ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
BMW - Protection 'add ons' (tires, appearance, etc) - Reviews and Comments?

Ok, so Lucy may actually arrive this week. Which means decision time on the host of options the dealership wants to sell me. Basically 3 categories and I am looking for feedback/reviews/comments from people on whether any of these are any good or if it is all just crap.

(my inherent reaction is that this stuff is all crap....but I want to keep an open mind)

1. Tire/Rim Protection

- saw @chicagoM4's thread on this, but not looking so much at the 'can I commit insurance fraud' angle (I wont) but the 'is this really worthwhile?'

The offer is up to $5k in coverage, 0 deductible, for 60 months would cost about $1200.

Obviously it is more the rims than the Rubber I am worried about - @sunnyboy had a review of the old coverage for his 335, but anybody have more recent experience?

2. Appearance Protection - BMW

Bunch of stuff (paint fixes, dent removal, replace lost keys, repair damage/staining of seats - and I have SS leather), etc. They key is the Front Windshield Protection - will basically repair/replace a new windshield. I have the HUD so the cost of this (about $1500 for 84 months) isn't obscene.

But, I also have glass coverage on my insurance policy with a $500 deductible. I guess this policy gets me one extra windshield (without a deductible) and all the other stuff.....so it may be worth it.

But, again, any reviews or opinions out there?

3. Protection Package

- basically interior protection and paint protection.
- not sure yet what the actual product on the exterior paint protection is
- provider is First Canadian Protection (who run extended warranties for BMW) It is their 'Platinum Shield': https://www.firstcanadian.ca/chemical.htm#

Will ignore the 'wont have to wax it' crap, but wondering if anyone knows anything about this as compared to, say, Xpel Opticoat or whatever.

(note; getting a 3M/Clearbra on hood anyway)

The interior thing doesn't interest me, but any reviews on the exterior stuff?

(of the 3, this is the one I am inclined to think is the biggest pile of crap.....but if someone says this is the bees knees, I should probably listen..)

thx folks.
      12-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

Tire insurance is a very good investment. But your cost is very steep. I paid $1700 for 5 years unlimited claims and 0 deductible.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWcoupe View Post
Tire insurance is a very good investment. But your cost is very steep. I paid $1700 for 5 years unlimited claims and 0 deductible.
Did you exceed $5k in claims in the 5 years?

(I guess that makes the decision on whether $1200 is too steep for $5k of coverage vs your $1700 for unlimited....)
      12-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak
Quote:
Did you exceed $5k in claims in the 5 years?

(I guess that makes the decision on whether $1200 is too steep for $5k of coverage vs your $1700 for unlimited....)
I live in New York City and the roads are horrible. My e90 went over 12k in claims within 5 years. Mostly due to bubble on tire.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

These packages (and others) were put in front of me the other day.

I was almost interested in the wheel package, but they don't cover cosmetic damage. Only if the wheel doesn't hold air. [knocks on wood] It has been a long time since I've had a flat so I'm riding that momentum.

My guess is that the Protection package is a local application of opticoat or whatever product that detailer uses/carries.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

I opted for #2 and #3. I got it for $1200 all in for both.

Figured a power polish, leather touch up's a few times a year, and free windshield once in the warranty period would be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #7
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Item 1

Do I read this correctly, $1200 cost for $5000 of protection
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Just be careful about the tire/wheel insurance. Mine refused to replace the wheel because the tire was not damaged.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I live in New York City and the roads are horrible. My e90 went over 12k in claims within 5 years. Mostly due to bubble on tire.

yowza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
These packages (and others) were put in front of me the other day.

I was almost interested in the wheel package, but they don't cover cosmetic damage. Only if the wheel doesn't hold air. [knocks on wood] It has been a long time since I've had a flat so I'm riding that momentum.
Good to note

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerj View Post
Just be careful about the tire/wheel insurance. Mine refused to replace the wheel because the tire was not damaged.
...which I think is what @rubber_ducky was getting at. I will ask the follow-up question.
      12-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Item 1

Do I read this correctly, $1200 cost for $5000 of protection
Yes. A bargain if you were actually thinking you'd replace all 4 rims and tires inside the 5 years, a rip-off if they only replace the rims/tires in the event they don't work at all (which seems to be the warning/experience of others....)

Leaning towards no here......
      12-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Yes. A bargain if you were actually thinking you'd replace all 4 rims and tires inside the 5 years, a rip-off if they only replace the rims/tires in the event they don't work at all (which seems to be the warning/experience of others....)

Leaning towards no here......
Since they are in it for the money, I suspect the latter
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #12
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

The answer to whether or not the packages are worth it or not depends a lot on your driving habits and the environment in which you drive. If you drive everyday putting a lot of miles on your car and you encounter numerous potholes, unpaved roads, and the need to parallel park many times around other cars than the insurance will probably pay for itself. If you drive a few thousand miles a year on pristine roads... well, you get the idea
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #13
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Since they are in it for the money, I suspect the latter
What?

How could you be so cynical?

Yeah, the more I think about it the less I think there is any way that the package will actually see my wheels replaced if I happen to curb the rims a few times....

....and as I was typing that, got the email from the dealership with the terms attached. Expressly says it does not include damage from impact with anything not a 'Road Hazard, including impact with a curb'

(Road Hazards being defined as 'a condition on a public highway that should not be there, including nails, screws, glass, loose objects and debris'.)

Also expressly says does not apply to cosmetic damage

So, if I hit a bottle and lose my wheel it pays. Short of that....unlikely.

So that is a big 'no' on the tire package.
      12-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #14
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
The answer to whether or not the packages are worth it or not depends a lot on your driving habits and the environment in which you drive. If you drive everyday putting a lot of miles on your car and you encounter numerous potholes, unpaved roads, and the need to parallel park many times around other cars than the insurance will probably pay for itself. If you drive a few thousand miles a year on pristine roads... well, you get the idea
This is right on. Some will come out ahead, but more won't. Otherwise they wouldn't be pushing these packages.

My dealer offers a key replacement package. Which seems crazy.

Massachusetts has no-cost windshield replacements, so my NH-based dealer had that working against them.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #15
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
What?

How could you be so cynical?

Yeah, the more I think about it the less I think there is any way that the package will actually see my wheels replaced if I happen to curb the rims a few times....

....and as I was typing that, got the email from the dealership with the terms attached. Expressly says it does not include damage from impact with anything not a 'Road Hazard, including impact with a curb'

(Road Hazards being defined as 'a condition on a public highway that should not be there, including nails, screws, glass, loose objects and debris'.)

Also expressly says does not apply to cosmetic damage

So, if I hit a bottle and lose my wheel it pays. Short of that....unlikely.

So that is a big 'no' on the tire package.
These are the reasons I bought it at $600 with the rebate. I'm not even sure if it will be worth it at that price, but definitely was not worth it to me for $1200-1350.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #16
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I know this is obvious, but insurance is only worth it if you need it. I was debating on getting tire insurance for my last M3 when I bought the car and decided against getting it. In the 3 and a half years I drove it, I had to patch the tire once for $20. So in my case, it would have been a waste of $1500+

Ditto on the Appearance protection. Have you ever had $1500 worth of damage to your car that wasn't covered by your insurance? PDR doesn't cost much. Have you ever lost a key or damaged your interior? I haven't. For me, the worst that I've ever had was a big deep door ding that surely it would have costed less than $1500 to fix if I decided to. Don't think this is worth it unless you are parking in tight spaces all the time. The glass should be covered by your insurance.

For paint protection, I'd rather pay someone I trust to do it correctly and eliminate the middleman (dealership).

So for me, the answer is (and was) NO NO and NO.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #17
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
This is right on. Some will come out ahead, but more won't. Otherwise they wouldn't be pushing these packages.

My dealer offers a key replacement package. Which seems crazy.

Massachusetts has no-cost windshield replacements, so my NH-based dealer had that working against them.
Good lord; dealers would go under in Alberta if that were the package (I don't know if they could possibly find a coarser gravel than the sh*t they use on the highways here. It is an annual event with nearly every single car)
      12-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #18
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
I know this is obvious, but insurance is only worth it if you need it. I was debating on getting tire insurance for my last M3 when I bought the car and decided against getting it. In the 3 and a half years I drove it, I had to patch the tire once for $20. So in my case, it would have been a waste of $1500+

Ditto on the Appearance protection. Have you ever had $1500 worth of damage to your car that wasn't covered by your insurance? PDR doesn't cost much. Have you ever lost a key or damaged your interior? I haven't. For me, the worst that I've ever had was a big deep door ding that surely it would have costed less than $1500 to fix if I decided to. Don't think this is worth it unless you are parking in tight spaces all the time. The glass should be covered by your insurance.

For paint protection, I'd rather pay someone I trust to do it correctly and eliminate the middleman (dealership).

So for me, the answer is (and was) NO NO and NO.
Agree with all of it. Only lingering question in my mind at this point is the windshield replacement on the appearance package.....though I am leaning against it as well.
      12-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #19
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
These are the reasons I bought it at $600 with the rebate. I'm not even sure if it will be worth it at that price, but definitely was not worth it to me for $1200-1350.
So if you were to accidentally drive over an unpaved section of road because they are getting ready to repave (like most roads in Chicago at one point this year) and popped all four tires on debris/nails, $1,200 would still be too steep? I'm assuming you wouldn't patch your wheels since you bought the insurance for $600.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #20
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
So if you were to accidentally drive over an unpaved section of road because they are getting ready to repave (like most roads in Chicago at one point this year) and popped all four tires on debris/nails, $1,200 would still be too steep? I'm assuming you wouldn't patch your wheels since you bought the insurance for $600.
I'm not sure how to respond to this. I guess this could happen .

Warning! Here comes the usual anecdotal story of how I've been driving for a long time in many cars story etc. But, I've been driving for a long time in many different cars and never even remotely came close to dealing with a scenario like you have proposed. I can only think of one incident in many years that a tire was damaged by a road hazard. And Minnesota roads are not the greatest. Especially late winter early spring as you know.

If a road was truly that bad I would just pick a different route, especially in a M3/4 type of car. Rarely have I ever been boxed in that I had only one choice of route to take.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 01:33 PM   #21
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I'm not sure how to respond to this. I guess this could happen .

Warning! Here comes the usual anecdotal story of how I've been driving for a long time in many cars story etc. But, I've been driving for a long time in many different cars and never even remotely came close to dealing with a scenario like you have proposed. I can only think of one incident in many years that a tire was damaged by a road hazard. And Minnesota roads are not the greatest. Especially late winter early spring as you know.

If a road was truly that bad I would just pick a different route, especially in a M3/4 type of car. Rarely have I ever been boxed that I had only one choice of route to take.
Fair enough. I only ask because in Chicago this year it happened quite often because of the horrible weather we got last winter. Luckily, it hasn't happened in the one week of owning the M4 and I, too, would take a detour if I came across a crappy road, but in my Z4 this summer it was a once in a weekend event which popped 2 tires on 2 separate occasions. I got the first one replaced by BMW for ~$600 (all-in) and the second one patched for $30 (even though it had RFT). I guess Chicago roads scare me enough to pay for strange insurance.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #22
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough. I only ask because in Chicago this year it happened quite often because of the horrible weather we got last winter. Luckily, it hasn't happened in the one week of owning the M4 and I, too, would take a detour if I came across a crappy road, but in my Z4 this summer it was a once in a weekend event which popped 2 tires on 2 separate occasions. I got the first one replaced by BMW for ~$600 (all-in) and the second one patched for $30 (even though it had RFT). I guess Chicago roads scare me enough to pay for strange insurance.
Like you said, every bodies experience is different and therefore each insurance package will be worth more or less to each individual.

Just a note, I would never get my tire replaced by a BMW dealer. You will almost always get taken to the cleaners compared to a non dealer tire shop.
Appreciate 0