08-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #23
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I would say no. I have not seen any issues brought up due to the Apps and Services updates. Those are not the same as iDrive updates. These updates deal with not only with Apps but with services such as Real Time Traffic, weather, etc.

Even with iDrive updates, I would say it would be a very foolish move to not ever take an update. On the whole, there have been very few major issues with them, maybe three or four. .
Ok, thanks Turtleboy. So there are two mutually exclusive areas that get software updates, correct? 1. Apps/Services and 2. iDrive car functionality. Are there others?

1. Apps/ Services is currently being updated automatically over the air, correct? (however sporadic it may seem)

2. iDrive updates require you to take the car to the dealer (at least for now), correct? (except for a few limited beta cases).

3. The ATT sim is needed for both the Apps/Services and iDrive updates, correct?

4. Even when there aren't any updates being offered, the ATT sim is still required to use certain Apps/Services, correct?

Just trying to get all this straight in my head. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #24
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Not a problem, I have embedded my answers below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Ok, thanks Turtleboy. So there are two mutually exclusive areas that get software updates, correct? 1. Apps/Services and 2. iDrive car functionality. Are there others?

Those are the two normal updates. I guess there can be updates to the engine ECU but that is outside of this

1. Apps/ Services is currently being updated automatically over the air, correct? (however sporadic it may seem)

That is correct. They are done OTA and automatically.

2. iDrive updates require you to take the car to the dealer (at least for now), correct? (except for a few limited beta cases).

Yes. Once they are OTA then you shouldl have the option as to when and if you want to install the update.

3. The ATT sim is needed for both the Apps/Services and iDrive updates, correct?

Technically no, you can download the iDrive update to your phone and have iDrive use that as the source.

4. Even when there aren't any updates being offered, the ATT sim is still required to use certain Apps/Services, correct?

Yes, it is use for communications and services. You definitely want, I would say need, to have it working. Without it no traffic, BMW assist, voice recognition, etc. Remember back to all of the issues I had with mine when communications went out. That was akin to not having a working sim.

Just trying to get all this straight in my head. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #25
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I think there can be confusion with what is termed as idrive updates. Although we see the option for Remote Update via idrive it's actually an ISTEP firmware update for the whole car.

My G05 has 38 separate flashable modules (ECU) including some key ones such as DME (engine), HU_MGU (iDrive) and KAFAS (cameras). Most of these can be flashed during a firmware update, but not all are applicable for all cars. This introduces complexity and risk, as evidenced by the number of service bulletins issued for each of the firmware updates including 07.2019 which can and will brick individual ECU's even if everything goes as planned at a dealers.

This is why I can't see remote updates happening on mass anytime soon. The risk/ reward is too great for all but the simplest updates with proven configurations.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #26
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Not sure if this has been talked about yet, I called BMW customer service center and asked about OTA updates and new apps that my .48 does not have. I was told that ALL OTA updates will be completed in batch form by Fall this year, and we should see an uptick by September of people getting the OTA. I then asked for release notes and was sent this PDF... I think its very general not a lot of information but was assured all the new apps will be with the OTA update. Also to note the OTA started in May this year very isolated. The OTA update must be started by the user and it will always have the update numbering of the previous update schedule even though there might be small changes in the updates as the yearly quarter updates progress. They also stated moving forward the updates will be applied to all by the quarter they are released.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ReleaseNotes_1903_US.pdf (479.1 KB, 111 views)
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 2
marcosg24.50
edtreo88.50
      08-15-2019, 07:15 PM   #27
gpitts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G07 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Not sure if this has been talked about yet, I called BMW customer service center and asked about OTA updates and new apps that my .48 does not have. I was told that ALL OTA updates will be completed in batch form by Fall this year, and we should see an uptick by September of people getting the OTA. I then asked for release notes and was sent this PDF... I think its very general not a lot of information but was assured all the new apps will be with the OTA update. Also to note the OTA started in May this year very isolated. The OTA update must be started by the user and it will always have the update numbering of the previous update schedule even though there might be small changes in the updates as the yearly quarter updates progress. They also stated moving forward the updates will be applied to all by the quarter they are released.
So much for our ability to discern the BMW revision control...
      08-15-2019, 08:32 PM   #28
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Those are old release notes dealing with the March update not the current July update.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 06:12 AM   #29
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

19-07 (4.18.33) has the following missing apps issue:
' The issue with missing Apps after programming with S18A-19-07 I-Level. Please carry out a complete coding session, after that the Apps should be back on your vehicles.'

Also, hard programming block for 19-03 vehicles with pano roof:
'A programming execution stop has been activated based on a new issue with S18A-19-07-539 I-Level for G05 and G07 with panoramic roof option that might cause a high current draw.

This execution stop affects vehicles with a 19-03 I-Level and earlier.

At this time the only option is to use the alternative I-Level button to program the vehicle to S18A-19-03-570.'

I was going to flash to 1907 but think I'll hold back for now.

I can't find any g05 specific release notes, still only showing 19-03 as applicable for my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #30
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

For what it's worth, I got my late build '19 back from the dealer yesterday and they upgraded me from 3/2019.35 to 3/2019.90. I still feel like there are some issues that didn't get resolved. No rear emergency brake intervention while using PDC, super late frontal collision warning even when set to early, etc etc. Agreed on the pano roof execution stop, they aren't upgrading to 7/2019 yet due to some recently discovered bugs with laser lights, lane guidance, and some high current draw from the pano roof. I did notice that on 3/2019.90 the pano roof opens fully with one-touch instead of stopping a few inches forward which is a nice change.
Appreciate 1
jasrboyd123.50
      08-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #31
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkleyman View Post
For what it's worth, I got my late build '19 back from the dealer yesterday and they upgraded me from 3/2019.35 to 3/2019.90. I still feel like there are some issues that didn't get resolved. No rear emergency brake intervention while using PDC, super late frontal collision warning even when set to early, etc etc. Agreed on the pano roof execution stop, they aren't upgrading to 7/2019 yet due to some recently discovered bugs with laser lights, lane guidance, and some high current draw from the pano roof. I did notice that on 3/2019.90 the pano roof opens fully with one-touch instead of stopping a few inches forward which is a nice change.
Good to here about the one touch roof open. It's that small an opening now, it doesn't make sense to have to press it twice.
Appreciate 0