BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
jasonic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i convertible sport DCT

Talking New owner 2012 135i convertible in SoCal...

Hey guys,

Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to the community, and gush over my latest acquisition, a CPO 2012 135i 'vert DCT with PPK. This little Black on Black screamer came to me with 22k miles OEM warranty intact plus the CPO for early 30's at a local dealer here in SoCal. I can't believe all the car I got for the money, its almost rediculous.. Nav, power everything, for weeks I was still finding cool stuff all over the car. Not to mention it already had the PPK ecu mod installed..the sales person didn't even realize it..lol

2 months in, my enthusiasm has not waned. I have owned/driven many fun and go fast cars in my lifetime (supra/rx7/miata), but none have close to the comfort and versatility of this little gem.

Now I'm up 1,500 miles or so and am wondering about a few things. If you have a moment, perhaps you can lend me your opinion..

1) With all the sensory equipment and readouts in the Nav/Display on this little guy, its seems like it would be easy to just follow its suggested maintenance routine. Most importantly, oil chance intervals. Is the computer correct when its counting down to my next oil change? Is it actually monitoring my driving habits and reading system wide conditions in some way, or is it simply a dummy timer? Most importantly, should I do a chance when it says, or ignore it, and just change my oil every 5k to be safe like many recommend.

2) This is my first BMW. Like any brand out there I'm aware there have been issues with some models in the past. I've done my reading around the message boards, and haven't found a ton to go on in regards to any "common" issues on N55 equiped cars. Does this mean that aren't many to worry about? Potential future N54 style fuel pump issues aside, what should I be keeping an eye on. Again, this is my first BMW, any and all advice is welcome.

3) I'm warrantied to 2017, but the original "maintenance included" period will end in 2015. Should I shell out the extra $2000 to cover maintenance all the way to 2017? My wife is a skilled auto mechanic, even though she has no specific BMW experience will there be enough maintenance work from 2015 to 2017 to justify paying the 2k now?

4) On the light hearted side...Unlike many of the other fun/exciting to drive cars I've owned, there seems to be a bit less "brand/model based brotherly love" out there. Example: I wave at a guy in another 1 series, and I get a puzzled look, then he'll sorta pause, realize we're driving the same car, and give me the thumbs up. Miata/Rx7/Supra guys are all smiles and waves most all the time. Should I chock this up to BMW being more common place here in SoCal? Am I out of form waving at another BMW guy??! ..lol.

Any and all advice on this stuff is greatly appreciated.

Once again, very happy to be here, and a part of the BMW community.

-jasonic
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Gray_Panther
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i

1. You can rely on the computer although many people here will tell you to change at earlier intervals. Of course always better to change at earlier intervals.
2.i have n52. No comment.
3. If your wife is a skilled mechanic, what is worry with maintenance?!
4.its a bmw thing. Most wont understand :/

Congrats on pickup!! Enjoy it in good health. Please post pictures!
      10-12-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive28i

Congrats.

I picked up my first BMW a couple months ago too. 2013 CPO with just over 3K miles

Coming from an MX-5, I do feel a little more isolated. The 1er is more rare around here than my NC MX-5. But I kinda like that.

Handling is similar, but the power sure ain't. Nice score on the PPK -- I might add that if I can get a deal on it, but I hardly ever get to use the power I have so...

Welcome to the club. If I see you out there, I'll wave.

... gone but never forgotten ...
2013 135i M-Sport
Mineral Gray over Oyster Boston Leather
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
justinmj
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi wagon, '13 135i vert

Congratulations!

This is kind of amazing: In July, I bought basically the same car as you, except 15k miles and 2013. Literally the same except year: CPO 2013 135i vert, M-Sport, DCT, every option, w/ PPK. Wild, right? And I'm also in SoCal. Your deal sounds tremendous - considerably better than the around $38k-39k I paid for mine. Well done!

Can't comment with much wisdom on your queries, but I am curious about #1 myself...I wonder about shorter intervals perhaps. As far as #3, I opted out of the additional scheduled maintenance after doing an assessment of service costs vs. the cost of the plan. In a way, it seems like a toss up, with a slight advantage toward getting the pre-paid extra maintenance. I still opted out. BUT: factoring in your wife's skill set, and I think for you it would lean towards a "no" on that plan.

Enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Congratulations on your new ride and welcome to the forums! I recommend changing fluids at regular intervals rather than relying on the sensor/computer, or using BMW's intervals (which grew once they started paying for routine maintenance). Probably isn't worth $2K for only 2 years if BMW insists on sticking to their schedule. I don't know of any particular N55/DCT reliability issues, although I have concerns not based on data or experience regarding the long-term reliability/longevity of my turbo and DCT. There are very few other 1ers in my area. The 1er doesn't seem to have any cred with drivers of other BMWs, and 80% of other 1er drivers seem completly oblivious.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

The enthusiast car crowd is often dysfunctional with regard to brotherhood. Camaro guys with mods will diss Mustang guys with mods and vice versa, in spite of the fact that they have far more in common than they do with people who view cars like appliances.

With (arrogant?) BMW guys it frequently extends much farther. Even going to choice of transmissions (manual v auto inspires much scorn here). Don't get them started on Camaros and Mustangs, even though among car enthusiasts, we're part of the rare RWD group.

I find it all annoying. I like cars, and I like people who like cars. Period.

But my last car was an f-body (although it did have a manual) so what do I know?

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 10-13-2014 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats and welcome!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I'm not doing it 100% but I try to follow Mike Miller's old fashioned maintenance guide (google it). His recommendations are basically what BMW recommended before they started including maintenance in their price. In other words, he recommends more frequent fluid changes. His publication is a good read. He also writes a column for the Roundel, the publication of the BMW CCA (which you should join).

There is talk that all our our electric water pumps don't last much past 100K and some go earlier. I remember nothing specific to the n55.

All the added warranties are great deals for the seller - therefore at least on average bad deals for the purchaser. My 2009 is out of warranty and I did not extend it.

I think a lot of BMW drivers are into the luxury aspect more so than the sporty aspect. In other words, a Camry or Accord was not luxurious enough so they bought a BMW. To them, the car is just another appliance. They want a nice one but they don't care to know what it can really do - test it's limits. That's why I think BMW drivers usually do not wave to other BMW drivers. Personally, I give a tumbs up to all nice cars regardless of manufacturer but expecially to bimmers.