BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

10-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
GrahamDobbins
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JBM M3 BPM Sport Stage II

Locking a tow hook in place?

So I just purchased a tow hook for cosmetic purchases, however I have one problem. The tw hook won't seem to lock into place, and I am worried that once I start driving it will be slamming into my bumper and scratching it. Does anyone know how to get this locked into place?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
AP3X_FTW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

You installed a tow hook for cosmetic purposes? Not sure I understand the point of this.

If you have a folding tow hook than there should be a screw or allen bolt which you can tighten, but it depends on what brand you have. Take a look at the VAC piece below.

For Sale - E92 M3 Full Black Interior Part Out
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 01:58 AM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

Don't worry about it not locking into place. My front and rear tow hooks fully lock but they're either at a 10 o'clock angle. I've been driving with a loose one for months, it hasn't made a full circle to show it'll come off while driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamDobbins View Post
So I just purchased a tow hook for cosmetic purchases, however I have one problem. The tw hook won't seem to lock into place, and I am worried that once I start driving it will be slamming into my bumper and scratching it. Does anyone know how to get this locked into place?
Perhaps it's the race car gods telling you this is a bad idea. Abort mission. No tow hooks for cosmetic purposes. Just kidding, it's your car, but honestly it's sort of like putting fake badges on the car.

Last edited by JD3; 11-07-2014 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
AP3X_FTW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Don't worry about it not locking into place. My front and rear tow hooks fully lock but they're either at a 10 o'clock angle. I've been driving with a loose one for months, it hasn't made a full circle to show it'll come off while driving.
He is not worried about the tow hook falling off the car. He is worried that he cannot tighten the hoop in place, and afraid it will make contact with his bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
Perhaps it's the race car gods telling you this is a bad idea. Abort mission. No tow hooks for cosmetic purposes. Just kidding, it's your car, but honestly it's sort of like putting fake badges on the car.
True. There is no reason to run these on the street, track car or not. They will cause more damage in the case of an accident. Plus, if you want your car to look like it has been to the track, why don't you actually go? (I don't mean any offense with this statement)

For Sale - E92 M3 Full Black Interior Part Out
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #6
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP3X_FTW View Post
He is not worried about the tow hook falling off the car. He is worried that he cannot tighten the hoop in place, and afraid it will make contact with his bumper.

True. There is no reason to run these on the street, track car or not. They will cause more damage in the case of an accident. Plus, if you want your car to look like it has been to the track, why don't you actually go? (I don't mean any offense with this statement)
If you lived in a big city it's actually not a bad idea for the street as everyone hits each others cars parkimg.
Appreciate 0