BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #23
jhuber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

haha love that video
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 01:25 PM   #24
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
Have had a bit of trouble with the neighbors at my parents place for noise, my corvette is a bit of a beast when it comes to noise, it is a C3 vett, with a very free flowing exhaust system and a few other baubles that keep the neighbors up when I blow by, my dad has a 335i with some dinan kit and a high performance exhaust (not sure what kind think borla but could be mistaken) and my 128i, which in my opinion is slow and quiet... was going 40 km/h in my subdivision the other day in the 128 and my parents got 3 calls to complain about my excessive speed, and the limit was 55km/h... people just want something to complain about... may as well have fun and forget about them, 9 times out of then the cops are reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #25
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoturboz View Post
Im quite puzzled. First off, I'll note I do have golf tee mod and a dci. I was just going up the hill in my neighborhood in 2nd at about 18 mph, (speed limit in communities almost everywhere is 25), so im passing some lady walking her dog, and she looks over at me as i drive by and starts screaming at me to slow down. wtf?

Also, my girlfriends neighbors always call her yelling at her about me speeding down the street {because they're cowards and cant come directly to me}, even though I never go over 20.... and then my girlfriends mom always gets pissed off at me because her neighbors complain. ....how often does this happen to you? Its starting to get to me and I think next time I'm going to knock on her neighbors door and ask what their problems are.

I need to get a louder intake. All thumbs up so far except for 1 person.

Did notice older woman taking a long look at the 1er, front and back. I thought this car would attract younger girls. Damit, I should have gotten a Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #26
FazerBoy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

I'm not pointing fingers at any particular poster here because each case is different but the posted speed limit on any street is the highest legal speed one can do not a target speed that has to be maintained. It does not follow that it is always safe to be doing the posted maximum speed.

Sometimes, like if there are lots of kids running about in a quiet neighbourhood then the posted speed may be a little too quick at that specific point in time so even cruising along at the limit may be looked at by people walking along as dangerous, especially if the car is noisy as well.

Jack
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #27
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FazerBoy View Post
Sometimes, like if there are lots of kids running about in a quiet neighbourhood then the posted speed may be a little too quick at that specific point in time so even cruising along at the limit may be looked at by people walking along as dangerous, especially if the car is noisy as well.

Jack
In that case, a noisy car is arguably more safe than a quiet one

As Jeremy Clarkson said on his review of the Prius, the car is so quiet that a child would run into the road without ever hearing you coming...

Then he goes on to say "The Prius is so slow, the child could run into the road, retrieve his ball, and grow to puberty, before you ever actually hit him"
      06-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #28
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

The one solution here is to do smoky burnouts all over the road near where they are. I was driving through a residential neighborhood once in my old Mustang, which was supercharged and had aftermarket exhaust, and this clown yelled at me to slow down as I was doing 5 under the speed limit. He was about 10 feet ahead of me on the side of the road, so I dropped it down to 1st gear and spun up the blower to a ton of noise and tire spinning. Guy practically ducked for cover.
      06-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #29
mrleisure
Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
In that case, a noisy car is arguably more safe than a quiet one

As Jeremy Clarkson said on his review of the Prius, the car is so quiet that a child would run into the road without ever hearing you coming...

Then he goes on to say "The Prius is so slow, the child could run into the road, retrieve his ball, and grow to puberty, before you ever actually hit him"
It's true. The town I am from in southern Oregon is FULL of Prius'...those things sneak up on you ALL the time! Dangerous little things!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #30
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

More than likely it's just the mean grumble coming out of the exhaust making them think you are going faster than you are
However, my Mom lives in a retirement community where the posted limit is 10 mph. I can't even do that idleing so I usually do about 15. I always used to get dirty looks in my S2000, but I haven't noticed it in my 1.
Maybe you should look down at your speedo when this happens. You know you never "feel" like you are going as fast as you are in these cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #31
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

LOL....

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #32
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
My father used to own an AC Cobra 427.

Used to take me to my school soccer games at 7am on Saturday mornings. Lighting that 7 Litre beast with working 4" sidepipes awoke MOST of the people in the neighbourhood.

A good family friend of ours that lived about 15 houses down used to always get woken up by it too. Amazing sound
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2010, 10:08 PM   #33
AZ135
REALTOR
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jag XF Supercharged

My brother just got yelled at in my neighborhood yesterday. He has a Jeep Wrangler 4.0L with intake and exhaust. He was going 10 over a speed bump and a guy yelled at him to slow down. When my brother explained that he was going no more than 10mph te guy started swearing at him and got confrontational. It set my brother off and he actually got out of his car to argue with the guy. It probably wasn't te best idea, but he didn't like getting sworn at. Eventually the guy walked away so my brother gave a couple of loud revs then drove away really slowly with the exhaust growling to prove that he was going slow.... Sometimes people just need to mind there own business.

I've never Received any complaints about my 135i with or without the golf tee mod. It's pretty subdued in stock form.
Appreciate 0