Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
Wilsonv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Locked car, instrument clusters stay on

Greetings from Australia,

Took delivery of a AY m4 last week. I got a quick question for you pros out there.

I locked my car fully, and the instrument clusters stay on for another 20-30 seconds? Also even if my key is not on me, i go try open the boot and this will activate the instrument cluster.

Anyone know if this is normal?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonv
Greetings from Australia,

Took delivery of a AY m4 last week. I got a quick question for you pros out there.

I locked my car fully, and the instrument clusters stay on for another 20-30 seconds? Also even if my key is not on me, i go try open the boot and this will activate the instrument cluster.

Anyone know if this is normal?
Yes...completely normal. After you turn off the car with the start button, press it once more to turn off the radio and other interior electronics. When you lock the car with the key fob or keyless entry, the instrument cluster will sun down fairly quickly. Congrats on your new M4.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #3
Wilsonv
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Yes...completely normal. After you turn off the car with the start button, press it once more to turn off the radio and other interior electronics. When you lock the car with the key fob or keyless entry, the instrument cluster will sun down fairly quickly. Congrats on your new M4.
Thank you for the response. I've had previous euro cars so i understand the 2 press that you've mentioned on engine button,cheers! But my instrument cluster stays on for at least 20-30 seconds after the car is fully locked and i am outside.

I can even turn on the instrument cluster when i don't even have the keys with me, by trying to open the boot.

Not sure if its default or coding error?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #4
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

congrats!

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just used my key fob to turn on electronics, then turn it off and timed the instrument cluster to sundown...about 25 seconds, so seems normal. You can go into the settings section and adjust duration of pathway lighting...I have mine set to 10 seconds.

You are good.

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Wilsonv
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I just used my key fob to turn on electronics, then turn it off and timed the instrument cluster to sundown...about 25 seconds, so seems normal. You can go into the settings section and adjust duration of pathway lighting...I have mine set to 10 seconds.

You are good.
Cheers!!! Now that boot function to activate my instrument cluster is annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #7
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonv
Quote:

You are good.
Cheers!!! Now that boot function to activate my instrument cluster is annoying.
Funny...I just realized what boot means...yes, the trunk does ignite the cluster briefly when it is opened with the fob or when you use your leg under the rear bumper. You may have to code this item and the cluster duration to your liking. I have zero experience with these mods. Again, welcome to the M family. Must be around 1 pm there in Australia.

Appreciate 0