BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
Jzambrano7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SG/FR E90M3

Currently in the market

I know this question must be asked a bunch but I was having difficulty searching for an answer.

I'm currently in the market for an e90 m3 2009 50k range mileage. My main concern is this rod bearing and ac compressor issue.

How concerned should I be about getting in an m3 with 50k + mile? Is something around the 70-80k range way too risky?

Are there any steps I should take when looking at one to watch out for and if so what?

I'm sorry if I'm repeating frequently repeated questions, appreciate the help in advance.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Conventional wisdom will say stay away from a car that's been S/C ed unless you know the entire history and owner. Next the compressor isn't a issue.....it's the evaporator you have to worry about. Do as much homework as you can and join the club. You won't regret the move..............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
Jzambrano7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder
Conventional wisdom will say stay away from a car that's been S/C ed unless you know the entire history and owner. Next the compressor isn't a issue.....it's the evaporator you have to worry about. Do as much homework as you can and join the club. You won't regret the move..............Phil
Thanks! yes I'm hoping to be upgraded by spring. My e46 has served me well but it's time for the next level.

Was definitely looking for something as stock and well maintained as possible. Not interested in a SC as I will be going from a mere 325xi into this beast and that should be enough power to keep a grin on my face.

Pics of my e46.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
Jzambrano7
Private First Class
Rep

Two more.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

That E46 looks AWESOME! Very nice.

There is no real way to evaluate a used car's bearing condition or evaporator besides the common "listen to it run" and "leak check".

A pre purchase inspection at a BMW shop is nice to have, although it is just a visual inspection. If you have the know how to inspect the car yourself, you can save the $150.
Also, just try and know the history of the car. For ex: My car had 4 prev owners which sounds bad on paper, but I found out the history and everything checked out better than ok.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
Wilsel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Currently seeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxa121 View Post
That E46 looks AWESOME! Very nice.

There is no real way to evaluate a used car's bearing condition or evaporator besides the common "listen to it run" and "leak check".

A pre purchase inspection at a BMW shop is nice to have, although it is just a visual inspection. If you have the know how to inspect the car yourself, you can save the $150.
Also, just try and know the history of the car. For ex: My car had 4 prev owners which sounds bad on paper, but I found out the history and everything checked out better than ok.
He's right. A PPI will not catch those 2 things. Anyone could buy a R134A refill kit at autozone and refill the system. The person doing a PPI will only check to see if the AC works.
They can't see the rod bearings either. At most they check for oil leaks. The only real way to know is to have an oil analysis performed or pull the pan and remove the rod bearings for inspection.. Not something I would want anyone other than myself doing. You have to take a leap of faith when buying used.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

When / if i sell my car, I have an oil analysis from every one of my oil changes that I can show to the prospective buyer... You might find other sellers like me....?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Any reason for staying away from S/C one? they seem to be reliable
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
Jzambrano7
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the compliments on my E46. I'm definitely leaning towards a vehicle under warranty and will do all necessary checks once purchased.

Just so tough to find anything nice with Fox trot interior and good mileage. I feel a little hesitant in getting into one with over 60k miles. Meanwhile my budget is under 33K.

Tough I know, the good news is I still have a couple months before Spring and if I have to cough up another 3k just to ensure I get exactly what I'm searching for then so be it.

From what I have researched Evaporator and Rod Bearings are the main worry.

Evaporators can go depending on usage or conditions (humidity, usage) and require the whole dash to be removed. Making it PITA to DIY.

Then the rod bearing issue which completely freaked me out but should be alright as long as I purchase a car still under warranty and have the oil analyzed soon after.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

I would try to get the car for 30k, and put 3 k aside to do a spark plug replacement, check belts/hoses, brake fluid change, oil and filter change and bearing change. I think if you take that approach you wont have much to worry about. Its such a fun car to drive. Its not cheap to maintain but few sportscars are.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0