Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
tkhan456
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 (MW/Black/Black 19")

What I've realized about the poor audio of the M4

It seems to be the satellite radio rather than the sound system itself for me. Sirius has terrible quality audio many times but when I stream from my iPhone, the sound is great after I've adjusted the equalizer a bit. The satellite radio however remains terrible. Anyone else have this feeling?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhan456 View Post
It seems to be the satellite radio rather than the sound system itself for me. Sirius has terrible quality audio many times but when I stream from my iPhone, the sound is great after I've adjusted the equalizer a bit. The satellite radio however remains terrible. Anyone else have this feeling?
Trust me, you're not the only one. Read my post and look at the wimpy speakers they put in our cars.
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1071574
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1061790
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
tkhan456
Private First Class
Rep

Well what I was saying was I don't think it's fully the sound system but more the the quality of Sirius because when I stream from my phone, it's sounds decent. I'm sure the upgrade will help for sure though. Seems everyone thinks so.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Xerxes480
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhan456 View Post
Satellite radio is terrible, in terms of sound quality. The stream is highly compressed. Honestly I don't think upgrading the speakers will improve Sirius sound. Other sound sources - definitely!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #5
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

Upgrading the speakers in my opinion will only make the sound quality worse when listening to Sirius. I replaced the entire stereo system in my 2008 Tacoma double cab when I purchased it new. It was by far the worse sounding stock stereo system I have heard. I installed a passive head unit (Eclipse CD7200MKII) since I was limited on space I installed a JL Audio HD900/5 amp with the JL Audio slim line subwoofer with custom built enclosure. I chose Hybrid Audio Technologies Clarius speakers for the front and rear doors. The entire cab of the Tacoma was wrapped in Dynamat Xtreme. I had the system professionally installed and tuned. When listening to CDs’s or connecting my Ipod to the system the sound was great. However once I switched over to Sirius the sound of the music can best be described as mediocre at best. Not as bad as listening to an AM radio station but not as good as a FM radio station. The better quality speaker you install in your vehicle or house will make a bad audio signal or recording sound worse and make the great recording shine.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
batchelorc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deez nuts

I spotify almost 100% of the time now. I use sat radio for fox news.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
3er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 Competition

This is all anyone needs to know to explain why satellite radio sucks balls.

"Channel quality is two flavors, stereo music channels at 39 kbit/s and mono talk channels at 16 kbit/s using proprietary compression. Many subscribers have complained about the low quality of satellite radio sound. But providers have stuck with the plan for more channels instead of better quality."
      12-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
tkhan456
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er
This is all anyone needs to know to explain why satellite radio sucks balls.

"Channel quality is two flavors, stereo music channels at 39 kbit/s and mono talk channels at 16 kbit/s using proprietary compression. Many subscribers have complained about the low quality of satellite radio sound. But providers have stuck with the plan for more channels instead of better quality."
I never had satellite radio until now. I was always under the impression it had good quality until I had it. Man does its sound quality suck.
Appreciate 0