BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

05-23-2015, 12:15 AM   #23
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Please don't shoot.........can someone define "detonation"?
      05-23-2015, 12:29 AM   #24
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Wow!

Manual or automatic?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 05:19 AM   #25
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
http://www.enginelogics.com/engine-detonation/
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 07:43 AM   #26
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

OP feel really sorry about your luck .
But I'm sure before the rod was making a black hole ...rattle noises were ignored or not heard !
And like almost all blown S65's the bearings were the basic problem of this blown S65 !
And personal I think it was "not" the smartest move to run the engine after the failure to move it into the shop !

But think this case is in experienced hands ? Would love to know more...
About the video...Is it possible to post the video ?
Thanks in advance...

Edit :
Can you please add here in the "Blown motors, Bearing failure S65 Registry." => http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786615

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 08:32 AM   #27
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
This is very interesting. Bearing failures. I think the culprit here is the oil pump and the pressure.

My experience to date has been, I've been running TWS 10w-60 for the last seven years ownership since new, and every morning when I start up, the car was extremely rough, and even revving was hard doesn't matter how many rpm it was, until the oil warmed up with the rest of the components.

But since swapping to M1 0w-40, I have not experience this at all, and despite the rev limited set to 4k rpm for cold start, the engine revs freely, and have no issues (?) what I had with when using 10w-60.

So I think, the oil pump was struggling with the cold thickness of the oil, and then squeezing that thickness through the hair-width edge was a struggle. Hence, more mettle-to-mettle contact and the roughness I was feeling. M1 0w-40 has I believe eliminated that. Time will tell when it come to BS analysis. I am planning to do 6k km on this M1, and another 6k km again just so that the engine is free of all the old TWS 10w-60.

I think we need to factor is the oil pump to and the effectiveness of it with the thicker oil. Wasn't the oil pump redesigned from the S85 to be more efficient or something like that?
      05-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #28
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Very good points. I patiently await your results with the 0-40.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #29
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil View Post
Very good points. I patiently await your results with the 0-40.
It's a good oil , but saw several that blew also with M1 0W40 .
It's not really about the oil/spec...It's all about the design flaw of our bearings .
Better is.... no matter what oil is used ...is oil change at max 5K .
Personal I keep it with Castrol/Edge .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #30
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ging View Post
update
Rod big end blue again. I usually attribute that to clearance, which leads to bearing wear, which leads to bearing failure, which leads to excessive heat, which leads to boom!

Was the rod or cap welded to the crank? I'm still trying to see if I can use that crank, and the picture of the journal has me a bit worried because of what looks like the scratches on it, and the blue rod big end that went along with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #31
Ging
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

no the rod moved freely on the crank after I unjammed it from the rod next to it. the force of what happened stretched the rod bolts and the rod cap fracture split joint was clearly visible witch it shouldn't be. the crank journal looks great no marks on it (bad phone photos). most of the wear and little bit of blue from running it after the hole was made. i know not the best idea but DCT car and limited man power to get it up the hill to the shop and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
Rod big end blue again. I usually attribute that to clearance, which leads to bearing wear, which leads to bearing failure, which leads to excessive heat, which leads to boom!

Was the rod or cap welded to the crank? I'm still trying to see if I can use that crank, and the picture of the journal has me a bit worried because of what looks like the scratches on it, and the blue rod big end that went along with it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #32
Ging
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m3

Arrow rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
Poor car

Very glad she's in very capable hands.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 01:22 PM   #33
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Technical answer, when more than 10-15% of firing cycles result in peak cylinder pressure before the crankshaft reaches 4 degrees ATDC in any given timed period.
      05-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #34
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
no the rod moved freely on the crank after I unjammed it from the rod next to it. the force of what happened stretched the rod bolts and the rod cap fracture split joint was clearly visible witch it shouldn't be. the crank journal looks great no marks on it (bad phone photos). most of the wear and little bit of blue from running it after the hole was made. i know not the best idea but DCT car and limited man power to get it up the hill to the shop and what not.
OK, once you get the whole thing out, give it a good look. PM me if you think it's usable and tell me what you think it's worth. Ironically, I just sold my personal OE crank...now I need one for a spare motor I just picked up.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #35
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Quote:
Arrow rods

Not Carillo?!
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #36
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
It's a good oil , but saw several that blew also with M1 0W40 .
It's not really about the oil/spec...It's all about the design flaw of our bearings .
Better is.... no matter what oil is used ...is oil change at max 5K .
Personal I keep it with Castrol/Edge .
With all due respect Phil, I think we need to factor in the whole system in the RB failure. It cannot be looked at in isolation. I know what you're saying and I agreed with you in a prior post.

But the more I think of it, and how the engine has behave, and the state of affairs now with M1 0w-40, I feel there is more to this RB failure than just the clearance.

When you drive the car when it's cold, it's like day and night between the M1 and TWS. I think we do a lot of driving until the engine reaches the optimum temperature, and for me personally, M1 makes sense because I do low of city running and low rpm. Yes, On the weekend I drive the car very aggressively, but that's only 1-2% of the driving. My fuel consumption has dropped by more than a litre for 100/L.

As I said, until I get the BS result when I do he next oil change, I am happy. As we agreed in the past, doesn't matter what oil we use, if the RB destined for failure, we cannot stop it.

To be honest, I am happy and very comfortable with my choice to go with M1.

Phil, as you know, this is not a personal thing against your theory, but another thing that I feel should be factored in.
      05-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #37
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
With all due respect Phil, I think we need to factor in the whole system in the RB failure. It cannot be looked at in isolation. I know what you're saying and I agreed with you in a prior post.

But the more I think of it, and how the engine has behave, and the state of affairs now with M1 0w-40, I feel there is more to this RB failure than just the clearance.

When you drive the car when it's cold, it's like day and night between the M1 and TWS. I think we do a lot of driving until the engine reaches the optimum temperature, and for me personally, M1 makes sense because I do low of city running and low rpm. Yes, On the weekend I drive the car very aggressively, but that's only 1-2% of the driving. My fuel consumption has dropped by more than a litre for 100/L.

As I said, until I get the BS result when I do he next oil change, I am happy. As we agreed in the past, doesn't matter what oil we use, if the RB destined for failure, we cannot stop it.

To be honest, I am happy and very comfortable with my choice to go with M1.

Phil, as you know, this is not a personal thing against your theory, but another thing that I feel should be factored in.
I know my friend .
It's night and day difference between M1 and TWS because the M1 is a thinner oil and affects that the S65 revs more freely and so consumes less and is warmed up quicker .

If the M1 is better ...why we see still blown S65's with M1 ? Thought I saw a couple of Malek's S65's that blew with M1 (stock S65's)
And they looked really bad , but personal I'm more concernd about the lubrication film of the oil when bearing clearance /tolerance is nok by design flaw .
And when talking about the lubrication film I'm feeling better with TWS , because I felt the difference between both oils between my fingers .
And the TWS felt a lot more sticky .

What I noticed too is that the M1 is showing higher metal ppm wear in BS oil reports what makes me think that M1 is not the perfect oil for high rev + 8K rpm engines .
But if you feel good with M1 you really should keep running it with M1.
But who knows my friend ?

It's more like I said before my friend ...The problem is "NOT" the oil/brand/spec !
The problem is ... " Needless to repeat " But the cause is... "Made In Germany"

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 02:23 AM   #38
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I know my friend .
It's night and day difference between M1 and TWS because the M1 is a thinner oil and affects that the S65 revs more freely and so consumes less and is warmed up quicker .

If the M1 is better ...why we see still blown S65's with M1 ? Thought I saw a couple of Malek's S65's that blew with M1 (stock S65's)
And they looked really bad , but personal I'm more concernd about the lubrication film of the oil when bearing clearance /tolerance is nok by design flaw .
And when talking about the lubrication film I'm feeling better with TWS , because I felt the difference between both oils between my fingers .
And the TWS felt a lot more sticky .

What I noticed too is that the M1 is showing higher metal ppm wear in BS oil reports what makes me think that M1 is not the perfect oil for high rev + 8K rpm engines .
But if you feel good with M1 you really should keep running it with M1.
But who knows my friend ?

It's more like I said before my friend ...The problem is "NOT" the oil/brand/spec !
The problem is ... " Needless to repeat " But the cause is... "Made In Germany"
We will never have an answer to this.
      05-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #39
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
We will never have an answer to this.
Exactly !
In numbers ..

50/50 % = Winners/Losers .

1- Winners = Bearings that hold out .
2- Losers = Are f@cked up by BMW from day 1 and from when the S65 was built in the German factory . (A matter of time)

Hope we have "# 1".

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #40
aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Exactly !
In numbers ..

50/50 % = Winners/Losers .

1- Winners = Bearings that hold out .
2- Losers = Are f@cked up by BMW from day 1 and from when the S65 was built in the German factory . (A matter of time)

Hope we have "# 1".
At least we are in a better place compared to some unfortunate souls.
      05-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #41
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
At least we are in a better place compared to some unfortunate souls.
For "the moment"...Yes .
I really hope that we don't need to post up pics of our bearings !
BTW.....Some even twice ! Imagine ....

Appreciate 1
      05-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #42
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Is there a company selling kits for these custom holes, or is this something I'd need to get done professionally? Could I request a bigger hole than the one in OP? Just want to make sure I'm getting max airflow to my bearings.
Appreciate 4
      05-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #43
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

the more I read these threads the more I hate this car..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #44
PorkchopExpress
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
the more I read these threads the more I hate this forum..
Fixed
Appreciate 2