F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dash cam: where to mount and power
proTUNING Freaks

11-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #23
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport/F30 320d Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp2273 View Post
Just a couple of pictures of the Thinkware F770 dash cam installed and the cable connected in the passenger footwell. The camera could have gone slightly more to the left and possibly up a bit more but I wanted to make sure the lens wasn't obscured by the black dots on the windscreen (the lens is located on the front left of the unit). The camera also unlatches from the mounting plate by sliding it to the right so you have to make sure you leave room to be able to do that. You'll see from the cable picture that the cable leaves the connector at a right angle so this help to keep it tucked up out of the way
Perfect! Really appreciate that you went out of the way to take the photos. Especially as it looks like it has been raining! I need to look at the space around my mirror as I have all the speed limit camera and sensors up there. So I may not be able to get it so close. I was thinking maybe installing it in front of the idrive screen but they may be too low to see number plates.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #24
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethjonesuk View Post
Perfect! Really appreciate that you went out of the way to take the photos. Especially as it looks like it has been raining! I need to look at the space around my mirror as I have all the speed limit camera and sensors up there. So I may not be able to get it so close. I was thinking maybe installing it in front of the idrive screen but they may be too low to see number plates.
You only have to avoid the right side of the mirror cos it has the dimming sensor behind it. Other than that you are ok. All that will dictate placement is the movement you need in the mirror for adjustment.

Behind I drive screen is too low, I've checked.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #25
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Quote:
You only have to avoid the right side of the mirror cos it has the dimming sensor behind it. Other than that you are ok. All that will dictate placement is the movement you need in the mirror for adjustment.

Behind I drive screen is too low, I've checked.
Thanks Nobby
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #26
Twenty2Three
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i M Sport

Another thumbs up for the Transcend drive pro 200...
Its the "Ronseal" of dashcams
Place just to left of mirror and run a wire down to the ciggy lighter or under the glovebox if you have one there
Personally I dont notice the wire and CBA faffing around with the trim in case you spawn a trim rattle demon!
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2016, 08:48 AM   #27
Hugrov
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp888 View Post
Nice install, do you have any pictures front the outside? How discreet is out from the outside?

Thanks
Just a quick picture from the outside of the Thinkware F770, pretty discreet tbh.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #28
Shatterproof
Private
Rep
Drives: Black F80

might I refer you to this installation:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...light=koonlung
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 05:48 AM   #29
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

So I've opted for the transcend drive pro 220. £89 in Argos at the moment. I'm still struggling with hiding the USB cable at the top of windscreen as there appears to be no give between the windscreen and the trim. I'm assuming that in the 4 series convertible, the trim is different.

Any ideas or convertible drivers got around this ?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 07:01 AM   #30
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
So I've opted for the transcend drive pro 220. £89 in Argos at the moment. I'm still struggling with hiding the USB cable at the top of windscreen as there appears to be no give between the windscreen and the trim. I'm assuming that in the 4 series convertible, the trim is different.

Should just push in. The headlining is not held in above the windscreen. Use a pry tool to pull it away a little.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 07:02 AM   #31
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Should just push in. The headlining is not held in above teh windscreen. Use a pry tool to pull it away a little.
Even on the convertible? I'll send a photo when I get home
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #32
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Should just push in. The headlining is not held in above teh windscreen. Use a pry tool to pull it away a little.
Any ideas how to get it across to the mirror ?

Is this the same as the hard top?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:06 AM   #33
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Any ideas how to get it across to the mirror ?

Is this the same as the hard top?
photos from previous post
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:07 AM   #34
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Easy when the roof is up though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #35
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

Quote:

Good choice in the 220 - I could not justify the extra cash for the Thinkware.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #36
Fishman
Private =
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330 D M Sport PPK

Picking up on the comment its time for BMW to offer as option, I totally agree. Suspect they might x2 the price though..
      11-23-2016, 09:23 AM   #37
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad View Post
Quote:

Good choice in the 220 - I could not justify the extra cash for the Thinkware.
Me too, just wish the mount (suction) was a bit smaller as I can't get it as high as I'd like. Just need to figure out how on earth to hide the cable on the convertible.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #38
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
I don't think there is an airbag in the A pillar. The air bag is a side curtain airbag.

Have a look at the BlackVue cams. There was a recent thread about the Thinkware ones having software problems.

Also using the cig lighter as a power source is no good for parking modes. You need to take power from the fuse box and battery.
I have the Blackvue 650S great camera with "Cloud" so you see all files on your phone if you need too.
Mine's behind the rear view mirror.
      11-23-2016, 12:06 PM   #39
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Quote:
I don't think there is an airbag in the A pillar. The air bag is a side curtain airbag.

Have a look at the BlackVue cams. There was a recent thread about the Thinkware ones having software problems.

Also using the cig lighter as a power source is no good for parking modes. You need to take power from the fuse box and battery.
I have the Blackvue 650S great camera with "Cloud" so you see all files on your phone if you need too.
Mine's behind the rear view mirror.
The transcend shares them via wifi to an iPhone app.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 05:55 AM   #40
Smee
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp2273
Hi

I recently installed the Thinkware F770 (front only) and it was a doddle to fit. It can be hardwired or run from a cigar lighter outlet which is what I did (there's a discreet one hidden below the glove box in my car). I ran the cable inside the head lining (you simply feed the cable in) then down the windscreen pillar between the rubber seal and the trim then across into the passenger footwear. I removed the passenger footwear trim panel (2x10mm bolts), coiled up the excess cable neatly and cable tied to secure then just plugged the cable into the cigar lighter. The cigar lighter cable exits the connector at 90 degrees so stays tucked up neatly and doesn't protrude down into the footwear at all. The camera itself is very neat and sits quite flat to the screen and was easy to set up (you connect your phone/tablet to it via wifi for live view via the Thinkware app to set up alignment and general settings). Hardwiring gives extra functionality for recording whilst parked and motion detection etc but I just wanted it purely for front recording so cigar lighter outlet was good for me, this outlet powers down soon after door locking so no issues with battery drain etc..........can thoroughly recommend the F770, £200 off ebay
where did you run the cable any pictures? I just tried and the top part of the window where it meets the a pillar is an airbag

Old: F32 435d M Sport - Mods : HR Sport Springs, 20" Veemann V-FS23 in Gun Metal, M Performance Body Kit, Pedal Covers, Eurspec CF Mirror Caps, More-BHP remap 364 BHP 741 NM, M4 Under Chassis Brace, 15mm Rear ARB, 8.8" Screen Retrofit and LCI Stereo facia Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #41
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

I've got a mini 0802 bought for £55 surprised now good it is and it's tiny with a good daylight and night performance, I also routed all wiring out of the way easily down to cigarette lighter socket under front glove box.

No issues with DAB either.
Appreciate 0