BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 ans m2

Software update

I have an early build of the 2019 X5 with the original idrive software. I would like to upgrade to a more up to date software. I went to my local dealer and they told me they were unable to help with this. They told me I have to wait until the OTA updates come available.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Not me, I had Arrowhead BMW in PHX update mine back when the .48 update was just coming out. I will wait a bit before asking for the July one though.... Seems to be a bit more hit and miss. I'm guessing by the time I need an oil change and ask for an update the OTA will be out though...

What software level are you currently on?
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I went to get my tires rotated and they updated iDrive while I was there. There have been a number of service actions on the X5 and to take care of some of them, iDrive needs to be updated.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 05:39 PM   #4
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucErDoc View Post
I have an early build of the 2019 X5 with the original idrive software. I would like to upgrade to a more up to date software. I went to my local dealer and they told me they were unable to help with this. They told me I have to wait until the OTA updates come available.
Don't just request an update as if you simply want the latest version.
Instead, complain about some of the common bugs we experience in iDrive that can be fixed by iDrive updated software.

You can complain about CarPlay disconnect (even though it does not happen in mine ); it sometimes has problem reconnecting after a short stop, e.g. you stopped for grocery or a coffee. You can also complain about the occasional non-response of the BC button - I experience this glitch only once.

Complain about these issues and ask them to fix it. And hopefully, one of their solution is to update your software....
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      08-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

What version are you running? I've also got an early build (late nov) and it was updated by the dealer in Jan when they replaced my KAFAS camera and then a couple of months ago had an OTA update to 3/2019.48 (which isn't the latest, but that's better than before) out of the blue.

Like others have said, your dealer should update it anyway but you may have to come up with "issues" .
      08-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Quote:
Don't just request an update as if you simply want the latest version.
Instead, complain about some of the common bugs we experience in iDrive that can be fixed by iDrive updated software.

You can complain about CarPlay disconnect (even though it does not happen in mine ); it sometimes has problem reconnecting after a short stop, e.g. you stopped for grocery or a coffee. You can also complain about the occasional non-response of the BC button - I experience this glitch only once.

Complain about these issues and ask them to fix it. And hopefully, one of their solution is to update your software....
I'll do that, my appointment is tomorrow.
What is the BC button?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

It’s the button on the left stalk that changes what is display in the instrument display. It’s marked BC.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:49 PM   #8
TucErDoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Not me, I had Arrowhead BMW in PHX update mine back when the .48 update was just coming out. I will wait a bit before asking for the July one though.... Seems to be a bit more hit and miss. I'm guessing by the time I need an oil change and ask for an update the OTA will be out though...

What software level are you currently on?
I'm still on 11/2018.49!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:57 PM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I'm still on 11/2018.49!
If you have laser lights then they will update you automatically in order to enable the cornering lights.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #10
OzJedi
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 2019 40i MSport Carb Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
If you have laser lights then they will update you automatically in order to enable the cornering lights.
Has anyone upgraded iDrive software without going to Dealer?
I can see option in iDrive settings and in phone app but it always says 'No upgraded software available'. I am on 2019.3.30
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:40 PM   #11
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJedi View Post
I can see option in iDrive settings and in phone app but it always says 'No upgraded software available'. I am on 2019.3.30
OTA updates have not been released. There were a couple of test ones a few months ago and nothing since. Currently you need to go to the dealer to get updated.
Appreciate 1
OzJedi107.00
      08-15-2019, 05:19 AM   #12
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
OTA updates have not been released. There were a couple of test ones a few months ago and nothing since. Currently you need to go to the dealer to get updated.
Quote:
Quote:
From my thread a few months ago it looks like I was just about the only one in NA that received an OTA update,when I started that thread I thought everyone was going to say "I got that too". Then just the other day my apps were also updated while it was sitting in my garage. Weird.
      08-15-2019, 06:33 AM   #13
AustinV
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
From my thread a few months ago it looks like I was just about the only one in NA that received an OTA update,when I started that thread I thought everyone was going to say "I got that too". Then just the other day my apps were also updated while it was sitting in my garage. Weird.
Congratulations, you are on BMW beta-testers list Not that we are not all there in some other shape or form ... LOL

Last edited by AustinV; 08-15-2019 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      08-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #14
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

Quote:
Great! So, are you still getting the latest software updates or was it an Ooops from BMW?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #15
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Then just the other day my apps were also updated while it was sitting in my garage. Weird.
Is there a way not to get auto updates but only a notification that an update is available? Then you would know there's an update and you can decide when you want to do it or even not do it at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #16
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I remembered that you got an OTA and thought maybe someone from Canada. I'm pretty sure the apps are updated during the Apps and Services updates that they regularly pushed out to everyone. It is just that there doesn't seem to be any pattern as to when that update will contain the new Apps since it happens at different times for for different owners.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #17
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Is there a way not to get auto updates but only a notification that an update is available? Then you would know there's an update and you can decide when you want to do it or even not do it at all.
No, there isn't. Apps and Services updates are constantly being pushed out. I think I have had about 15 or so since January. In just about every case there is nothing that you can see different. Many of them were just to get you to agree to new terms and conditions. Others, who knows, you just needed to check the Data Privacy button to acknowledge it.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 08-15-2019 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: grammer
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #18
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, there isn't. Apps and Services updates are constantly being pushed out. I think I have had about 15 or so since January. In just about every case there is nothing that you can see different. Many of them were just to get you to agree to new terms and conditions. Others, who knows, you just needed to check the Data Privacy button to acknowledge it.
Then is the only way not to automatically get them would be to cancel the ATT cellular service?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #19
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Then is the only way not to automatically get them would be to cancel the ATT cellular service?
That would not be a good thing.

There would be no reason I can think of to not want the Apps and Services updates.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #20
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That would not be a good thing.

There would be no reason I can think of to not want the Apps and Services updates.
So here is what I'm thinking...through reading these posts, I have collected about 39 issues that I categorized as "software related". This includes but is not limited to issues caused by updates.

I liken this to people who complain about issues with their computers that are caused by having auto update enabled. On a computer you can choose to have it notify you that an update is available, you can then choose when or if you want it. I know with Apple you can also read what the update has in it before deciding to take it. I was hoping the X5 had the same options.

For example, if it did, and it said the update fixed an issue with maps location and you knew you weren't having that issue, you might decide to skip that update for fear it would break something you used that did work.

Another example might be that all the features you use work perfect, you're a happy camper in which case you could turn off your auto updates and live a happy life.

Yes - no? Maybe?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #21
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Quote:
Great! So, are you still getting the latest software updates or was it an Ooops from BMW?
I'm going with "oops from BMW" because there are more recent versions out there now and I only had that one.
      08-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #22
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
So here is what I'm thinking...through reading these posts, I have collected about 39 issues that I categorized as "software related". This includes but is not limited to issues caused by updates.

I liken this to people who complain about issues with their computers that are caused by having auto update enabled. On a computer you can choose to have it notify you that an update is available, you can then choose when or if you want it. I know with Apple you can also read what the update has in it before deciding to take it. I was hoping the X5 had the same options.

For example, if it did, and it said the update fixed an issue with maps location and you knew you weren't having that issue, you might decide to skip that update for fear it would break something you used that did work.

Another example might be that all the features you use work perfect, you're a happy camper in which case you could turn off your auto updates and live a happy life.

Yes - no? Maybe?
I would say no. I have not seen any issues brought up due to the Apps and Services updates. Those are not the same as iDrive updates. These updates deal with not only with Apps but with services such as Real Time Traffic, weather, etc.

Even with iDrive updates, I would say it would be a very foolish move to not ever take an update. On the whole, there have been very few major issues with them, maybe three or four. Other than that just little annoying things that don't matter in the long run. We all have our different priorities and what we feel is important and what we are comfortable with.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 08-15-2019 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 2
Tenac4539.50