E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Black Sapphire Metallic/Coral Red

12-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #23
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e93 335i

Dude, get the Black and Red combo....for me, it was a toss up btw Black Sapphire and Coral Red, and Space Grey and Coral Red......I ended up with SG/CR because that was the car that came my way at the right time and right price.....and I love the red....and everyone who sees it or sits in it, LOVES the red.....

Black and Red is SICK, and I don't see many around where i live (toronto, Canada).....with the red LED's on the inside of the doors, the friggin car looks like a classy lounge on the inside.......that's what people tell me, anyways......The only thing with black that i've heard is that 1.) hard to clean---but whatever 2.) "BMW Black paints are soft" and therefore swirl more easily---but i don't know how true that is.........

Anyways, go for the black/red, it's flippin hot, and the contrast is just unbelievable.....people might say that it's gay based on the idea of it, and when i told my friends they all had reservations, but when they saw it, they were like W-O-W, and all of their women wanted to lie in my backseat, youknowmsayn'? hahahah.....

Take care and best of luck dude....
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #24
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

I know this doesn't appear to be one of your colour choices, but that's not going to stop me from suggesting it.

What about Black Sapphire with saddle brown interior (and aluminum trim..or the darkest wood grain IF you really really want wood in the car). I got that and I love it.

I looked at getting coral red in my car first, before deciding on saddle brown. The reason why I didn't go with coral red is, although it looks sick just looking into the car from the side, when I actually sat in a car with it, and looked into the rear view mirror, all I could see was CORAL RED. It was too much. If they put some black in the back to break the red, I would have got it in a heartbeat, but it was just too much red for me.

Sit in some cars with your colour combo if you haven't already!!! You might be surprised.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #25
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

I have the Black Sapphire with Coral red and dark poplar trim. Although the combo looks great, I would not recommend it for everyone. I love the dark wood trim. Looks much classier than the Alum. The Black sapphire exterior also looks stunning for about 15 mins when the dust already starts to deposit on it. It is impossible to keep clean for more than a day or so. Also, really like the LOOK of the Coral red interior, BUT after some time, the side bolsters of the driver side seats start to scuff and are virtually impossible to cover up the blemishes. Unlike Black that can be covered easily with shoe polish . I actually have blended 3 different shoe cremes to get a product that does match the corl red. I used predominantly Meltonian Cardinal Red blended with Tarrago Red Orange (28)with a little Tarrago Red (12). I made the mixture basically by trial and ended up with what looks like an exact match to BMW coral red. Unfortunately, it doesn't HIDE the scuff marks well enough or anywhere close to what black shoe polish does on a black interior.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 07:13 AM   #26
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

cool color combo.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #27
willa1975
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I know this doesn't appear to be one of your colour choices, but that's not going to stop me from suggesting it.

What about Black Sapphire with saddle brown interior (and aluminum trim..or the darkest wood grain IF you really really want wood in the car). I got that and I love it.

I looked at getting coral red in my car first, before deciding on saddle brown. The reason why I didn't go with coral red is, although it looks sick just looking into the car from the side, when I actually sat in a car with it, and looked into the rear view mirror, all I could see was CORAL RED. It was too much. If they put some black in the back to break the red, I would have got it in a heartbeat, but it was just too much red for me.

Sit in some cars with your colour combo if you haven't already!!! You might be surprised.
I thought about the chestnut brown...went to the dealership to place an order in person, mainly so that I had a chance to see the cars in person myself once again. Spent about 10 minutes staring at a sapphire/chestnut e92 before finally pulling the trigger and ordering one in sapphire/coral.

Why did I go with the CR interior? I'm looking for something a bit bold, and the coral does fit the bill, but isn't too bold when paired with a black exterior. I liked it on the configurator, and liked it when I saw it in person. Spent a good time sitting inside a sapphire/coral e92 at the dealership as the CA gave me a tour of the new iDrive system, so I have a good idea of what I'm getting into. I definitely agree that one should see a color combination in person, and sit inside a car with his/her preferred interior color before pulling the trigger. The online configurator gives a reasonably good estimation of what things look like, but it's not a substitute for seeing it oneself. However, I don't think I actually looked in the rearview mirror like you did Joe...maybe I'll go back to the dealership and do that before I run out of time to change my mind.

Also, it is kind of a unique color. It may not seem so, given the number of people on this forum with cars with CR interior, but the 335 was the only car I looked at that had it available. Not the g37, not the CTS, not the C350, not the A4 or A5. And I don't see many of them on the street either, since there are a lot more e90s on the road than e92s.

In the end, it really came down to CR versus saddle. Definitely would have gone with the saddle if the CR had not been among the interior color choices. Probably would have done chestnut if I had gotten an e90, but I just find the e92 body style more exciting.

In terms of exterior colors, one direction I thought of going in was monaco/saddle. However, it's a little more conservative than I'd like. When I first started looking at the e92, I wanted to get sparkling graphite. I remember seeing a sparkling graphite/CR e92 at a dealership that looked awesome. But, that color's no longer available. So, I was then leaning towards space gray. But, in person, the black sapphire metallic made more of an impression. It's funny, because I never considered that color until I saw it at the dealership. In terms of the choice between sapphire and jet black, I agree with some of the other posters who say that the jet black is more of a pure black color, whereas the black sapphire metallic can look gray when the light hits it a certain way. But I actually like this...I think it makes for a more interesting color. I also think AW looks great with CR, but it's a little too bold for me.

So, in a nutshell, I've tentatively settled on sapphire/coral. Initially, it was an impulse choice, but after thinking it through more thoroughly, I think it's a good choice. Unless I have some sort of epiphany, I will be sticking with it. Of course, I will probably mull it over as long as there's still time to change my mind, but I'm pretty psyched about it.

In the meantime, I need folks to keep posting pics of their sapphire/coral e92s, so that I can live vicariously through you all until I finally get my car in February, March or whenever the hell it ends up getting here.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #28
stephanie335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willa1975 View Post
Does anyone have this color combo?

Up until today, it had been a toss-up between Space Grey/Coral Red and Monaco Blue/Saddle. Saw an E92 in Black Sapphire Metallic/Coral in person at the dealership and really liked it, enough that it's currently my first choice in terms of color combo. If I were to get it, it's a toss-up right now between the Grey Poplar vs. the aluminum trim.

For those with the Black Sapphire/Coral color combination, are you happy with this choice after having the car for a while?
my E93 is sapphire black on coral.... I LOVE IT!!! ... i LOVE the contrast, and definitely turns heads!!

LOVE the alpine/coral & space grey/coral as well... the sapphire black came my way first and was my first choice so i got lucky

and aluminum trim FTW. for sure.
      02-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #29
MrWhite1015
Major General
Rep
Drives: MINIVAN

Garage List
Quote:

Up until today, it had been a toss-up between Space Grey/Coral Red and Monaco Blue/Saddle. Saw an E92 in Black Sapphire Metallic/Coral in person at the dealership and really liked it, enough that it's currently my first choice in terms of color combo. If I were to get it, it's a toss-up right now between the Grey Poplar vs. the aluminum trim.

For those with the Black Sapphire/Coral color combination, are you happy with this choice after having the car for a while?
still love it .. i have had it for about 7 months !
      02-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #30
willa1975
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

My sapphire/coral e92 is on the water...should be arriving stateside on the 15th. Won't be long now...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #31
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Love it even after 2 years. Black Sapphire / Coral Red is a very classy combination. As someone else mentioned, the LED opera lighting on the coupe's doors really makes the red interior look awesome at night.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 01:47 AM   #32
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I looked at both these colors VERY closely before deciding on jet black.. so here's my opinion but you decide in the end..

1. I have friends who own BSM and JB Bimmers and I've observed and compared my car with their BSMs / JB, both will start to look equally dirty pretty quick and both will show swirl marks if not washed by hand carefully with proper washing techniques and cleaning products.. so that whole swirl marks business that BSM hides better than JB is........ senseless IMO, no offense to anyone, I've seen BSMs swirled up as badly as JB in my parking lot.. It might be better but not that much better to hide swirls, sorry but those swirls are pretty easily noticeable on BSMs too... Just keep in mind that all dark colors will show swirl marks and paint defects easily.. Sometimes, I do feel that JB looks better than BSM when both are dirty, this is my personal opinion...

2. If you care about paint and looks then ONLY get a black car if you can wash your car yourself, otherwise after day 1 it's gonna be pretty disappointing.. remember this, it's very serious. If you don't care about how your car looks, then it's fine.

3. Metallic colors = color changes depending on lighting conditions.. means, during day if it's sunny the BSM car will look more like a very very dark color gray car (like charcoal) from far and up close you'll notice the paint will sparkle and you'll only notice those sparkles if you're like next to the car and if you move about 1-2 ft away, you won't notice them... so it depends if you're really care about those sparkles.. During night, BSM look just like a JB car.. that's what happens with metallic paint, color will be more dynamic.

4. Jet black looks MUCH deeper and sharper, has more shine and depth when wax/polished and kept clean. It's like a mirror.. BSM also looks very sharp but not deep black.. JB is more glossy than BSM... JB is just simply pure-deep-glossy black.. so if you JUST want a black car, then you *might* be disappointed with BSM.. again depends on you.

5. I think BSM paint can be matched easily nowadays if you go to a good body shop too... but JB will be easier simply because it can blend in easily whereas BSM has metal flakes, so it depends on how you spray the paint and how the metal flakes fall on the body of the car and from which angle.. if not sprayed correctly, the new paint will be noticeable more just because the sparkles will not reflect light uniformly as compared to the overall paint on the car, hence a little trickier to blend-in metallic paints as compared to non-metallic... JB is less $500 but if you're buying a Bimmer I believe that shouldn't be much of a concern.. get what you like..

JB is definitely a stunning color but you have to maintain it.. and it is worth it if you like black cars.. I also think JB looks much better/classier with saddle brown as compared to coral red.

IMO, your other choice AW is also awesome.. great/classic color.. love it! I will definitely look into it when I get my next Bimmer as well..

Also remember color is a very personal choice, while some like JB others might hate it, same goes with silver, gray etc....

I hate silver.. now don't start flaming me!!!! kidding...

Black is solid, black looks mean and is always classy, doesn't matter which black you go with and doesn't matter what people say..

Good luck and keep us posted and eventually you should see both colors in person and compare them side-by-side.. !
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 01:49 AM   #33
balance
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
I have Black sapphire with coral red and i love it! I'd say go with gray poplar if you go with this choice, it looks much nicer and classier imo.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 07:26 AM   #34
Neon01
BMW Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 X5 35i

Garage List
Definitely do it. I got the same combo (see sig) and I don't regret it one bit. I really waffled over it and AW/CR, but the black is just too hot not to get. My #1 choice was actually Sparkling Graphite, but that's not available on '09s.

To me, nothing combines classy and aggressive (two features that are the epitome of BMW) so well like a black exterior and red interior. It may be common, but there are about 2 E92s in my town anyway (including me), so color frequency is moot to me. I could see it as a valid concern if you lived in LA though. In DC it's mostly silver/gray.

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #35
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
I don't have it, but I saw it when I took delivery of mine and it is an awesome color combo!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #36
Evangelo2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 m sport Coupe 6-speed

Quote:

I just ordered a 2009 Black Sapphire on Saddle Brown with Gray Poplar (bouncing back and forth between Gray Poplar and Dark Wood). At first I was thinking of going CR until I sat in it. I love CR but I just felt that it would be too loud, or too much red (especially looking in the back seat) and that I would grow tired of it. My only fear with the saddle is that I have seen some pictures where I love it and it has a darker kind of look, and then I've seen some pictures where it has a birght orange look that I am not nuts about. I guess some leather conditioner should make it look a bit darker.

What are your guys opinions of The Gray Poplar with Saddle Brown on Black Sapphire? I really am tossing back and forth between this and Dark Burl Walnut...

-Evangelo2
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #37
LuisBoston
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 128i, '23 iX M60

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [8.83]
2023 BMW iX M60  [9.50]
2007 328xi  [8.75]
I always get compliments on my BS/Terra. A different color leather (Coral in your case) is a plus.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897862
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 11:55 AM   #38
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post
I just ordered a 2009 Black Sapphire on Saddle Brown with Gray Poplar (bouncing back and forth between Gray Poplar and Dark Wood). At first I was thinking of going CR until I sat in it. I love CR but I just felt that it would be too loud, or too much red (especially looking in the back seat) and that I would grow tired of it. My only fear with the saddle is that I have seen some pictures where I love it and it has a darker kind of look, and then I've seen some pictures where it has a birght orange look that I am not nuts about. I guess some leather conditioner should make it look a bit darker.

What are your guys opinions of The Gray Poplar with Saddle Brown on Black Sapphire? I really am tossing back and forth between this and Dark Burl Walnut...

-Evangelo2

Me personally - I love the BSM / Saddle/ aluminum. Love it. I wouldn't get wood. But each to his own. I think you'd want a darker wood in that case to go more with the exterior and contrast against the lighter saddle. Try and find some cars with this colour combo and see what trim they have, sit in them.

I think you'll love the saddle - I too ran across some pics I wasn't fond of, but in person, I'd really wouldn't have it any other way. I love the colour and its not a bright orange - that's just sun, don't worry about it!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #39
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Best color combo evarrrrrrr
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #40
CyberGypsy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Coral is the only way to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #41
juicedcubed
Phantom at large
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 m3

Quote:

im kicking myself in the ass for not getting coral red.

2008 335i Black Sapphire| Black Interior| Navi| Silver Aluminum Trim |Tint l BMS intake l JB3 l Riss Racing downpipes | Miro Staggered Hyper Silver 19 inch CSL Reps |Nitto 555's ***RIP 2011 335i Jet Black| Red Interior| Bone Stock ***RIP 2013 M3 Space Gray|Carbon Tint| Matte Black Eurotek CSL Wheels| Nokya White Halos| AFE Stage 2 intake| AFE Power Pulley| Reflector Delete|
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #42
Evangelo2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 m sport Coupe 6-speed

Quote:
Me personally - I love the BSM / Saddle/ aluminum. Love it. I wouldn't get wood. But each to his own. I think you'd want a darker wood in that case to go more with the exterior and contrast against the lighter saddle. Try and find some cars with this colour combo and see what trim they have, sit in them.

I think you'll love the saddle - I too ran across some pics I wasn't fond of, but in person, I'd really wouldn't have it any other way. I love the colour and its not a bright orange - that's just sun, don't worry about it!
Joekerr,
When you say get darker to go more with the exterior, then Gray Poplar would be pretty dark and go with the Black Sapphire exterior. The rest of the interior will be all black since I have the M Sport Pkg. I think that would look good. I like the alluminum but want a different type of look for the interior than alluminum (I had that in my G and I am ready for a change from Aluminum).
-Evangelo2
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #43
oncyte
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
How come no one likes saddle brown

03-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #44
chili cheese