BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-13-2015, 09:39 PM   #1
pooyab
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 2020 BMW M5C

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Exterior Detailing

For the last couple months I've been meaning to getting around to cleaning up the outside of the car. I know I'll need clay bars, polish, sealant, wax, and variable speed polisher. I've never done it before but that's what the Internet is for.
My questions are what brands of each would you recommend? Would these get rid of the swirls in the paint or is that a pro job? And would it just be cheaper to get it done at some Bay Area shop?
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
B8bydesign
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
You may get more answers in the Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs subforum, I'd guess the mods will move this thread there and you'll get plenty of suggestions!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=189
Sold: '11.5 e92 M3 | DCT | Mineral White/Novillo | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | M Performance | ACM | BPM | iND | Thule | LUX | Macht Schnell | Broadway Static | Rogue Engineering | BBS | Challenge | Metak
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 09:51 PM   #3
Harry Da Hamster
Captain
Rep
Drives: The Bus

It's a lot of work and products, but if you're up to it...

Chemical Guys Honey Dew car wash soap
CarPro Merino Wool wash mitt
Any fine clay bar
CarPro IronX ferrous metal dissolver
Dozen quality plush microfiber towels
Two loop pile microfiber towels for polish removal
Griots Garage 6" Polisher (Cheap) or Flex 3401 (Much better) polisher
Menzerna FG400 compound
Menzerna SF4500 polish (If you have a light colored car, you can probably skip this)
Kleen Strip PrepAll wax remover
CarPro Cquartz UK paint coating
CarPro Dlux trim coating
Optimum Optibond tire dressing
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
7500rich
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I read the thread below last winter, and basically went the zaino route. Worked out great for me, it's also easy to order everything from one website

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=36297
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Hit up www.detailersdomain.com for everything detail-oriented. Great online store where you can find most everything listed above and they ship super fast. I've been using them for years. As stated before, it's a lot of work, but the results are worth it.
      02-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

For the process alone, I like to do as follows:
Wash car with two bucket method
Dry car with my leaf blower (or I use a giant waffle towel to dry it depending on outside weather and how lazy I am, lol)
Clay car
Wash car again
I then go over the car with some decent polish and a DA polisher
Go over car with spray detailer to remove polish residue
wax car twice
Enjoy.

There are obviously more or less things you can do, but that's pretty my methodology.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
For the process alone, I like to do as follows:
Wash car with two bucket method
Dry car with my leaf blower (or I use a giant waffle towel to dry it depending on outside weather and how lazy I am, lol)
Clay car
Wash car again
I then go over the car with some decent polish and a DA polisher
Go over car with spray detailer to remove polish residue
wax car twice
Enjoy.

There are obviously more or less things you can do, but that's pretty my methodology.
Oh man, I'd like to do the full round once...how much time do you need to complete mate?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #8
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Oh man, I'd like to do the full round once...how much time do you need to complete mate?
Now that I've done it for several years I can get it done in a day (roughly 8 hours depending on how badly swirled some panels are). This is just for the exterior, though. I usually wait until the next day for the interior or do the interior prior.

With one person, it's really time consuming, but totally worth the effort. For what it's worth, I do this every 6 months.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #9
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

I was in your position a few years ago. I could pass you some knowledge that would have benefited me then.
-First of all it's a lot of work. Take the energy of a washing without detailing and multiply that by 6 or 8 each time you detail depending how anal your are. It can easily take 2 days if you go all manual.
- If you have ZCP wheels then expect that to be laborious and taking 50% of your detailing time and unlike the body there are no automated way for it, it's all elbow grease. I have 5 custom brushes dedicated to the wheels only + all the 4 wheel woolies brushes in addition to that.

-I never needed to use polish sofar, as my car came to me from the factory, it has no swirls whatsoever. Claying and waxing brings the surface to a mirror finish with very focused hard edged light reflections (no smear due to micro pitting and scratches on poorly detailed cars)

- Even for a used cosmetic body i question the use of polishing every time. It should be at most 3 times a year if you're doing it right. If you need polishing everytime then you probably are more enamored with your Flex polishing tool than with your car finish.

- Making sure the car is absolutely clean before detailing is critical. So is Claying. If you leave any debris in interstices and crevasses where it tends to accumulate you will smear it and swirl you finish when you buff the wax off ( i learned that on my honda in much earlier days)

Recommended products:

First wash "no touch":

- Bugs and grime citrus based remover by auto finesse
- tree sap remover by BMW
- Chemical guys Super Suds II for soaping the car and loosening dirt particles
- The "bone" big blue sponge for soaking the soapy water over your car (no touch) or one of those foaming guns with your water hose.

Second wash 2 buckets manual :

- a 100% natural whool mitt
- a second whool mitt for the side railings and lower "dirtier" parts of the car
- Optimum no rinse blue
- -2 dedicated 32 inches drying towels (no need to get those honeycomb, waste of $$)

Wheels :

- Chemical guys Diablo ( I started with harsh chemical stuff like Sonax and stopped that after a couple of times, it's obnoxious smell, enjoying your detailing time is important)
- 5 inch boars hair wheel brush (for wheel facia)
- 2 daytona speed brush (for wheel barrels)
- 2 boars hair finishing brush (for lug nuts cavity), the other for the interior
- wheel woolies 4 brushes (for wheel spokes)
- long handle, long vinyl hairs for tires
- Wolfgang Tire "water based" dressing
- Rectangular brick like more resilient green sponge used for dressing the tire (much better than griots blue round ones, too soft)
- synthetic wax for the wheels. I found Meguiar Ultimate Liquid Wax is excellent for painted wheels like ZCP and stays put a long time.

Engine bay :

- Chemical Guys All clean All purpose citrus based Cleaner (used dilluted for engine bay, smells amazing)

Interior :
- California dusting brush
- 1Z gummi pflege to keep all the rubber join look like new and conditionned (highly recommended !)
- some portable vacuum with changable tips is necessary. I use my Shark modular vacuum cleaner.

Claying :
-4 dedicated soft high quality claying towels
- Pinnacle Ultra Poly green Clay bars
- Use ONR for claying spray

Pre-Wax paint prep:

P2S Gloss enhancing paint cleanser

Waxing:

- 100% Carnauba wax by P2S.
-4 dedicated super high quality, high pile and super soft MF towels for buffing wax off
- DA machine of your choice with waxing 4'' or 6 '' pad

Accessories:
- 10 Low purpose smaller MF towels
- 4 medium sized average quality MF towels
- 3 5 gal buckets with lids from home depot (no need to buy that grid stuff) $4 each
- 6 spray bottles with good spray adjustment. Dollar stores sells them for $1
- disposable gloves $2 a pair Wall mart

hint: wait for autogeek discounts days to buy.

Last edited by V8FunNaturally; 02-14-2015 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep

+1 on auto geek sales. Detailing isn't exactly a priority like maintenance is so I usually wait for those sales once or twice a year and just load up in bulk.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #11
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have the micro fiber towels and wash mitt. That's about it. Lots of shopping to do I guess. I feel like all the necessary tools would add up to about the same as a pro doing it but know how to do it will be beneficial later.
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 05:19 PM   #12
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyab View Post
I have the micro fiber towels and wash mitt. That's about it. Lots of shopping to do I guess. I feel like all the necessary tools would add up to about the same as a pro doing it but know how to do it will be beneficial later.
Don't forget this....It protects up to 6 months against swirls and even against roadsalt !
It's prepared for me on next detail in spring..
Here is more => http://www.autogeek.net/sonax-polymer-net-shield.html
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 02-14-2015 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #13
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Don't forget this....It protects up to 6 months against swirls and even against roadsalt !
It's prepared for me on next detail in spring..
3M has a coating spray too. Based on reviews and pictures, this will never be used on my car. If you want polymer coating better use Opticoat pro and even that is a compromise so you don't have to wax your car for a year. Plastic surface look and feel too. No thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #14
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8FunNaturally View Post
3M has a coating spray too. Based on reviews and pictures, this will never be used on my car. If you want polymer coating better use Opticoat pro and even that is a compromise so you don't have to wax your car for a year. Plastic surface look and feel too. No thanks.
I made a choise and it's about protection over feel..
Tested the Sonax on the red Mini from my wife and is DD over here in winter in freezing temps , snow ,roadsalt and rain .
After 3 weeks the little car still looks realy good ,actualy amazing even the wheels !
So my choise go's for protection and the ///M will be next ,and if I don't like it I'll go back to my Meguiars...
As for claybar and polisch still use Meguiars, but last step will be the Sonax .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #15
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyab
For the last couple months I've been meaning to getting around to cleaning up the outside of the car. I know I'll need clay bars, polish, sealant, wax, and variable speed polisher. I've never done it before but that's what the Internet is for.
My questions are what brands of each would you recommend? Would these get rid of the swirls in the paint or is that a pro job? And would it just be cheaper to get it done at some Bay Area shop?
I actually am in the Bay Area and have all the detailing tools and can detail your car. Let me know if you're interested
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #16
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M__3__R__A__G__E View Post
I actually am in the Bay Area and have all the detailing tools and can detail your car. Let me know if you're interested
What do you think about the Sonax ?

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #17
Yoddha
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium
Quote:
It's a great brand, but imho, the best products are called AMMO. They are phenomenal and the owner and creator, Larry Kosilla is arguably the best detailer known to man. Check out his website. It has tutorial videos and all of his product line
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 07:48 PM   #18
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M__3__R__A__G__E
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium
Quote:
It's a great brand, but imho, the best products are called AMMO. They are phenomenal and the owner and creator, Larry Kosilla is arguably the best detailer known to man. Check out his website. It has tutorial videos and all of his product line
I like ammo products as well but they're pretty expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 01:05 AM   #19
Rat3d ///M
997.1TT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

While we are on the subject of detailing, I had a few questions. I am pretty anal about cleaning my car. I usually wash it one a week (or twice a month, depending on weather, how lazy I am, etc). When I wash my car, it takes me a good 3-4 hours. Here is my basic "wash" routine:

1. Bring the car into the DIY bay, and spray the car off with soap and hot water. If needed, I will use Bug and Tar remover, and scrub any areas with caked on dirt. Rinse car with hot water.
2. Spray wheels with wheel cleaner, and let them soak while waiting in line for the automatic wash (I know, I know, don't judge, just keep reading).
3. Go into the automatic bay, and let the machine wash/dry the car for me.
4. Pull out, and immediately dry the car with a microfiber towel. This is a long process, as I will dry the car, go and do something else, and go back to drying the car several times until I am satisfied the car has been dried completely.
5. Now I usually start on the interior by pulling out the floor mats and vacuuming.
6. Meguier's Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on the seats, steering wheel and door panel cards comes next (depending on how bad the seats are, or how recently this has been done, I may skip this step, but I try and do it at least once a month).
7. Dashboard/center console/door panels/other vinyl and plastic panels is next.
8. Engine bay drying/cleaning. I will usually wipe down the plastics under the hood with a varying product (haven't found one I really like yet).
9. Spray carpets with new car scent.
10. Clean wheels with a microfiber towel.
11. Use a tire shine gel with a foam applicator.

As said, this is my routine at least once every two weeks, and it takes me 3-4 hours each time, so I am no stranger to being anal with car care and I am aware a good detail can take 8+ hours just for the exterior. That said, I know my routine isn't perfect and has a few flaws. I am trying to get away from using the automatic washes, but it is hard here in Germany with laws regarding washing your car in your driveway, though I am going to start in the Spring despite what the laws say.

My biggest concern is my car has paint swirls and lots of caked on bugs etched into the clear coat on the front bumper, hood and mirrors from the previous owner. I got most of the bugs off, but some still remains. Besides this, there are a few rock chips here and there, but I can't really do anything about those.

So my questions are: I try to do a polish and wax in addition to my weekly routine once in the Spring (right after Winter) and once in the Fall (right before Winter), but I have never used a clay bar and wanted to give it a shot this Spring to get rid of the imperfections in the paint and start fresh with a new wash routine that doesn't involve an automatic wash.

1. Will a clay bar take off the etched on bugs and clear coat swirls?

2. What would the basic process be for a clay bar job? Any special techniques people like to use that you can share?

3. Someone mentioned they wash their car a second time after they clay bar. Is this necessary, or just personal preference?

Last edited by Rat3d ///M; 02-15-2015 at 01:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 01:31 AM   #20
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'd like to know which part fixes the swirls as well. Mine has a decent number of them from the previous owner.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 02:14 AM   #21
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
I'd like to know which part fixes the swirls as well. Mine has a decent number of them from the previous owner.
The compound (fg400 above) is the part that fixes the swirls. Swirls are just micro scratches in your clear coat. You need to polish the clear coat to get everything to the same level.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 02:43 AM   #22
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmike
Quote:
The compound (fg400 above) is the part that fixes the swirls. Swirls are just micro scratches in your clear coat. You need to polish the clear coat to get everything to the same level.

So clay bar will get all the debris off and leave a clean clear coat then the polish is to fix the clear coat swirls and scratches to an extent and the wax is just to look pretty.
Appreciate 0