EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Straight Dave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3

Traction loss when shifting from second to third

Maybe it's just me and I know I didn't see the problem in DCT, but in my 6 speed when I shift from second to third, traction control kicks in and slows me down. Not sure if others are having the same problem but not sure if anyone else had that issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #2
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
DCT does the same thing if you are on the gas hard and in the 2nd or 3rd setting on the transmission. torque!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

I just drive with TC off. \_("_")_/
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #4
JustinCredibleM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 GT-R, '02 996TT

Happens to me with my tune from 3rd to 4th .
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #5
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

You're gonna get slowed down by either the TC or wheel spin. Try turning off TC and opening your windows under the same acceleration conditions and you'll hear the tires chirp, its totally normal in a car with this much power. . . You're going from no acceleration during the shift itself to WOT very quickly so the back tires want to break free for a second, but the TC isn't letting them. I can't comment on what's faster, letting the tires chirp or leaving TC on because I'm stuck with my winter setup at the moment I'm sure some of the other guys or Lups can share their experiences.

*Edit - you may not audibly hear the tires chirp since the car is sexy and loud, but you should 100% feel a different dynamic as the wheels slip a little. TC in the standard mode is designed to keep the car pointing forward and minimize tire spin in all circumstances. It is not designed to help you lay as much power down on the road as possible. Mess around with the settings when driving in a straight line and see how the car responds differently!

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
Wes Howell
www.facebook.com/weshowellcreative
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car

Yeah - it happens. I wish MDM was less intrusive as well. I don't like driving around everywhere with no traction control - but I do. I know how to drive but would like the extra safety margin of MDM.

Also worth mentioning that BMW put tires that are too thin on this car. It would do better in all the reviews and track comparisons if it wasn't stuck with 275's Even some Pcars with less power have 295's.

Last edited by Wes Howell; 01-21-2015 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
Straight Dave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 e92 m3

I think my biggest fear is turning TC off in a street setting instead of at the track. Don't want a little spirited driving ending with me sideways into a concrete barrier. Also I've heard with TC off the car gets sideways pretty quickly if you don't watch yourself (and I certainly do not watch myself haha).
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
You're gonna get slowed down by either the TC or wheel spin. Try turning off TC and opening your windows under the same acceleration conditions and you'll hear the tires chirp, its totally normal in a car with this much power. . . You're going from no acceleration during the shift itself to WOT very quickly so the back tires want to break free for a second, but the TC isn't letting them. I can't comment on what's faster, letting the tires chirp or leaving TC on because I'm stuck with my winter setup at the moment I'm sure some of the other guys or Lups can share their experiences.

*Edit - you may not audibly hear the tires chirp since the car is sexy and loud, but you should 100% feel a different dynamic as the wheels slip a little. TC in the standard mode is designed to keep the car pointing forward and minimize tire spin in all circumstances. It is not designed to help you lay as much power down on the road as possible. Mess around with the settings when driving in a straight line and see how the car responds differently!
I am pretty sure that one would be faster with DSC off, albeit with a little more risk .

I don't think that there is an actual loss of traction. My mpression is that DSC cuts power during shifts in anticipation of potential loss of traction.

When I was at the track last fall, MDM would cut power significantly during 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th shifts. When I turned DSC off, I did not get much wheel spin at all and the car remained perfectly poised but with the benefit of not losing power during shifts . My experience is with DCT, but I am pretty sure it is the same with a 6MT .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-21-2015 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #9
brianeck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am pretty sure that on would be faster with DSC off, albeit with a little more risk .

I don't think that there is an actual loss of traction. My mpression is that DSC cuts power during shifts in anticipation of potential loss of traction.

When I was at the track last fall, MDM would cut power significantly during 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th shifts. When I turned DSC off, I did not get much wheel spin at all and the car remained perfectly poised but with the benefit of not losing power during shifts . My experience is with DCT, but I am pretty sure it is the same with a 6MT .
Ha thanks for the insight I also agree with a few posts up that the MDM seems to be quite intrusive as well, although I can't really give a totally fair assessment because I'm running 255 rear rubber for another 3 months. Accordingly I don't necessarily think its the worse thing in the world that the car's magic brain won't let me push it too hard since its currently geared up in a manner that should provide notably worse traction then OEM in the best of circumstances.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
Brady1984
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Rich View Post
Y'all just go right ahead.... http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1075458
      01-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #11
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady1984
Quote:
Y'all just go right ahead.... http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1075458
Some of us actually know how to drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #12
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady1984
Quote:
Some of us actually know how to drive.
That poor guy. At least he's famous now. Hopefully Daniel Tosh will give him a web redemption.
      01-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
brianeck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
That poor guy. At least he's famous now. Hopefully Daniel Tosh will give him a web redemption.
Haha I think he deserves it!

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Howell View Post
Yeah - it happens. I wish MDM was less intrusive as well. I don't like driving around everywhere with no traction control - but I do. I know how to drive but would like the extra safety margin of MDM.

Also worth mentioning that BMW put tires that are too thin on this car. It would do better in all the reviews and track comparisons if it wasn't stuck with 275's Even some Pcars with less power have 295's.
Just to address this for the 57th time...

Wider tires don't, by themselves, increase rear straight line traction.

Porsche isn't putting 295s on the rear of lower powered cars for straight line traction. It's putting them on there for lateral traction with their suspension design. Besides which, Porsche needs LESS rear tire for straight line traction with their rear engined vehicles anyway (due to better weight/pressure on the rear tread).
      01-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
Wes Howell
www.facebook.com/weshowellcreative
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M4 Coupe Project Car

57 times eh? Wow, you're on quite the rampage. Congrats and good luck with that.

Wide tires don't help straight line traction? ok.. Thanks for the enlightenment.
All the dragsters and high HP car owners are going to feel SOOOO stupid....

My car has better traction with 295's than it did with the same rubber on 275's.

whatever....
Appreciate 0