proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #1
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Something missing/lost with the new M4

Firstly please do not read this as somebody trolling.

I've had my M4 since September and having recently completed break-in, I'm now taking it that bit further up the rev range. So far so good.
However, I feel the car is too refined and lacking the same feedback as the previous E92. My old car had the competiton pack so maybe it was more hardcore anyway?
I'm hoping time will improve my gelling with this car. On familiar roads to me I feel like I have to be going a lot faster to gain the level of enjoyment I got from the last car and to me its just too dangerous to push beyond the high speeds I was doing in the E92 on these roads.
Or perhaps the cold weather and greasy roads arent helping here in uk.

I'm eventually going to get out on a track and find the limits of this beast, and hopefully a better feel for this car.

Anybody else at this stage sharing similar thoughts?

I really love the looks and the interior but the driving experience counts a lot too and is pretty much no.1 on the agenda for me.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 06:34 AM   #2
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

This idea has popped up a few times - Every time it sounds to me like people would actually like a step backwards in engineering so instead of going around the corner at 60mph in complete control, you'd rather only be able to go around it at 40mph using all your skill to hold on for control.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2014, 06:52 AM   #3
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

I had the same sentiments until I completed a track day. The limits are definitely higher and you will have to push further for the same thrill. But that's been the case for every new model from every manufacturer. You can help mitigate it by adding a little more feel, such as a stiffer suspension, louder exhaust, etc. that'll bring back some of the archaic remnants of yore

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
England
Rep

Sounds like I need to up the pace, as I thought. I'll make some time to go into the Peak District when the roads are dry.
So many blind corners around here which are too dangerous to take at higher speeds.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

The vehicle has evolved. Cieling can't be felt safely without tracking vehicle.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 2
      12-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Can I ask what Transmission you have? I love both of them but most of these complaints seem to come from the DCT owners. Your point as a whole has merit no doubt, but I think 6-MT owners feel slightly less removed from this car than the DCT owners do.

I just drove my first DCT yesterday and enjoyed it a great deal. The lack of crawl when removing your foot from the gas took a bit to get used to, as did the lack of park. But it surely felt faster than my manual and a bit more refined too.
      12-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #7
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
England
Rep

It's DCT as was my previous M3. I do miss some elements of MT but DCT also has advantages for me as i'm very often crawling in city traffic.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Santorini View Post

I've had my M4 since September and having recently completed break-in, I'm now taking it that bit further up the rev range. So far so good.
However, I feel the car is too refined and lacking the same feedback as the previous E92. My old car had the competiton pack so maybe it was more hardcore anyway?
I'm hoping time will improve my gelling with this car. On familiar roads to me I feel like I have to be going a lot faster to gain the level of enjoyment I got from the last car and to me its just too dangerous to push beyond the high speeds I was doing in the E92 on these roads.

I'm eventually going to get out on a track and find the limits of this beast, and hopefully a better feel for this car.

I really love the looks and the interior but the driving experience counts a lot too and is pretty much no.1 on the agenda for me.

Bob
hey bob,

I think increasingly, these cars need to be tracked to fully appreciate. Mainly because of the fact that they are so capable these days that as you say, the limits are higher than ever.

Personally, I cant get close to fully enjoying the performance of any remotely modern car, even an e46, on city streets. Once you start tracking, everything else on the street feels unsafe and slow. But, maybe you have better access to good roads than I do living in TX.

At the end of the day, I love my car because it is still very powerful and handles very well on the street, and I appreciate its capability and enjoy it. I don't drive super hard on the street because IMO it is unsafe and pales in comparison to the track.

My personal opinion is that it is much better on track than the heavy and understeery e92 m3. Im not one to heavily mod my cars for track purposes, so out of the box this car is very enjoyable and extremely capable. Add in a little power oversteer on command, and its great fun.

Long story short, I don't disagree with your premise, and I think once you track it you will appreciate what this bad boy can do
      12-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #9
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJ
This idea has popped up a few times - Every time it sounds to me like people would actually like a step backwards in engineering so instead of going around the corner at 60mph in complete control, you'd rather only be able to go around it at 40mph using all your skill to hold on for control.
+1. People complain about refinement and capability suitable for track. Seriously?

There are dozens of cars that cost much less if you want that shit yourself feeling when taking that 40 MPH off ramp at 45 MPH on your way to work. But I'm guessing those are not refined or capable enough (or wear the right badge).
      12-03-2014, 07:34 AM   #10
Gstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 GT350, '15 M4 sold

I don't have any track experience and this is my first M. I have driven manual trans for 20 years. I love this car. I can go 20 MPH around a tight country turn and downshift and gun-it and it is on rails. 0-60 in sport + throttle it is violently fast.

I don't need to drive 150 MPH/take it to it's limits to enjoy this beast.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #11
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
I had the same sentiments until I completed a track day. The limits are definitely higher and you will have to push further for the same thrill. But that's been the case for every new model from every manufacturer. You can help mitigate it by adding a little more feel, such as a stiffer suspension, louder exhaust, etc. that'll bring back some of the archaic remnants of yore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
The vehicle has evolved. Cieling can't be felt safely without tracking vehicle.

Spot on. Which begs the question:

Q: Why buy an M3 if you never track it? (roughly 70% of M3/4 drivers)

A: Because it's more exclusive and it looks effing cool, that's why!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #12
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Also, these early adopter remorse threads are beginning to feel a heck of a lot like early f30 threads. Both the f30 and f80 looks fantastic on paper, and are very positively received by reviewers. But the visceral feeling, emotions and daily driving fun are lacking. Not sure what you want to call it. More frills, less thrills.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #13
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
I'll tell you what's missing...no more m3 logod floor mats.

And no m3 stamped into the hood. Other than that it seems better, the f8x
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
rsr racer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6

Quote:

Bob
its like the others have said... a very evolved car.

try this: turn off all of the drivers' aid nanny's and then give it a chance and wring it out on your favorite back roads. It may just be what you are looking for feedback-wise
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo
Also, these early adopter remorse threads are beginning to feel a heck of a lot like early f30 threads. Both the f30 and f80 looks fantastic on paper, and are very positively received by reviewers. But the visceral feeling, emotions and daily driving fun are lacking. Not sure what you want to call it. More frills, less thrills.
Sounds to me like you are hating to hate...

Fact- The F30 does suck because it was made to be more Lexus like and softer. It's not even remotely close to the driving experience of the e90. I felt that about 1 minute after driving it.

Fact #2 - The F80 was made to be more hardcore than the e90 M and those that have tracked it will agree.

opinion 1- Many, myself included think that the regular 3 series completely sucks, comes with about 100 hp to little, a God awful 8 spd tranny and the worst steering system known to mankind. Those reasons alone are enough to get an M3.

Opnion 2 - An idiot would buy a $60 K 335i when a base M3 can be had for 2-3k more.
      12-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #16
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
The f8x corners better and flatter, it's also faster. What more could you ask for? The rest is just bs.... Or buyers remorse They even gave you fancy bucket seats with lights in them
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #17
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post

Fact- The F30 does suck because it was made to be more Lexus like and softer. It's not even remotely close to the driving experience of the e90. I felt that about 1 minute after driving it.

Fact #2 - The F80 was made to be more hardcore than the e90 M and those that have tracked it will agree.

opinion 1- Many, myself included think that the regular 3 series completely sucks, comes with about 100 hp to little, a God awful 8 spd tranny and the worst steering system known to mankind. Those reasons alone are enough to get an M3.

Opnion 2 - An idiot would buy a $60 K 335i when a base M3 can be had for 2-3k more.
FACT - your facts are opinions
      12-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #18
MasterC17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:

Hmm, I don't think the F30 sucks, and for daily driving purposes found it a better car than an E90. I agree on Fact #2. Again, the F30 has enough power for 99% of people buying one, the 8-Speed ZF is a fanstastic transmission, and the steering is lacking but not awful. Completely agree on Opinion #2!

To the OP - yes, to enjoy this car to the fullest you have to drive it to the limit which is higher than it was on the E9X - but it should be, that's called progress!
      12-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #19
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Is something lost? Yes, agreed, specifically steering feel and the overall mechanical feel of the E9X. Does the car need to be pushed closer to it's limits to be enjoyed? Totally disagree, this car has added a new element to the M3, the best of a muscle car while retaining the M3 excellent balance between engine and chassis. This means you can zip around town and be within speed limits and have a lot of fun using that constant muscle. Drive it like a little hot hatch and it's a hoot and it just gets better when you have a nice country road to devour. It's just as fun or more at any speed, it just lacks some of that feel to bring that ultimate connection between car and driver. It's a bit clinical but that's how things are in this era, even Porsches.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #20
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

ES TRADER, do we really need another badge (reminder) that we are driving an M3. I don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #21
haynstyleM2
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 M2

Quote:

Bob
it lacks soul..........but still, the new M's are frkn awesome!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #22
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:

Dwight Schrute, is that you?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0