BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #1
klick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i M Sport 6MT

Eibach ERS Springs paired with non-coilover shocks?

I have been looking for a set of linear springs and it seems that Eibach offers them in the form of the ERS springs.

The thing is, I have only seen these springs on full-coilver set up, i.e. Ground Control or Eibach Multi Pro R1/2.

I was wondering if it was possible to pair these springs with a set of Koni or Bilstein shocks without converting them to a full-coilover.

My plan ideal plan is to get a set of Koni Yellows with these ERS springs, then maybe down the line get a set of coilover sleeves and camber plates to make the full conversion.

Just first need to know if the ERS springs can be used without a coilover system.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Nope. Gotta have a sleeve of some kind for them to sit on.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

The idea would work but I don't think you want to go there.

* Stock spring platform not shaped or intended for a bare coilover spring
* Spring length would have to change to get a correct ride height and since it's not adjustable you'd have to have it perfectly calculated ahead of time
* You might fit a sleeve over the top of the current strut and give yourself some adjustability, but again the current platform is not shaped to do so in any manner you'd call "correct". And again you'd have to do a bunch of calculations to get the right spring length as close as possible to start with.
* It's a whole lot of extra manual work, you could DIY it w/ the right tools but no shop will chance it.

I've been down this road and done this exact thing on 2 other cars I've owned, and I have learned not to bother with it a 3rd time. Do it right or not at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
klick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i M Sport 6MT

Got you guys, thanks for the responses!

I guess I will just wait and pick up a Full Ground Control set up a little later.
Appreciate 0