Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-09-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

M certified BMW dealerships

Why are not all BMW dealerships M certified? How are they different than others that don't carry this certification?
      11-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Frankly, I think it likely has to do with sales volume. It's not like M cars are some exotic car built from the ground up. They take BMW's every day models and the M team make them performance cars. Every BMW dealer can sell and service an M car, some sell and service more than others. Here's a promo from an "M certified dealer" "X BMW is proud to announce our distinction as an M-Certified BMW dealership. As one of the few M-Certified dealers in the United States, X BMW has access to exclusive M models and materials, including previews of M products before they go to market. Our expert sales and service technicians have undergone training to gain special insights into the M models, thereby providing clients with complete competence and confidence in all matters related to the high performance series. Along with all BMW M-Certified dealers, X BMW aims to live up to the luxury BMW brand and its reputation." Not sure what exclusive access to M models or special insights mean, lol.
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
nickdrivesm3
Motorsport Product Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs...duh

It was originally supposed to be an exclusive certification the dealership could get that would allow them priority for M cars. Both for sales, service and parts I think. Special Motorsport Technicians and Client Advisers with in-depth knowledge of M cars. It was something former M Brand Manager Larry Koch was putting together. When he retired the program was resurrected by his successor and put onto the market. Its clearly under developed and does nothing truly special to set the dealership apart from one another. Its basically just a marketing thing to make customers think this dealership is the place to go for M Cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

^Thanks for clarification guys.
      12-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
CJinGJ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M4

M Certified Dealerships

I'm new to the site. I've been lurking for a while now and have found a ton of great info on here. I'm currently driving a 2008 ISF and have enjoyed if from day one. The new F82 is just to much for me to say no to and I'm ready for pull the trigger on ordering one up. Really the only item left to decide on car is AW or YMB. I live in western Colorado and will be ordering it from a dealership in the Denver Metro area and this leads me into my question. Are there any advantages to a M Certified Dealerships when it comes to purchasing or maintenance on the car? I have read some positive comments on here regarding Schomp BMW in south Denver.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Other folks may have a different opinion, but being an "M certified" dealer is a marketing ploy. Most master techs at your local BMW dealership should be able to perform routine maintenance on the F8x. There are differences on the s55 engine, so make sure your SA and even service manager have all the items in stock for your break in service at or around 1200 miles. Having a good relationship with a competent local dealer is much more important than the aforementioned "M" designation.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Other folks may have a different opinion, but being an "M certified" dealer is a marketing ploy. Most master techs at your local BMW dealership should be able to perform routine maintenance on the F8x. There are differences on the s55 engine, so make sure your SA and even service manager have all the items in stock for your break in service at or around 1200 miles. Having a good relationship with a competent local dealer is much more important than the aforementioned "M" designation.
+1
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
@nickdrivesm3 answered that before but I'll save you the click

Quote:
It was originally supposed to be an exclusive certification the dealership could get that would allow them priority for M cars. Both for sales, service and parts I think. Special Motorsport Technicians and Client Advisers with in-depth knowledge of M cars. It was something former M Brand Manager Larry Koch was putting together. When he retired the program was resurrected by his successor and put onto the market. Its clearly under developed and does nothing truly special to set the dealership apart from one another. Its basically just a marketing thing to make customers think this dealership is the place to go for M Cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
nickdrivesm3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
@nickdrivesm3 answered that before but I'll save you the click
Thanks for that
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #10
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Not in anyway questioning your knowledge on this. What I find odd is if it really does not mean anything, and I owned a dealership and did not have that 'certification', then I would be crazy pissy until I got it. Marketing in this business is HUGE. For one dealer to have a leg up on anther within the same city by the designation 'M Certified' is a big deal.

Even if it does not mean anything, other than a title, there must be some hoops to jump through in order to obtain it.

Of course I could just be nutty and the owner could go out today and slap a sign on their building that states 'M Certified'. Of course they would use the special 2 sided tape in order to do so. Not the cheap stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi
Not in anyway questioning your knowledge on this. What I find odd is if it really does not mean anything, and I owned a dealership and did not have that 'certification', then I would be crazy pissy until I got it. Marketing in this business is HUGE. For one dealer to have a leg up on anther within the same city by the designation 'M Certified' is a big deal.

Even if it does not mean anything, other than a title, there must be some hoops to jump through in order to obtain it.

Of course I could just be nutty and the owner could go out today and slap a sign on their building that states 'M Certified'. Of course they would use the special 2 sided tape in order to do so. Not the cheap stuff
Reality versus perception: the eternal struggle to make them match...I agree, if you have the means to separate yourself by skill or otherwise to augment your business, go for it. I just think this detail is less important than having a reliable and fair dealer/service department. Unfortunately, my local dealer has an average reputation despite having qualified "master techs".

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
Not in anyway questioning your knowledge on this. What I find odd is if it really does not mean anything, and I owned a dealership and did not have that 'certification', then I would be crazy pissy until I got it.
I think you need to consider that the people on this forum are probably the top 1% of engaged, knowledgeable M buyers and we're all confused, "does it mean anything??"

Further, I bet if you took a poll here and said, "how many people here asked their dealer if they were M certified?" you'd get an answer of zero.

Therefore the dealers mostly don't give a crap.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I think you need to consider that the people on this forum are probably the top 1% of engaged, knowledgeable M buyers and we're all confused, "does it mean anything??"

Further, I bet if you took a poll here and said, "how many people here asked their dealer if they were M certified?" you'd get an answer of zero.

Therefore the dealers mostly don't give a crap.
I agree with GrussGott. Everything you learn on this board and the attention to detail that forum members have here is at an absurd level. Most of us spend way too much time here. My brother is friends with a guy who bought an M6GC. He did ED, but my brother said he didn't even know if he got the competition pack. He assumed he did because he called the dealer and said he wanted "all the options" and just gave the dealer the color he wanted.

Some forum members heads would explode hearing that.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 01:51 AM   #14
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

On bmwusa.com one of the filters is for M certified dealers. Other than that...doesn't really mean squat
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #15
nickdrivesm3
United_States
Rep

Try to understand that most people out there are not "car people". Including ones that are employed at a dealership. That does not mean the entire dealership doesn't care about you or your car but a majority of the people who come through a dealership want a car to get them from point A to B. For whatever reason, they chose a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #16
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

M Certification is a not just a ploy. There's some bad info here.

M stores will get significantly more allocation of M vehicles than other stores. It requires a certain level of staffing of M Certified Client Advisors and technicians.

Oh and the certification class is AWESOME (I've done it) and it involves a lot of classroom and track time.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #17
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Vil

M stores will get significantly more allocation of M vehicles than other stores. It requires a certain level of staffing of M Certified Client Advisors and technicians.

Oh and the certification class is AWESOME (I've done it) and it involves a lot of classroom and track time.
These forums are part of the Internets. That automatically qualifies everyone to be experts on every topic. I know I am!

What I posted was just simple logic. The bottom line is if it does not mean anything at all than every dealer would have a sign out front indicating they are M certified. Each dealer wants a way to set themselves apart from another. Especially a local competitor.

Does it mean anything to me? Not at all. I could not care less if a dealer is certified or not.

Does it mean something to the dealership owner/GM? I'd be willing to bet it does hold value in their eyes.
      12-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #18
nickdrivesm3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Vil View Post

Allocation is determined based on dealership size and Sales volume.

My dealership is "M Certified" but we did not go to any special training that included track time.

So, please, inform us of whatever you know because we simply and obviously do not...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #19
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Vil View Post

I don't think anyone is saying it's a ploy, we're saying it's a meaningless program to the consumer.

i.e., nobody here cares if their dealer is "m certified" or whether their CA is. Chances are people on this forum know WAY more than the CA.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #20
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdrivesm3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vil

Allocation is determined based on dealership size and Sales volume.

My dealership is "M Certified" but we did not go to any special training that included track time.

So, please, inform us of whatever you know because we simply and obviously do not...
2 out of 4 local dealers (20 mile radius) are "M certified".
They were the two shops that gave me the highest mark-up quotes on my F80. One of them proudly proclaimed "we are M certified, we do not negotiate".
Needless to say, neither one got my business.

The above customer turn-off line may, or may not be, part of "M certification" training ...

a
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #21
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

I am not going to get to deep into this bc there is a lot of fiction in this thread and also some fact. Not going to get into it sorry guys. When this M certified classification started there was only 30 of us in the beginning and there was only suppose to be 30-50 dealers in the whole US. It was a lot that went into the process and selection. At that time Ryan (who most of you all knew) was our internet sales rep and also the top M sales rep in the counrty 2 years in a row. We both went to PC in South Carolina for a full training on M product etc and yes tons of track time.. and it was AWESOME!!! I also posted a thread about it a while back you can search for it if you like. It was an amazing experience and also learned a ton!

The classification was going to be a lot more exclusive with various advantages but then BMW opened it up and it kinda of lost its luster IMO. I think if it stayed more exclusive to us original 30 dealers it would have been really cool. There was plans for launching special painted M cars etc.. to only those M certified dealers and also those dealers would have every M model in stock to view at anytime which would have been cool. Not sure what happened to the program but maybe one day it will get back on track and become a more exclusive thing again and I hope we qualify bc I think it would be a cool thing that we can have at our store and also share with the forum.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #22
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
2 out of 4 local dealers (20 mile radius) are "M certified".
They were the two shops that gave me the highest mark-up quotes on my F80. One of them proudly proclaimed "we are M certified, we do not negotiate".
Needless to say, neither one got my business.

The above customer turn-off line may, or may not be, part of "M certification" training ...

a
I went to an M certified local dealership a well, and also did not get a great price. That sales person even told me that the deals I had negotiated elsewhere were completely fabricated (of course they were not, since I just placed a deposit to lock in that same deal I showed)

That same M certified local dealership also has a SA that is refusing to install +10mm wider non RFT on my Z4 (even thought it is a replacement of a set of tires already on my car, which that same dealership installed (different SA though))

I personally haven't seen much benefit to this certification either, which too bad because what GOLFFRR posted sounds very cool
Appreciate 0