R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Infiniti Q60 to be offered with 400hp and 450hp? - Updated Jan 2016

http://jalopnik.com/the-sexy-infinit...-v6-1685629067

Not entirely ugly (in that it seems to borrow its front profile view liberally from the M4 stylebook, other than the truncated rear end)

Anyway, always nice to have competition and options - I hope they do make it.

Edit:

New info in January 2016:
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...source=twitter

Last edited by myzmak; 01-11-2016 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Interested in this new twin turbo V6. Interesting the base model could get 400hp. A performance version with 450hp.

The next Z should get the TTV6.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

If the ECU is tunable and this car comes with a true LSD and solid suspension, it truly could be exciting.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
More photos here:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...to-follow.html

Front end has a bit of that wide mouth bass look.....(well, maybe narrow mouth, but either way....) but still a decent looker
      02-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Nissan makes some sweet sounding V6 engines, hope this one follows in their footsteps. But to really compete in the this segment you have to bring more to the table than HP. Weight savings and technology are the ways of the future and I'm proud to say BMW has lead the way when it comes to the use of CF & adjustable driving dynamics. Ford is now heavily investing in CF as are other manufacturers.

Infiniti made a good call when they cancelled the Eau Rouge concept, no one is buying the Q50 in its base form and people still wish the G37 sedan was available. We have an Infiniti QX and I've driven both the Q50 and G37 as loaners recently. When taking pricing into consideration, the G37 is still the car I would prefer to purchase.

An Eau Rouge version of the Q60 Coupe sounds infinitely (see what I did there?) more interesting. If they make it happen, it would be a direct competitor to the RCF and give the Japanese crowd a few options when mulling over a high performing coupe. This segment is getting so crowded, I guess manufacturers really want a piece of this/us.

Writing this makes me realize how silly Infiniti was to rename their whole line of cars. Horrible marketing.
      02-13-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

The fact that it will pack a 3.0L V6 (which will also go into the Q50 and other Infiniti vehicles) has been a long standing rumor. It makes sense that this will be an Infiniti engine rather than a Mercedes engine since they can theoretically take their VR38 and downsize while keeping the high power density.

How big an impact this will make depends, of course, on whether they intend to offer an entry level model (possible turbo four or N/A V6) and where they will price that. But if they come through with 400hp in, say, the low $50k range, they will most certainly be flipping the game. The next S4/S5 will be ones to watch on that front as well.

The downer is that this probably confirms what we'd heard recently about the Eau Rouge (Q50 with GTR drivertrain) being dead. But then that never really had a chance of being affordable while this certainly does.

By the way myzmak - I changed the title (hope you don't mind) since the concept itself debuted back in January in Detroit but no power details were given. The real news coming today is the alleged 400hp+ power goals for the production car.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #7
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
Nissan makes some sweet sounding V6 engines, hope this one follows in their footsteps. But to really compete in the this segment you have to bring more to the table than HP. Weight savings and technology are the ways of the future and I'm proud to say BMW has lead the way when it comes to the use of CF & adjustable driving dynamics. Ford is now heavily investing in CF as are other manufacturers.

Infiniti made a good call when they cancelled the Eau Rouge concept, no one is buying the Q50 in its base form and people still wish the G37 sedan was available. We have an Infiniti QX and I've driven both the Q50 and G37 as loaners recently. When taking pricing into consideration, the G37 is still the car I would prefer to purchase.

An Eau Rouge version of the Q60 Coupe sounds infinitely (see what I did there?) more interesting. If they make it happen, it would be a direct competitor to the RCF and give the Japanese crowd a few options when mulling over a high performing coupe. This segment is getting so crowded, I guess manufacturers really want a piece of this/us.

Writing this makes me realize how silly Infiniti was to rename their whole line of cars. Horrible marketing.
I've actually never really looked into inifinitis much. I have friends who love them, and I can probably spot a G37, but....beyond that they have always been this mystery brand which (to my eye) just looked a lot like a lexus - they never were really on my radar when buying any of the cars I've owned.

Frankly, the best infiniti-related discussion I can think of is in the movie 3 kings when they are debating whether the car marky-mark's character wants (a lexus) comes in convertible and ice cube insists that it is only infinit that makes the convertible...later confirmed by the 3 Iraqi rebel guys.

(link to sound clips here... http://www.moviesoundclips.net/sound.php?id=15)

That said, I think the RC-F is a bit of a miss for Lexus. Would be nice to see a good competitor from Japan in this segment.

All of is a long, rambling, way of saying: I have no idea what the numbers and letters you used above all mean, but will trust that to those in the know, they identify different kinds of infiniti cars and/or SUVs. ...some of which, we have established, you can get in convertible form. Or could as of the time of Operation Desert Storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The fact that it will pack a 3.0L V6 (which will also go into the Q50 and other Infiniti vehicles) has been a long standing rumor. It makes sense that this will be an Infiniti engine rather than a Mercedes engine since they can theoretically take their VR38 and downsize while keeping the high power density.

How big an impact this will make depends, of course, on whether they intend to offer an entry level model (possible turbo four or N/A V6) and where they will price that. But if they come through with 400hp in, say, the low $50k range, they will most certainly be flipping the game. The next S4/S5 will be ones to watch on that front as well.
Agreed. What was most interesting to me in the article was the possibility of the 450 hp version (which is right in the M3/M4 / RCF wheelhouse).

Quote:
By the way myzmak - I changed the title (hope you don't mind) since the concept itself debuted back in January in Detroit but no power details were given. The real news coming today is the alleged 400hp+ power goals for the production car.
Makes perfect sense as, yup, that is the new news here.
      02-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
What is the pricing going to be like though? Are they getting rid of the regular coupe (like if BMW only released the M3/4, but didn't have a 328i or 335i)...

G37/current Q60 is priced around $40 (~$50k loaded), right? Will this be in the $60-$70k only? If so, bad choice... if they are sticking with current Q60 pricing, that car will be a STEAL!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 04:09 PM   #9
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14
What is the pricing going to be like though? Are they getting rid of the regular coupe (like if BMW only released the M3/4, but didn't have a 328i or 335i)...

G37/current Q60 is priced around $40 (~$50k loaded), right? Will this be in the $60-$70k only? If so, bad choice... if they are sticking with current Q60 pricing, that car will be a STEAL!
Good point, though if they give it the jam to compete with the F80 my view is they need to price it like one. If it is dramatically less it doesn't get taken a a real competitor and doesn't take away sales from this car (where buyers are comfortable spending) - rather it just destroys 3/4 series sales.
      02-13-2015, 04:20 PM   #10
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

My last car was a G35. Threw a JWT twin turbo on that Along with other power mods and a BBK), making about 400 hp to the rear wheels, it was a nice car. Loved it.

When they went to the new naming convention (everything is a Q...), they really lost the ball. Maybe this will regain it.
      02-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #11
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Infinity just lost their design touch .. Doesnt look special at all.. New brand design looks like a boring family sedan.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

I like the design, but being that it's a concept will most likely be toned down (hope not too much). One reassuring thing is that autoguide article states "The second model will be a performance focused version, keeping more of the concept car’s more aggressive design cues and making as much as 450 hp".

Can't wait to see this thing in different colors. Not feeling the matte silver it's got going but it has potential to be a real head turner.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2015, 07:34 PM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
Kind of what I was trying to get at in my post but I articulated it poorly.

I think what we'll see - if these new rumors have legs and are anywhere near true - is an entry level model with 300hp or so, a higher end model with a bit less than 400hp, and then the "IPL" model with around 450hp. There will be a big difference from a marketplace perspective if these are bargain priced starting at (for example) $35k, $45k, $55k, vs. if they start them at $40k+, $50k+, $60k+. Now, if they skip the entry model and start with ~400hp near $40k, then things have officially gone cookoo because then you are approaching Mustang GT and Camaro SS value in a luxury package. I don't think they'll be able to do that though (not least because it could wreck the brand perception).

I believe you can get a Skyline (which is what the Q50/Q60 are, rebadged) with much lower end engine options elsewhere. They tried briefly with the G25 sedan (no coupe though) last generation but that was underpowered and not priced low enough vs. the ~330hp V6 model to make sense value wise. I suspect they'll try again with a low end model that is more compelling this time.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 08:02 PM   #14
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

As much as I like my VQ motor, it's getting way long in the tooth.

I would like to see Nissan get rid of the IPL crap. Give the Q60 a 400hp V6TT, and have a Q60-S variant with 450hp or more. Keep the weight around 3,500 lbs and they will have a winner in my opinion. AND LEAVE A 6MT OPTION!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 09:22 PM   #15
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
Infinity just lost their design touch .. Doesnt look special at all.. New brand design looks like a boring family sedan.
Infiniti never had a design touch. All their stuff looks like crap. Thank goodness the GT-R is a Nissan because that car is Japanese design at it's best. The Lexus, Infiniti and Acura BS are either stuffy as hell or insanely over done. GT-Rs and Supras, cool. The "luxury brands" are in general just gawd awful.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #16
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11502068...-year-with-two
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #17
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
In today's crazy HP numbers a blown 4.7 liter V8 that makes 408 HP is just not enough. 4 Cylinder engines are getting that much, not to mention smaller displacement turbo 6's.

I think they will have multiple versions of a 6 or possible 4, but I doubt they would stick a turbo 8 in it. If they did, watch out.
      02-15-2015, 02:57 PM   #18
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
That article pre-dates the one that kicked off this thread and is more than likely 100% speculative and off the mark.

For one thing, the 4.7L V8 is a dead man walking since Mercedes will soon be getting over 600hp from their 4L V8. No need for the legacy big bore V8 engine family any longer. It's done by end of decade.

Secondly as, I pointed out above, Infiniti can get more power from their own 3L V6 than Mercedes does right now anyway. Mercedes is currently developing a new inline six that will probably take over for both their 3L V6 and the 4.7L V8, starting with the next E Class. So they probably won't develop the V6 further than they have for the C 450 AMG.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #19
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

the car looks okay to me… just okay. better looking than the RC-F, IMO, which has a terrible front end. hopefully it performs… the more sweet cars, the better for all of us.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #20
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Here it is:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/24/2...oupe-spy-shots

None of these spy shots are going to flatter the car for obvious reasons, but that first one in particular makes it look a lot more like an Accord coupe than it really does. Be sure to scroll through them, as it actually looks pretty good to my eye. They did a fine job of sticking to the design previewed by the concept in my opinion. At the very least, I think it's better looking than an RC/RC-F, but to some that probably isn't saying a whole lot.

The final details on the engine, chassis and power train remain the bigger curiousity though. If it's only 400hp, then it's more apt to be measured against the S5 and C450 AMG, where it would be class leading in power. If it is 450hp, or if there is both a 400hp model and 450hp model (perhaps the latter would wear an "IPL" badge), then things get more interesting, and comparisons to the M4 and company become more natural. That's especially true if AWD were to be offered in combination with that much power.

Of course, weight also remains a big question. Still if they drop this in below the price of a C450 AMG, which seems possible, then there would be some genuine performance value here.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2015, 09:55 AM   #21
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Here it is:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/24/2...oupe-spy-shots

None of these spy shots are going to flatter the car for obvious reasons, but that first one in particular makes it look a lot more like an Accord coupe than it really does. Be sure to scroll through them, as it actually looks pretty good to my eye. They did a fine job of sticking to the design previewed by the concept in my opinion. At they very least, I think it's better looking than an RC/RC-F, but to some that probably isn't saying a whole lot.

The final details on the engine, chassis and power train remain the bigger curiousity though. If it's only 400hp, then it's more apt to be measured against the S5 and C450 AMG, where it would be class leading in power. If it is 450hp, or if there is both a 400hp model and 450hp model (perhaps the latter would wear an "IPL" badge), then things get more interesting, and comparisons to the M4 and company become more natural. That's especially true if AWD were to be offered in combination with that much power.

Of course, weight also remains a big question. Still if they drop this in below the price of a C450 AMG, which seems possible, then there would be some genuine performance value here.

Not entirely unpleasing to the eye....reminds me a fair amount of the current C class shape (similar tapered rear). Actually, more than a little C-class marries current Lexus (RC-ish)

If I had to guess I would think it would be more of a C400 / 340 type competitor as trying to launch into a full on AMG / M / RS competitor might be a bit much in one leap here....but I guess we'll see. It would be nice to have a real, strong competitor from the Asian manufacturers in this segment - if only to show that there are other ways to build these fast sedans and coupes other than the European and NA ways we all know.

Thanks for adding to this.
      11-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #22
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

I like the F1 inspired front bumper on the concept car a lot better than what is on the Q60 now.

Could be an intriguing car though, especially in an IPL format.
Appreciate 0