BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
Merlin_83
Merlin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 6MT w/ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Unhappy When the dealer lifts car at the shop, looks like it is touching the plastic fascia ?

Greetings,

So - I am probably wrong here, but when I had my placed on lift for tire service recently I could have sworn where the lift pads were lifting the car from - it appeared like they did not use like an insert piece to insure the plastic fascia piece/side skirts would not touch the lift arm that has a socketed piece that goes into the lift spot location of the underside of car. It's like it seemed like the guy forgot, but maybe it just looks like it is close and touching, but really is not. Almost feel like they bulged the plastic piece, I always take my car to the dealer spotless and detailed. I always very politely ask if I may be outside and not in the work area of where the technician is and watch what he is doing. I am never intrusive and never bother the tech either.

Should there be a gap you can see from the arm of the lift and where the lift pad connects to the car ?

2012 E92 M3 ZCP | 2008 E90 335xi | 2008 E90 335i |
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
0_to_60
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

thats why i always remind them to put woodblocks in between
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_83 View Post
Greetings,

So - I am probably wrong here, but when I had my placed on lift for tire service recently I could have sworn where the lift pads were lifting the car from - it appeared like they did not use like an insert piece to insure the plastic fascia piece/side skirts would not touch the lift arm that has a socketed piece that goes into the lift spot location of the underside of car. It's like it seemed like the guy forgot, but maybe it just looks like it is close and touching, but really is not. Almost feel like they bulged the plastic piece, I always take my car to the dealer spotless and detailed. I always very politely ask if I may be outside and not in the work area of where the technician is and watch what he is doing. I am never intrusive and never bother the tech either.

Should there be a gap you can see from the arm of the lift and where the lift pad connects to the car ?
Thanks very much for starting this thread. My 2013 ZCP m3 is running on factory tires and i 've been worried anticipating changing tires at a tire shop. Is there something to request to make sure they don't damage the side skirts and/or plastic facia (i assume that's underneath the car ?).
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
Is there something to request to make sure they don't damage the side skirts and/or plastic facia (i assume that's underneath the car ?).
The car has 5 designed lift points. You should know where they are.
There are two on each side. Look under the car just behind the front wheel. you'll see a small, rectangular, plastic housing. That's one. Just in front of the back wheel is another.
You should ask the tire shop if they are going to lift the car on these four points and if not, why not. You should also buy 4 of these http://burgertuning.com/BMW_jack_pad_adapter.html so that if the tire guy doesn't have them you just give him yours to use. They distribute the load correctly and keep the plastic housing from being damaged.
The fifth point is along the center line in the front area.
Google has a lot more info for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

And the 6th point is right behind the rear diff
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
And the 6th point is right behind the rear diff
But was that rear differential area "lift point" put there by BMW as a lift point?
I know people use it, and they seem to have done it successfully, and it's recommended by many. I have thought about using it if the occasion calls for lifting the car off all four wheels. But I probably wont.
Instead, I'll use 4 strong floor jacks to hold the car up. Additionally, I plan on using some strategically placed back-up supports. I don't like jack stands; so, I'll likely use engineered cinder blocks in that role. Then, maybe, I'll crawl under it.
Appreciate 0