf. Exhaust
-JB4 (a piggyback, but the Cadillac (BMW?) of piggybacks)
-Dinan (very pricey and somewhat conservative, but offers a Gap warranty and flash-and-forget convenience).

I cannot speak personally for the DCT (I am a 6MT guy), but I know a lot of guys on here are pushing 400WHP with it and it is holding fine. There is even a guy with 500WHP (turbo upgrade) using a DCT and says it is holding fine, but he is also using a software tweak to help it clamp better.

The 135 is a crazy fun car. The price you found is not great, but not terrible, depending on options. I looked across thr country on BMW CPO and Autotrader until I found just the right one and had to have it trucked from FL to MA.
That is what I am thinking of doing as well. I would really like to find a grey one with coral red interior. The one I looked at was black on black but we'll see what the dealer gets in. It was really fun, and I couldn't run it super hard but I think it will be more fun than my previous STi. The AWD made the steering have a sort of numb feeling to me. My brief drive with the RWD felt crisp and precise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
FWIW, I just had the Dinan Stage 2 tune installed the other day, and with about 200 miles to "adapt" and several WOT 1-4 throttle pulls to help it learn aggressive driving, I can say it is a dramatic difference. The torque is phenomenal (and it was already awesome stock). You will hear some people rag on Dinan for being overpriced for the gains and question the warranty coverage, but if you have it installed at a BMW dealer that is still a Dinan dealer, you should have no issue, and I can say from experience, that when properly broken in, the power difference is amazing. That said, I paid through the nose for it, but it won't affect my factory or CPO warranty, and that means a lot to me.

That is just my personal experience, and not a recommendation.
This post will be followed by a bunch of people telling you Dinan is a waste, but depending on your personal goals and priorities, it may be the right choice. It was for me and for a bunch of other people here who love it.
That is a nice feature as the car is under CPO until September 2016. If I do decide I want it that would be a great option.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
dg108
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

If you can find a 2011 that meets your needs then Cobb is an option for a flash, that's the route I am going.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
Elemento1991
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg108 View Post
If you can find a 2011 that meets your needs then Cobb is an option for a flash, that's the route I am going.
Yeah I looked into Cobb too. I am familiar with their products from Subaru as that is probably their main focus. They had really nice quality and we're very reputable. If I do end up with a CPO'd vehicle I'm not sure how Cobb would coincide though.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i E88 Black

Just bought a 135i MSport 12' Vert for 28.5k. Doesn't have nav but it has just about everything else including MSport suspension and brakes. It was a steal with only 12k miles and pristine condition of the body and interior. Check your build date because this 12' had a 2011 build date and while it's an N55, Cobb has a tune for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #9
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

I think that price is a bit on the high side. 16 months ago I got my CPO 2011 convertible Msport/premium/cold weather with 18,000 miles from a dealer for $33,000 and they gave me below average on my trade so it's not like they made up the money on that.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #10
dg108
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemento1991 View Post
Yeah I looked into Cobb too. I am familiar with their products from Subaru as that is probably their main focus. They had really nice quality and we're very reputable. If I do end up with a CPO'd vehicle I'm not sure how Cobb would coincide though.
With Cobb your stock tune is saved and re-flashed to your ecu if you uninstall it. Unlike VW/Audi, I haven't heard about BMW digging into ecu's and permanently coding cars that have been tuned to void warranty so I wouldn't worry with either JB4 or Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #11
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30 View Post
Just bought a 135i MSport 12' Vert for 28.5k. Doesn't have nav but it has just about everything else including MSport suspension and brakes. It was a steal with only 12k miles and pristine condition of the body and interior. Check your build date because this 12' had a 2011 build date and while it's an N55, Cobb has a tune for it.
All 135s come with the same suspension and brakes. M Sport is mostly cosmetic, except for an increased top speed limiter.

Last edited by Esteban; 04-09-2015 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2015, 08:51 PM   #12
Elemento1991
Rep

One more I forgot to ask. Are the manual transmissions in these close ratio at all? I really enjoy a closer ratio 6 speed but some of the videos I've seen make the gears seem really long. The DCT definitely had that close ratio feel, how is the manual?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #13
methodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 Le Mans 135i Vert

Depending on what options you have on the car it sounds more "fair" than great. I got a LOADED CPO vert with 27k miles for about $31,000. I have everything though. Heated and power seats, M Sport package, navigation, Harman Kardon, parking sensors and alarm. Pretty much everything offered and even then I thought it was only a good deal but I was willing to pay the price. So if you are happy with the price I say go for it, the smile while driving is priceless.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 11:40 PM   #14
Hit Redline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E60 M5

The price seems reasonable to me I just purchased 2012 with 26,000 miles for just under 32k. Dealer asking price was 34k. These cars aren't that easy to find if you're looking for certain color options and features.

Fully loaded with DCT transmission. I would say I am a manual guy myself but I will tell you the DCT is absolutely amazing. Putting in sport mode and pressing the sport button make the car drive in a completely different way, for the better.

You can use the cobb AP if your build date is prior to 3/2012. Just installed today on my car but did require an update to the DME for the cobb to work as it had some pretty old software on it. I was able to get my SA to update the DME and looks the other way on mods.

I can't speak to the longevity of either engine but I do like the idea of having a CPO BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 01:23 AM   #15
Ginger_Extract
California-bound
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemento1991 View Post
One more I forgot to ask. Are the manual transmissions in these close ratio at all? I really enjoy a closer ratio 6 speed but some of the videos I've seen make the gears seem really long. The DCT definitely had that close ratio feel, how is the manual?
The gear spacing is excellent on the MT, but the gearing is pretty long. It feels about right for the car's torque curve, so you're never hurting for pulling power. Here is indicated MPH @ 7000rpm (redline) in each gear.
1st: 40mph
2nd: 72mph
3rd: 110mph
4th: 145mph
5th: Theoretically ~180mph (Speed limiter of 155mph)
6th: Theoretically ~200mph
Streets of Willow: 1:27.7 CW 11/15/15; 1:29.5 CCW 8/15/15 |||| Autoclub Speedway ROVAL (CCW): 1.52.6 - 12/2/17
Willow Springs - Big Willow (CW): 1:35.8 - 3/31/18 |||| Buttonwillow #13 (CW): 1:59.3 1/27/18
https://www.facebook.com/JakeStumphRacing |||| http://www.youtube.com/user/RaceMeMZ3
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 02:36 AM   #16
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
I have 12' Msport 6MT, gets tracked occasionally, modded etc. No issues what so ever, reliablity hasn't been an issue. Car performs exactly as expected. 32k for a loaded car is a good price. Right in the middle of the range. I paid 33k for mine last year, with only 2300 miles on it, but im in Germany, and witht he military discount, they are alittle cheaper for me. Don't pass on a good DCT car for a 6MT. Both have there strong points. The trans is the same 6MT as the 1M, so there isn't an issue with strength. I have 476 ftlbs of torque, and my stock clutch is still going strong after 20k miles of abuse. You will enjoy either trans. The DCT is faster, and when just cruising, can be a more enjoyable time.
      04-10-2015, 06:09 AM   #17
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

The unicorn, if you can find one, is an early build 2012 model, built in 2011, so you get an N55 that works with Cobb AP.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 06:30 AM   #18
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k
The unicorn, if you can find one, is an early build 2012 model, built in 2011, so you get an N55 that works with Cobb AP.
I thought the unicorn was an m-sport 128 with manual seats and no sunroof.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #19
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
I thought the unicorn was an m-sport 128 with manual seats and no sunroof.
Haha. Touche. Can the 128 and 135 each have their own unicorns?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #20
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg108 View Post
With Cobb your stock tune is saved and re-flashed to your ecu if you uninstall it. Unlike VW/Audi, I haven't heard about BMW digging into ecu's and permanently coding cars that have been tuned to void warranty so I wouldn't worry with either JB4 or Cobb.
I have...and they do, trust me.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #21
SD_E88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' 135i E88 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban

All 135s come with the same suspension and brakes. M Sport is mostly cosmetic, except for an increased top speed limiter.
I'm confused. Not to hijack the thread but if 135's don't come with a different suspension for specifically for mSport what is this code that comes up from the vin?
704 M SPORT SUSPENSION
Separate from the
337 M SPORT PACKAGE
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #22
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_F30 View Post
I'm confused. Not to hijack the thread but if 135's don't come with a different suspension for specifically for mSport what is this code that comes up from the vin?
704 M SPORT SUSPENSION
Separate from the
337 M SPORT PACKAGE
From the man himself Dackelone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^that's correct. +1.

All 135i's have the same suspension whether they have M-sport or not. Its only on the 128i that the M-sport gets you the stiffer better suspension.
Appreciate 2