BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-20-2014, 11:48 PM   #1
jdlivxx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Took my car in for 4 services today...

Car is a 2012 135i dct

First was an oil change. This posed no issue.

Second was a vanos recall. This posed no issue.

Third was for the idle fluctuation. This they gave me a little issue for. Saying that I might have to pay for this. I will not be paying. The car should not rev 500rpms every time I come to a stop.

Fourth was for warped rotors. This posed a bigger problem. I bought the car cpo in June with 27k miles. I am at 33k miles now.

Now the fun part.
The car has already been in twice for warped rotors.
The first at 14k miles. They replaced front brakes and rotors.
The second time was in march with 24k miles. Again they they replaced front pads and rotors.

The sa told me they might need to open a case with bmw because it has had the same issue twice already. Also they were going to see how hard I was driving the car because it should not have warped rotors. ( I drive on the 405 and 101 during rush hour, my spirited driving is minimal at best).
I told them not my problem. Steering wheel shakes at 50mph and is not safe to drive.

Has anyone had either of those issues with the dealer?

Tldr.... dealer wants me to pay for a software update and they want to open a case with bmw for warped rotors 3 times in 33k miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 12:48 AM   #2
1descending
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Have they replaced the wheel bearings ever? That would explain the warped rotors and steering wheel shake. Or maybe they are torquing the lug nuts very unevenly but I wouldn't bet on that...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

I'd call BS on paying for the S/W update. I also have a 2012 DCT (not even a CPO), and I just had it done at no cost. I gave the SA the SIB number and said it had the idle fluctuation, so they updated it at the same time they did the VANOS recall.

BTW, the idle has been spot on at 700rpm ever since. I can't make it fluctuate even when I try. I'm happy about that because that 200-300 rpm fluctuation pissed me off every time it did it, which was almost every time I stopped. Also, even more importantly, the rolling stop throttle response problems that were flat out dangerous seem to be cured now too. So far, I'm very happy with this S/W update. I don't have any brake rotor issues so far, so can't comment on that, except now I'm getting worried.

But back to your situation, I'd raise hell. It's a known problem with a known fix and you are under warranty. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

You're in SoCal. You have the luxury of choosing from various dealers. I say go to a different dealership and have them diagnose your issue and perform the fixes. I'm sure you'll have another dealer not too far away.
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

What dealer are you going to? I can recommend you my SA which has nothing but awesome to me. Shoot me a PM
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
jdlivxx
Private
Rep

As
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
jdlivxx
Private
Rep

I spoke with them today at 930 and they were working on the vanos. I called again at 630 and they said they were still working on the vanos. I thought this was a few hour job?

Then I asked about the rotors and they said that parts weren't pulled yet and would need to be looked at by the shop foreman.

Tomorrow is day 4 and I am starting to worry that something else is wrong with my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 11:13 PM   #8
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlivxx View Post
I spoke with them today at 930 and they were working on the vanos. I called again at 630 and they said they were still working on the vanos. I thought this was a few hour job?

Then I asked about the rotors and they said that parts weren't pulled yet and would need to be looked at by the shop foreman.

Tomorrow is day 4 and I am starting to worry that something else is wrong with my car.
VANOS bolts on a 135i take me about 2-3 hours. Warranty time is 4.6 hours, I believe. If there is a sheared bolt and I have to drop the subframe to pull the oil pan, that car will probably get held.

SI34 01 14 regarding a shimmy when applying the brakes at high speed. I don't blame them for being cautious about denying your repair, 3 times is unheard of and BMW might not reimburse the warranty claim.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #9
awns729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

Is it possible that pads just need to be re-bedded and the rotors aren't warped?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 01:02 AM   #10
jdlivxx
Private
Rep

Everything got taken care of except for the idle fluctuation. They checked after they did the vanos and could not replicate it. It has not done it you so I am not worried.
They were hesitant with the brakes but bmw finally signed off and I got new brakes, rotors and sensors.

When I picked it up they told me about my front tires being shot. Only the insides on both front tires are bald. Outside is almost brand new. Seems like whoever did the cpo inspection did not the check alignment. Tires are Michelin pss with about 7k on them.

Wondering if the previous owner tracked it. Seems to be the most logical explanation for all of the issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlivxx View Post
Everything got taken care of except for the idle fluctuation. They checked after they did the vanos and could not replicate it. It has not done it you so I am not worried.
They were hesitant with the brakes but bmw finally signed off and I got new brakes, rotors and sensors.

When I picked it up they told me about my front tires being shot. Only the insides on both front tires are bald. Outside is almost brand new. Seems like whoever did the cpo inspection did not the check alignment. Tires are Michelin pss with about 7k on them.

Wondering if the previous owner tracked it. Seems to be the most logical explanation for all of the issues.

In that case, I hope you got an alignment done! Glad they took care of the brakes.