Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

09-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #1
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Euro Delivery in Winter Months

Does anyone have any idea how this would work? It's getting somewhat cold in Munich and I have no idea how this would work on PSS and so forth... also are there months that you cannot do Euro delivery? Thanks Again
      09-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
MrSmileyDC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW F82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP
Does anyone have any idea how this would work? It's getting somewhat cold in Munich and I have no idea how this would work on PSS and so forth... also are there months that you cannot do Euro delivery? Thanks Again
From what I have read there are certain months you are required to have winter tires on your car. Luckily, you can rent a winter setup while you are there and they will store your wheel/tires for you. Of course this only works well if you plan to start/end your trip at the same location.

ED 8/18 - PCD 10/19 | 2016 F82 M4 6MT | Alpine White | CF Roof | CF Trim | Black Extended Leather | Executive Package | Lighting Package | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" 437M Black Wheels
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #3
jayyp
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3

It is required by law to rent winter tires I believe. Im picking up my F80 in November and have put a deposit down for tire rentals over at http://www.edwintertires.com/testimonials.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
dclowd9901
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyp View Post
It is required by law to rent winter tires I believe. Im picking up my F80 in November and have put a deposit down for tire rentals over at http://www.edwintertires.com/testimonials.htm
This is *mostly* true in Europe and definitely true in Austria. Essentially:

1) If you're in, say, Germany or Switzerland, you're required to have the proper equipment should the environment necessitate it. I assume this is interpreted a couple ways:

a) if you're involved in an accident at all, and you don't have the proper tires, you're automatically liable (and will probably be ticketed to boot).

b) If you're trying to access a road that has inclement weather, you will not be permitted to go on it if you don't have the proper equipment.

2) If you're in Austria, it's automatically illegal. If you get pulled over and between Nov 1 and Apr 1 your tires are not M+S you will get a ticket.

Source: I'm doing an ED Nov 3rd - 15th and I've done a mountain of research on this, but I will only be getting edwintertires for my time in Italy/Switzerland (I'm not going to austria).
      09-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
Flamesofgold
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

What if you don't plan to drive at all?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyDC View Post
From what I have read there are certain months you are required to have winter tires on your car. Luckily, you can rent a winter setup while you are there and they will store your wheel/tires for you. Of course this only works well if you plan to start/end your trip at the same location.
Dates are October 15 to April 15, you need winter tires. There is a ED rental tire place that BMW will tell you about if you want to order a rental of the tires while you're there.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #7
Thor2j
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Garage List
2015 M5  [0.00]
Taking ED on Oct 16th. Here's the dilemma, pickup isn't until 430 pm. Not venturing much more then 3 hrs from munich any of the 4 days I will be there. Have a porsche factory tour in Stuttgart on the 17th at 10am. Dropping car off on Monday. Sooooooo, unless I pay for the tires to be done at the welt , won't be able to get the all season tires. Will probably check weather a week a head and decide what to do. In Austria it's November 1st. Germany is weather dependent after oct 15th, not illegal.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #8
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyp View Post
Germany
Winter tires are compulsory in Bavaria when driving in wintry conditions and a small fine will be levied for a first offence. If, however, the free flow of traffic has been affected due to a car not being equipped with Winter tires then the fine is doubled and the driver's license will incur a penalty point. In the event of a car fitted with Summer tires being responsible for a road accident then the fine will be further increased and 3 penalty points attributed to the license. The lack of Winter tires in such a situation will usually be judged as a significant factor in judging which driver is at fault in a traffic incident or road accident. The user of a vehicle without Winter tires may well find the motor insurance to be invalidated.

Austria
The use of winter tires is mandatory by law between November 1 and April 15. All-season tires comply if they carry the M+S mark and have at least 4 mm of tread. In addition, the use of snow chains may be made compulsory by the local police when heavy snow is falling or has fallen. Failure to comply with the law results in a fine up to 5,000 Euros and the vehicle's use suspended. Insurance is deemed void if a vehicle which is involved in an accident between November 1 and April 15 is not fitted with Winter tires.

France
The use of winter tires is not mandatory in France. Nevertheless in some situations special signs indicate that winter tires should be used. In mountainous areas signs warn drivers that snow chains are necessary. In France, drivers of automobiles that weigh up to 3.5 tonnes can use spikes from November until the end of March. Vehicles using spikes are restricted to a maximum speed of 90 km/h on out-of-town roads and 50 km/h in residential areas. In addition vehicles have to bare a badge indicating the use of spikes.

Switzerland
The Swiss regulations are similar to those used in France. There is no general obligation to use winter tires, although most motorist associations highly recommend the use of winter tires for insurance reasons. If an accident has been caused by the use of summer tires during the winter months this can lead to liability on the part of the driver, regardless of whether or not they have fully comprehensive insurance. Snow chains and spikes are generally optional, but their use can be enforced through road signs. Drivers using spikes are not generally allowed on motorways. Again, 50km/h and 80km/h speed limits are in place, in and out of town.

Italy
It is not compulsory to use winter tires in Italy although you are obliged to when the authorities request it. There are no regulations on the use of snow chains. Motorists using spikes have to comply with 90km/h and 50 km/h speed limits.

What the BMW ED website has to say about it:
Quote:
Germany passed a ruling that requires drivers to properly equip their vehicles according to inclement weather conditions. From October 15th until April 15th, driving conditions are dangerous due to ice or snow, cars must be equipped with All Season tires (also called 'M+S tires'). There might be street sections for which snow tires or even snow chains are declared mandatory. This often is the case for ski resorts and alpine passes. It is the responsibility of the car owner and driver to equip their vehicle appropriately for the prevailing weather conditions. If you do not appropriately equip your vehicle for the weather conditions that exist during your drive, obstruct traffic or get involved in an accident as a result thereof, it is possible you may be cited for a violation of the law by the local authorities or be found to be grossly negligent according to the law.Other countries you may visit including Austria and Switzerland may also have similar laws. If the Police find that you are not equipped with the appropriate items when the weather conditions deem them necessary, and if the officer feels that other traffic participants have been endangered, they have the authority to fine a driver 20 Euros or in some cases significantly higher.

Please carefully review the options, packages, wheels and standard equipment of the vehicle you ordered with your Client Advisor. Depending on the model and packages you selected, the wheels and tires may change. You should ensure you have the proper tires and wheel for the climate in which you plan to drive.

Customers have the option to leave their vehicle at BMW Welt for shipment to the U.S. if they prefer not to drive. There will be a fee of 70 Euro cash (no credit cards accepted), payable to the BMW Welt, for transportation of the vehicle from the Welt to the Munich drop off location.

The following website outlines a snow tire rental option and includes pricing and details of booking the tire rental in Germany. Please be advised that all cars must come back to Munich to have your original BMW tires put back on the car before shipment to the U.S.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 10:35 PM   #9
jayyp
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3

Thanks for clarifying my statement
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Germany
Winter tires are compulsory in Bavaria when driving in wintry conditions and a small fine will be levied for a first offence. If, however, the free flow of traffic has been affected due to a car not being equipped with Winter tires then the fine is doubled and the driver's license will incur a penalty point. In the event of a car fitted with Summer tires being responsible for a road accident then the fine will be further increased and 3 penalty points attributed to the license. The lack of Winter tires in such a situation will usually be judged as a significant factor in judging which driver is at fault in a traffic incident or road accident. The user of a vehicle without Winter tires may well find the motor insurance to be invalidated.

Austria
The use of winter tires is mandatory by law between November 1 and April 15. All-season tires comply if they carry the M+S mark and have at least 4 mm of tread. In addition, the use of snow chains may be made compulsory by the local police when heavy snow is falling or has fallen. Failure to comply with the law results in a fine up to 5,000 Euros and the vehicle's use suspended. Insurance is deemed void if a vehicle which is involved in an accident between November 1 and April 15 is not fitted with Winter tires.

France
The use of winter tires is not mandatory in France. Nevertheless in some situations special signs indicate that winter tires should be used. In mountainous areas signs warn drivers that snow chains are necessary. In France, drivers of automobiles that weigh up to 3.5 tonnes can use spikes from November until the end of March. Vehicles using spikes are restricted to a maximum speed of 90 km/h on out-of-town roads and 50 km/h in residential areas. In addition vehicles have to bare a badge indicating the use of spikes.

Switzerland
The Swiss regulations are similar to those used in France. There is no general obligation to use winter tires, although most motorist associations highly recommend the use of winter tires for insurance reasons. If an accident has been caused by the use of summer tires during the winter months this can lead to liability on the part of the driver, regardless of whether or not they have fully comprehensive insurance. Snow chains and spikes are generally optional, but their use can be enforced through road signs. Drivers using spikes are not generally allowed on motorways. Again, 50km/h and 80km/h speed limits are in place, in and out of town.

Italy
It is not compulsory to use winter tires in Italy although you are obliged to when the authorities request it. There are no regulations on the use of snow chains. Motorists using spikes have to comply with 90km/h and 50 km/h speed limits.

What the BMW ED website has to say about it:
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbruin108 View Post
Dates are October 15 to April 15, you need winter tires. There is a ED rental tire place that BMW will tell you about if you want to order a rental of the tires while you're there.
When will you be in Munich?
      09-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #11
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
When will you be in Munich?
I am in Munich as I type this. It has been cold but it has been worth it. Going to oktoberfest tomorrow. You can leave your M at the Welt until you are ready to pick her up the next day. That is what I'm going to do. =)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #12
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I am in Munich as I type this. It has been cold but it has been worth it. Going to oktoberfest tomorrow. You can leave your M at the Welt until you are ready to pick her up the next day. That is what I'm going to do. =)
Now that we've figured out that you need winter tires, and where to rent them, what do people who have done, or are planning to do ED in winter month actually DO in Germany in Dec-Feb?

What are the cool things to do in and around Munich in the winter?
Get in the car and rive south to Italy/Spain?

a
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #13
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Just arrived myself. Heading to octoberfest this afternoon.

Have fun!
      09-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #14
voodoogeek
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 moonstone

Garage List
2014 F82 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Now that we've figured out that you need winter tires, and where to rent them, what do people who have done, or are planning to do ED in winter month actually DO in Germany in Dec-Feb?

What are the cool things to do in and around Munich in the winter?
Get in the car and rive south to Italy/Spain?

a
Italy is not really nice in winter - north Italy can be quite snowy (and you don't want to experience italian streets with snow... stay in Switzerland if that is the case, but that doesn't make it better actually). on the other hand, last couple of years real coldness and snow only arrived in January. November+December have been almost snow-free in Switzerland.

south Italy is nicer, but not really warm either, and basically all the summer/beach resorts and installations are "dead" with no people/tourists.

the pass/mountain drives in Switzerland are cool, but again: in winter they are mostly closed.

also, winter tyres suck in my opinion. hate to drive in winter, in particular with performance cars. unless you have 4 wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

You're required to have winter tires during winter months. Even if you decide to ignore the law, you won't be able to go far with a RWD M3 on summer performance tires, so winters are a MUST.

The rental is quite expensive though:

210EUR for initial 2 days + 33EUR for each additional day. So a 10 day rental will run you 474EUR. Almost a price of a new 18" winters here in US.
      09-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #16
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoogeek View Post
Italy is not really nice in winter - north Italy can be quite snowy (and you don't want to experience italian streets with snow... stay in Switzerland if that is the case, but that doesn't make it better actually). on the other hand, last couple of years real coldness and snow only arrived in January. November+December have been almost snow-free in Switzerland.

south Italy is nicer, but not really warm either, and basically all the summer/beach resorts and installations are "dead" with no people/tourists.

the pass/mountain drives in Switzerland are cool, but again: in winter they are mostly closed.

also, winter tyres suck in my opinion. hate to drive in winter, in particular with performance cars. unless you have 4 wheel drive.
Thanks, voodoogeek, that's exactly the feedback I was soliciting.

Bottom line - winter is not very driver friendly anywhere in Europe. Passable, on winter tires, but not all that much fun for the driver.

In terms of passengers, there have to be some Xmas and New Year related festivities all over the place. Can anyone recommend something/anything exciting to do around Munich for the holidays?

Thanks,
a
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #17
Trimix
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F83 mainly :)

Go South to Tirol(Austria ) - Great Wellness Hotels and skiing depending on Time of Year. Also agree with an earlier quote of Lups on The subject: "driving on Snow is The most Fun Thing to do while wearing clothes".
Especially with rwd.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #18
Retina
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesofgold View Post
I have this same question. Would like to avoid the 70 euro charge and drop off the car at MUC as we leave but it may not be possible. Anyone with any experience regarding this?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #19
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
That is what I am thinking. Just pick up and drop-off, can't it be in the same spot?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #20
sal501
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
That is what I am thinking. Just pick up and drop-off, can't it be in the same spot?
I am sure you can drive it to the dropoff spot, its only few miles away. I was in Munich last week and it felt like summer.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #21
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Quote:
pay the peeps at the welt 70 euro cash and they will transport on via truck to the local port. That's what I'm doing :-) Or, 55 euro for them to drive it. I'll pay the 70! It's all in the euro delivery confirmation email from your CA.

Leaving Vehicles at the BMW Welt - As a European Delivery customer, you have the option to leave your vehicle at the BMW Welt for shipment to the U.S. if you prefer not to drive the car after your delivery experience. There will be a fee of 55 Euro cash if the vehicle is transported on its own wheels or 70 Euro cash if you wish to have your vehicle transported by truck. The fee will be paid directly to the BMW Welt. At this time, credit card payments are not accepted. Overnight parking is not possible at the BMW Welt.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 08:36 PM   #22
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexplode View Post
pay the peeps at the welt 70 euro cash and they will transport on via truck to the local port. That's what I'm doing :-) Or, 55 euro for them to drive it. I'll pay the 70! It's all in the euro delivery confirmation email from your CA.

Leaving Vehicles at the BMW Welt - As a European Delivery customer, you have the option to leave your vehicle at the BMW Welt for shipment to the U.S. if you prefer not to drive the car after your delivery experience. There will be a fee of 55 Euro cash if the vehicle is transported on its own wheels or 70 Euro cash if you wish to have your vehicle transported by truck. The fee will be paid directly to the BMW Welt. At this time, credit card payments are not accepted. Overnight parking is not possible at the BMW Welt.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0