E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ASR 135 vs. M5

07-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #67
stealth-twntrbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 740xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr engineering View Post
If there are any local guys with 135's that are up for it, I'm sure we can arrange something. Of course this would have be done on a closed circuit course and not a public road. We have 335's that we can run it against, but I don't think it would be fair with the weight difference.
Im not sure I have found it, but what is the exact price for these turbo upgrades and are you using the procede to tune these turbos and at what PSI are these running?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 10:54 AM   #68
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

showed this to my buddy that has a new m5 (and continually talks about spanking 335's for fun)

both of said DAMN- that 135 is frikkin fast!!!!!

serious props for an excellent run you guys ...
you made my day yesterday -- had to wait to go home and see it (content blocked at work)

again, congrats asr !!!!......
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #69
asr engineering
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth-twntrbo View Post
Im not sure I have found it, but what is the exact price for these turbo upgrades and are you using the procede to tune these turbos and at what PSI are these running?
Yes, we are using the Procede to tune these turbos for several different reasons. Since we do a lot of hexadecimal programming in house, we know the limitations of the factory DME boost logic with our turbos. Without getting in to too much detail, many who think a factory DME can program these turbo have never had experience with tuning a turbo upgrade of this kind on an N54 powerplant. Therefore, they are in for a lot of suprises as far as the limitations of the factory boost logic. One of the other reasons is being able to run meth injection and have the map switch on the fly through the flow detector output. This can not be done on a factory DME without offering a manual map switch for the DME. This means if they have the capability to offer manual map switching, it will not switch automatically when the meth is at full flow like the Procede. The downfall to manually switching the map is that the meth injection takes a few m/s to get full flow at the nozzle. By the time the meth actually injects in the chargepipe, knock has already been induced with an agressive meth tuned map. With the Procede this will never happen. The meth kit we run has a flow detector that sends an output signal to the Procede once you have full flow at the nozzle. At that point is when the Procede gets the signal to switch maps and no knock is induced.

The car runs 16psi-17psi on pump, 18psi pump w/meth, and 20psi w/ 104 and meth. Unfortunately, since we are not an E90post sponsor we can not divulge any pricing info on this board out of respect for the forum rules.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #70
lauer87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
u guys need to keep i mind the gearing and powerband of the v10. Its a highway monster which is where the n54 does not shine typically.
+1, The M5/M6 dominates almost anything at highway speed roll ons.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #71
stealth-twntrbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauer87 View Post
+1, The M5/M6 dominates almost anything at highway speed roll ons.
Yea they can definatly do some damage on the highway, But if you can get a N54 to build and hold power all the way to 7K rpm you better watch out because that will be a wicked fast car.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #72
stealth-twntrbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Haha Ill tell you one thing the M5 cant touch is the 08 Viper, (obviously) Linear power, long gears and insane torque. That right there my friends, is a highway monster!! look at this dyno graph. Red line is bone stock blue line is with catback.
Attached Images

Last edited by stealth-twntrbo; 07-23-2009 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #73
ThePrinzeofcatz
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr engineering View Post
If there are any local guys with 135's that are up for it, I'm sure we can arrange something. Of course this would have be done on a closed circuit course and not a public road. We have 335's that we can run it against, but I don't think it would be fair with the weight difference.
I'd like to run the asr 135i, i know i have a 335 but i would just like to see for myself really how fast this car is
      07-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #74
rollyn2night
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Garage List
07 e92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrinzeofcatz View Post
I'd like to run the asr 135i, i know i have a 335 but i would just like to see for myself really how fast this car is
I think this would be an excellent idea. The guys at asr should do multiple runs with stock 135/335's and ones with basic mods(jb3/revII, dp's, intake)...The reason I say also do with 335i's because I know there are far more 335i guys than 135's and it would give us an idea of what the additional power is like.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #75
MarkE92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Good job ASR, keep the power mods coming....... hopefully Europe as well.

Gr,

Mark
      07-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #76
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE92 View Post
Good job ASR, keep the power mods coming....... hopefully Europe as well.

Gr,

Mark
+1!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      07-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #77
Hyper psi-atic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport, 6MT, AW/CR

Great pulls ASR!
Being lucky enough to have made some 100+mph pulls in my friend's new M5, i truly appreciate the lengths your car put between you and the M5 approaching 120mph. Saying they are highway monsters is an understatement....I would equate their pulls from 100-140 like my 335 pulls from 40-80mph.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #78
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollyn2night View Post
I think this would be an excellent idea. The guys at asr should do multiple runs with stock 135/335's and ones with basic mods(jb3/revII, dp's, intake)...The reason I say also do with 335i's because I know there are far more 335i guys than 135's and it would give us an idea of what the additional power is like.
+ 100

aren't there any guys near ASR with 135s or 335s ??

what's the deal ? no one curious at all ??
people been clamoring for bigger turbos and now there are no takers to see the new power face to face ??
..... if i was within a few hundred miles of ASR, i'd be down there so fast ...

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #79
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Im sure it feels a lot different since it pulls all the way to redline and doesnt die off at 5500 that must feel so much better. I would like to see a full bolt on 135i stock turbo on race gas vs the 135i ASR on pump gas that would be a good comparo video.
i cannot find the ASR dyno with the bigger snails... where is it ??

thanks

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 12:41 AM   #80
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

Get on their website and talk to Abid directly. The whole issue with being a sponsor on here makes it hard to say too much without pissing people off. I have a Dinan 3 tune and would still consider this. I like everything I have heard about these turbos so far. One real pain in the ass is that our ECU won't let us go beyond 14 psi in the 335i/135i so you NEED a piggyback to tune these damn things. In order to go 15-20 psi you need something besides a flash.
      07-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #81
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed;5591332[B
]....One real pain in the ass is that our ECU won't let us go beyond 14 psi in the 335i/135i [/B]so you NEED a piggyback to tune these damn things. In order to go 15-20 psi you need something besides a flash.

sorry man, but this is not true at all
my JB3 and any proceede can get to 16+ psi (if you want) with no problemo.

while we are on the subject:
I have absolutely nothing against shiv and proceede, but i wish ASR could have worked with terry of BMS (juicebox) also.
i read what they said about this subject - and i think they are dead wrong.
... i think ARS by not working with terry cut their prospective market by at least 50% or more.
personally, given the above unfortunate (for all) fact, i went from a 90% probable ARS customer to a 45% probable ARS turbo customer.

my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 02:27 AM   #82
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post

I have absolutely nothing against shiv and proceede, but i wish ASR could have worked with terry of BMS (juicebox) also.
... i think ARS by not working with terry cut their prospective market by at least 50% or more.
personally, given the above unfortunate (for all) fact, i went from a 90% probable ARS customer to a 45% probable ARS turbo customer.

my 2 cents
Actually having some form of active timing control is necessary when we are nearly doubling engine output. Expecting the factory DME to handle all ignition timing/knock control duties isn't realistic.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #83
stealth-twntrbo
Captain
United_States
Rep

I find the biggest problem on this forum is maybe people dont understand what it takes to make the N54 run with bigger turbos and maybe people dont understand timing control and how important it is. Research your interest and understand how it works before posting! Please before posting make sure you know exactly what your talking about regaurding tuning and the aspects of timing and fuel management.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #84
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Actually having some form of active timing control is necessary when we are nearly doubling engine output. Expecting the factory DME to handle all ignition timing/knock control duties isn't realistic.

Shiv
If I understand you correctly (and I've also read through your technical thread about timing/knock-control), the factory DME would not be capable of handling the control duties necessary to properly run the bigger turbos. This means, as a result, that it would not be realistic to expect a flash tuning to work with these turbos, or am I mistaken?

Alpina_B3_Lux
      07-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #85
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
If I understand you correctly (and I've also read through your technical thread about timing/knock-control), the factory DME would not be capable of handling the control duties necessary to properly run the bigger turbos. This means, as a result, that it would not be realistic to expect a flash tuning to work with these turbos, or am I mistaken?

Alpina_B3_Lux
Why wouldn't it? You can modify the timing tables to take care of the timing adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #86
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post

Alpina_B3_Lux
i think he means in stock form.

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #87
asr engineering
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I find the biggest problem on this forum is maybe people dont understand what it takes to make the N54 run with bigger turbos and maybe people dont understand timing control and how important it is. Research your interest and understand how it works before posting! Please before posting make sure you know exactly what your talking about regaurding tuning and the aspects of timing and fuel management.

Finally, someone who understands what Shiv and I have been trying to say for the longest time. Until you've actually done it and gone through the experiences we have, comments shouldn't be passed by previous experience with stock turbos or by speculation.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #88
asr engineering
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post

my 2 cents
I think he was referring to DME flashes in regards to the boost limits, not the Procede or JB3.

I understand where you are coming from when you ask why we chose not to work with Terry. You have to understand that as a programmer myself for fifteen years, I know the limitations of the stock DME and other systems on the market when it comes to certain things like boost logic and some form of active timing control as Shiv stated earlier.

I'm sure you'll see in my post history that I've never uttered a single negative remark about Terry or his products. Considering I don't know the guy and have never spoken to him, you would think I should expect the same respect in return from him. Not the case though. I've seen negative posts directly from him on his boards. " PS. I heard an interesting rumor involving ASR's new turbos and a customers car. Won't repeat as I don't know it to be true. But would explain why they have been laying low for the past few weeks."
This an obvious out right lie since our shop car is the only one in the world that even has our turbo upgrades installed as of yet. As many of our local customers can tell you, we haven't been laying low. We develop and manufacture products for BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes, as well as some new products we were asked to manufacture for the GTR. We have a legitimate business to run and apologize if we don't have time to devote to just one project, as you can see there are many that we have to focus on. It's no secret that Terry is trying to develop his own turbo upgrades. I'm an educated man and know what his ententions were by making such a bold comment. This type of behavior is both childish and adolescent and not something we condone or tolerate. I hope everyone can understand.
Appreciate 0