proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

08-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
jayyp
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW F80 M3

European Delivery - Winter Tires

Hey guys,
I am confirmed for ED on November 21, 2014. Is it required/mandatory to fit on winter tires while going around this time? They are kind of expensive. Has anyone driven around Europe perfectly fine without winter tires? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

By this date it is absolutely mandatory for you to have them. You never know when a snow storm may come in or temperatures reach freezing.

In some countries, your insurance won't even be valid if you have an accident, since it's completely negligent to go without. The Pilot Super Sport tires that come with the car just do not work very well at freezing temperatures. You won't be able to go even 5mph through snow.

I got caught once in June with some very light snow on Pilot Sport tires, in California and had to get towed since there was no way to drive whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

There is a service near the welt that will swap your tires and rent you winter rubber for the trip. It's not that much actually. I believe the info was in ED packet or call the BMW hotline to set up.
      08-21-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

See:

http://www.edwintertires.com
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
jayyp
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I haven't received the packet yet. My date was just confirmed yesterday. Haha this wait is going to be a long one.... Thanks for the helpful replies everyone!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 03:34 AM   #6
voodoogeek
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 moonstone

Garage List
2014 F82 BMW M4  [0.00]
difficult to answer - I live in Zurich, slightly south from Munich, some 300km distance. the average temperature is around 4-10 degrees in November (celsius): http://weatherspark.com/averages/286...Bayern-Germany

below 3 degrees celsius, there could be "icy conditions" on the roads, that's why the car beeps when reaching below that temperature. this happens most in the mornings (morning frost) and/or on bridges, in particular where windy.

HOWEVER, if you're staying on the Autobahn and do not plan on going up the hills, you should be on the safe side. check the weather reports and avoid going where temperature is below 5 degrees celsius, and you should be fine. where to do you have to go after picking up the car in Munich, i.e. where is drop-off?

Switzerland should be quite fine, however I wouldn't exclude snow, but it would melt before you'd notice it, i.e. not stick on the street. but before December, I don't expect any snow here.

south France and spain shouldn't be a problem in November, temperature wise.

I usually wait until late november until I put on winter tyres.

in switzerland, they are not mandatory (legally), but insurance can opt to claim back on you should you be involved in an accident without winter tyres, where road condition would have required winter tyres. so it's depending on circumstances in the end. of course, when driving 100mph on a Autobahn, it's quite difficult to foresee a patch of icy/frosted road...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
jayyp
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I am planning to drive down to Zurich for a day or two! I will probably just rent some tires to be on the safe side. Thanks for the information voodoogeek!
Appreciate 0