F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Optional Extras
Extreme Powerhouse

12-08-2016, 05:11 AM   #23
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

The 55mpg is on a normal commute run, I am guessing that should I be really pushing on or having fun, then it would drop down to low 40's or even a few lower, but I can't condone that so I would never drive like that.

430d is only an auto I think, and the drive is amazing, if you are local you could pop round and I will show you.

I started of looking at a 420d, so glad these reprobates persuaded me into a 430d.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 05:14 AM   #24
Drek
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ferrari F430 F1

Not sure what comes with Park Assist on a 4 but I have it and apart from the first week I got the car I just don't use it. Never bothered with the lane change thing, couldn't see the point at all.
www.bmwland.org.uk
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 05:14 AM   #25
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

I had a 330d F30 and it averaged 49mpg over 30000 miles,

Lane assist is for decrepit old farts who can't look over their shoulder and you don't need park assist, it's not hard to park a car this size ffs

You'll get far more pleasure out of the 330d engine than the pointless gadgets
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 05:24 AM   #26
nickcooluz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 430d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Without it, it sort of makes the HUD redundant.

A HUD needs information input.

ACC, Speed display, Pro Media all make the HUD 'work'.
ACC isn't on my list. How is ACC linked to HUD?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 05:27 AM   #27
nickcooluz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Completely different to the x2.0 car.

Make sure it's a S Drive though.

Don't try comparing Xdrive and Sdrive and different engines.

First off you get much more available power, then there is the sports auto box, then for a Diesel it actually sounds okay.

Try it in comfort and then Sports.
S Drive is the normal standard wheel drive right? Is the sports auto box in 430 different to 420? I have heard that before - 430 sounds a lot meaner lol
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 05:32 AM   #28
nickcooluz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
I would certainly test drive a 430D and see if you think the bigger engine is worth it....would also help in resale value I think. if it is, also vote to drop sunroof (you have aircon) and Lane Change

If you go HUD, then speed limit seems an obvious? (I've got it - works well)

Absolute musts for me are mirrors, rear camera and heated seats/wheel - maybe extended storage?

And that auto box is SO nice!
Good advice thanks - might just drop the sunroof its not worth £895. Keeping the rest HUD, Speed limit, folding mirrors and seats but dont really need extra storage.. Cant wait to test drive both this weekend :P
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 05:38 AM   #29
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcooluz View Post
Cant wait to test drive both this weekend :P
that's the best way - mind and update us!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 05:39 AM   #30
nickcooluz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fireblade View Post
The 55mpg is on a normal commute run, I am guessing that should I be really pushing on or having fun, then it would drop down to low 40's or even a few lower, but I can't condone that so I would never drive like that.

430d is only an auto I think, and the drive is amazing, if you are local you could pop round and I will show you.

I started of looking at a 420d, so glad these reprobates persuaded me into a 430d.
55 is still very good for normal commute - I was under the impression that 430 would only deliver top 40s - that might just make me change my mind HA

Thanks for the offer but I live in the midlands I have booked a test drive to try both over the weekend!

Just the way you have persuaded me for a 430d over 420d

Thanks for great advice
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 05:41 AM   #31
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

4 cylinder diesel engines kill your soul.
Appreciate 1
nozydog465.00
      12-08-2016, 05:42 AM   #32
nickcooluz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Not sure what comes with Park Assist on a 4 but I have it and apart from the first week I got the car I just don't use it. Never bothered with the lane change thing, couldn't see the point at all.
Lot of people go for the park assist due the the reversing camera. I had a courtesy nissan xtrail and really liked the warning triangle on the wing mirrors when changing lanes - could be handy at times when going though the traffic :P
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 05:43 AM   #33
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

As I'm sure you've noticed already, you ask 20 people on here for advice you will get 25 different opinions!!! And all happy to spend your money for you and recommend options you did t even realise existed!!!

My tuppence worth is decide what engine/gearbox/drive you want and start there. Then decide what options are must haves to you and what would be a nice to have but not essential.

As others have stated the 3.0d models come with a few extra toys as standard and quite often turn out to be only 20-30 quid a month more than the 2.0d models. And as some one has just gone from a 320d to a 335d, the 6 cylinder models are far superior. Smoother, far more punchy, sound better and depending on how you drive, often the economy isn't too far off. Having said that I had a late night blast after a works Christmas do from Milton Keynes to Home via dropping people off and over 68 miles I averaged 35mpg!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 06:33 AM   #34
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

Nick

Not sure if you noticed but sliding armrest, heated steering wheel and folding rear seats are in the comfort pack. Add it up and it may be you'll be able to get heated front seats at very little extra. I didnt want a heated steering wheel or sliding arm rest but they cost me £15 over buying what I did want with the pack. I think its about £715 in total Oh and you get the extra storage like mesh pockets on back of seats etc.

If you have a wife or partner who drives the car often you MUST go for electric memory seats to save a real clart on (geordie word) in changing drivers.

LATER Nick ignore most of above. The 4 series comfort pack is built around electric seats and is completely different to 3 series so if you dont want them its a nono. I'll go back to sleep!

Last edited by Tom Tallon; 12-08-2016 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 06:44 AM   #35
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

Whatever you choose, remember to get a figure of coast 2 coast first, then email TRL and haggle like a jock.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 08:05 AM   #36
TheFifthElement
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i F30

We're all going to have different ideas what options we like, so for me - I'd echo the 430d instead of the 420d as the drivetrain with the 6 cylinder is so much more rewarding.

I'd drop all the assistance pish like advance parking and lane change, as I'm not convinced by any of them.

I never thought I'd say this but I love my adaptive headlights, and if you can do something individual with the interior. You spend a lot of time in it, so it may as well be as nice a place as can be.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #37
F15CCT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

The sunroof us one of the best options I've got. My f30 didn't have one but the f31 does and it makes the cabin so much brighter. My little one loves it in the back as she can see far more.
Appreciate 1
RalphyBMW164.50
      12-08-2016, 09:30 AM   #38
nickcooluz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
As I'm sure you've noticed already, you ask 20 people on here for advice you will get 25 different opinions!!! And all happy to spend your money for you and recommend options you did t even realise existed!!!

My tuppence worth is decide what engine/gearbox/drive you want and start there. Then decide what options are must haves to you and what would be a nice to have but not essential.

As others have stated the 3.0d models come with a few extra toys as standard and quite often turn out to be only 20-30 quid a month more than the 2.0d models. And as some one has just gone from a 320d to a 335d, the 6 cylinder models are far superior. Smoother, far more punchy, sound better and depending on how you drive, often the economy isn't too far off. Having said that I had a late night blast after a works Christmas do from Milton Keynes to Home via dropping people off and over 68 miles I averaged 35mpg!
Haha that is so true I havent even heard of some of the options mentioned on this post above but i guess it all depends on personal choice.

I have got a test drive booked in for the weekend for 420 and 430 and I guess I'll make my mind up on the engine after the test drive and then look at the options. Thanks for your advice, it was helpful
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #39
nickcooluz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tallon View Post
Nick

Not sure if you noticed but sliding armrest, heated steering wheel and folding rear seats are in the comfort pack. Add it up and it may be you'll be able to get heated front seats at very little extra. I didnt want a heated steering wheel or sliding arm rest but they cost me £15 over buying what I did want with the pack. I think its about £715 in total Oh and you get the extra storage like mesh pockets on back of seats etc.

If you have a wife or partner who drives the car often you MUST go for electric memory seats to save a real clart on (geordie word) in changing drivers.

LATER Nick ignore most of above. The 4 series comfort pack is built around electric seats and is completely different to 3 series so if you dont want them its a nono. I'll go back to sleep!
Thanks Tom, didnt know they were all included in the comfort pack so that might work out cheaper getting the pack rather than all the individual extras. Heated front seats are standard on 4 series I think.

oh hell no im letting my wife touch my new car lol for that reason i might just stick with standard seats with one setting on lol

cheers for your advice
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #40
nickcooluz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fireblade View Post
Whatever you choose, remember to get a figure of coast 2 coast first, then email TRL and haggle like a jock.
Cheers buddy, im currently talking to Tony from TRL but he is unable to do anything better than c2c but lets see what he offers after i add all my options.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #41
nickcooluz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFifthElement View Post
We're all going to have different ideas what options we like, so for me - I'd echo the 430d instead of the 420d as the drivetrain with the 6 cylinder is so much more rewarding.

I'd drop all the assistance pish like advance parking and lane change, as I'm not convinced by any of them.

I never thought I'd say this but I love my adaptive headlights, and if you can do something individual with the interior. You spend a lot of time in it, so it may as well be as nice a place as can be.
Whats all the hype about the adaptive headlights? I have never seen them at work but are they really worth it?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #42
nickcooluz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15CCT View Post
The sunroof us one of the best options I've got. My f30 didn't have one but the f31 does and it makes the cabin so much brighter. My little one loves it in the back as she can see far more.
I have a panoramic roof on my company cars and you are absolutely right, it does brightens the whole cabin and make a lot of difference especially during the summer
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #43
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

I have a new 440i GC turning up next week and options-wise, I went with:

MSport+ pack (with the bicolour wheel option);
Sunroof
Reversing camera
Folding wingmirrors
Adaptive suspension
Adaptive lights/high beam assist
Extended storage
Fineline wood trim

That little lot is about £4.5k's worth so I called it quits there since a 440i MSport GC comes quite well-equipped as standard. In an ideal world, I would have liked the leather-topped dash but as an Individual option it did bad things to the delivery timing and I wanted the car to arrive before Christmas, so I decided to forego it.

I wouldn't be without the sunroof myself – I consider it a "must have" whenever buying/ordering a car even although it is expensive. Whenever I've had a car without one, I've regretted it.

Discount-wise, I got 19.5% off the price with options, which I was satisfied with. It was more or less what C2C quoted.

Current: Macan GTS
Previous: 440i GC, M135i, E60 M5, Z1, 330d, 135i, Alfa 156 GTA, Mercedes 500E, Audi S3, Audi A3 quattro, VW Golf GTI 16v
Appreciate 1
RalphyBMW164.50
      12-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #44
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

It was a 430d that made me buy a bmw even if I ended up with a 340!
Onve you have driven a 6pot no way you will want a 4 pot rattler.

Comfort access and lumbar support if not in any packs are very good if you ask me as well.
Appreciate 0