F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dash cam: where to mount and power
Extreme Powerhouse

11-20-2016, 02:39 AM   #1
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport/F30 320d Lux

Dash cam: where to mount and power

Hi All, I'm thinking of getting a dash cam but looking for advice from those who have one.

1. Best value
2. Discreet mounting
3. Power installation

Surprised bmw or other car manufacturers don't have these as optional extras.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 02:54 AM   #2
McVesey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Looking for something similar, been contemplating several but Thinkware F770 seems the best as it has speed and traffic light warnings over and above the Qvia.

Id also be very interested in other thoughts.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2016, 03:02 AM   #3
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McVesey View Post
Looking for something similar, been contemplating several but Thinkware F770 seems the best as it has speed and traffic light warnings over and above the Qvia.

Id also be very interested in other thoughts.
My issue are:

I don't really want to see it dominating the windscreen.

I don't want to see wires.

I definitely don't want to start ripping my car apart.

Not much I know! Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 03:05 AM   #4
Hugrov
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI

Hi

I recently installed the Thinkware F770 (front only) and it was a doddle to fit. It can be hardwired or run from a cigar lighter outlet which is what I did (there's a discreet one hidden below the glove box in my car). I ran the cable inside the head lining (you simply feed the cable in) then down the windscreen pillar between the rubber seal and the trim then across into the passenger footwear. I removed the passenger footwear trim panel (2x10mm bolts), coiled up the excess cable neatly and cable tied to secure then just plugged the cable into the cigar lighter. The cigar lighter cable exits the connector at 90 degrees so stays tucked up neatly and doesn't protrude down into the footwear at all. The camera itself is very neat and sits quite flat to the screen and was easy to set up (you connect your phone/tablet to it via wifi for live view via the Thinkware app to set up alignment and general settings). Hardwiring gives extra functionality for recording whilst parked and motion detection etc but I just wanted it purely for front recording so cigar lighter outlet was good for me, this outlet powers down soon after door locking so no issues with battery drain etc..........can thoroughly recommend the F770, £200 off ebay
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2016, 03:08 AM   #5
Hugrov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethjonesuk View Post
My issue are:

I don't really want to see it dominating the windscreen.

I don't want to see wires.

I definitely don't want to start ripping my car apart.

Not much I know! Lol
Thinkware F770 very discreet and I don't really notice it sitting behind the rear view mirror, my Mrs also says she doesn't notice it when she's in the passenger seat.........I forget it's there until it chirps up telling me I'm in a mobile camera area/average speed area.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2016, 03:10 AM   #6
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp2273 View Post
Hi

I recently installed the Thinkware F770 (front only) and it was a doddle to fit. It can be hardwired or run from a cigar lighter outlet which is what I did (there's a discreet one hidden below the glove box in my car). I ran the cable inside the head lining (you simply feed the cable in) then down the windscreen pillar between the rubber seal and the trim then across into the passenger footwear. I removed the passenger footwear trim panel (2x10mm bolts), coiled up the excess cable neatly and cable tied to secure then just plugged the cable into the cigar lighter. The cigar lighter cable exits the connector at 90 degrees so stays tucked up neatly and doesn't protrude down into the footwear at all. The camera itself is very neat and sits quite flat to the screen and was easy to set up (you connect your phone/tablet to it via wifi for live view via the Thinkware app to set up alignment and general settings). Hardwiring gives extra functionality for recording whilst parked and motion detection etc but I just wanted it purely for front recording so cigar lighter outlet was good for me, this outlet powers down soon after door locking so no issues with battery drain etc..........can thoroughly recommend the F770, £200 off ebay
Thanks, I must admit parking bump detection (permanent supply) might be a benefit to me as the wife parks in a multi storey every day.

Do you have any photos of the cam mounted so I can get an idea of how busy the windscreen looks.

Ta.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 03:13 AM   #7
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi

That reminds me, I have asked the question with the dealer about the mysterious power socket under the glovebox and they said there wasn't one. Can you describe where to locate it please.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 03:15 AM   #8
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Stuck my transcend DrivePro behind the mirror, can barely see it from drivers seat. Routed the cable into the headlining, down the a pillar and round the passenger footwell to the 12v socket under the glovebox. Dead easy and no wires on show.
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2016, 03:19 AM   #9
Hugrov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That reminds me, I have asked the question with the dealer about the mysterious power socket under the glovebox and they said there wasn't one. Can you describe where to locate it please.
Hi Gareth

Will pop out and get some pictures soon and post them. The outlet in my car is next to the transmission tunnel but a bit further back into the footwell (hope that makes sense). Best thing is to look up under the dash from outside the car to see it (if you have it)
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2016, 03:24 AM   #10
Hugrov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Stuck my transcend DrivePro behind the mirror, can barely see it from drivers seat. Routed the cable into the headlining, down the a pillar and round the passenger footwell to the 12v socket under the glovebox. Dead easy and no wires on show.
I just made sure that I tucked the cable between the A-pillar trim and the rubber door seal but not inside the A-pillar trim itself as there's a airbag in it, I didn't want to risk any deployment issues due to the cable being inside the trim
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2016, 03:34 AM   #11
garethjonesuk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Gareth

Will pop out and get some pictures soon and post them. The outlet in my car is next to the transmission tunnel but a bit further back into the footwell (hope that makes sense). Best thing is to look up under the dash from outside the car to see it (if you have it)
Thanks, I will give that a go when I get home. I remember seeing it mentioned on the configurator and brochure.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 03:36 AM   #12
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Same, a pillar and door routing is all in the door seal.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 06:48 AM   #13
Hugrov
Captain
Rep

Just a couple of pictures of the Thinkware F770 dash cam installed and the cable connected in the passenger footwell. The camera could have gone slightly more to the left and possibly up a bit more but I wanted to make sure the lens wasn't obscured by the black dots on the windscreen (the lens is located on the front left of the unit). The camera also unlatches from the mounting plate by sliding it to the right so you have to make sure you leave room to be able to do that. You'll see from the cable picture that the cable leaves the connector at a right angle so this help to keep it tucked up out of the way
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-20-2016, 06:59 AM   #14
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
I just made sure that I tucked the cable between the A-pillar trim and the rubber door seal but not inside the A-pillar trim itself as there's a airbag in it, I didn't want to risk any deployment issues due to the cable being inside the trim
I don't think there is an airbag in the A pillar. The air bag is a side curtain airbag.

Have a look at the BlackVue cams. There was a recent thread about the Thinkware ones having software problems.

Also using the cig lighter as a power source is no good for parking modes. You need to take power from the fuse box and battery.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2016, 07:24 AM   #15
Hugrov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
I don't think there is an airbag in the A pillar. The air bag is a side curtain airbag.

Have a look at the BlackVue cams. There was a recent thread about the Thinkware ones having software problems.

Also using the cig lighter as a power source is no good for parking modes. You need to take power from the fuse box and battery.
When I pulled back the A-Pillar trim it looked like a airbag tucked up in there, could be wrong though, didn't want to go poking around in there just incase. There was a recent Firmware upgrade for the older F750 camera but I saw something the other day saying Thinkware were aware of the issue and were working on a patch/fix.

I wasn't too fussed about the parking modes, hence I went for the cigar lighter option but the hardwire cable is only about £35, would be interested if anybody can pouint me in the right direction of how to wire it and which fuse location to plug into??
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #16
psp888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Just a couple of pictures of the Thinkware F770 dash cam installed and the cable connected in the passenger footwell. The camera could have gone slightly more to the left and possibly up a bit more but I wanted to make sure the lens wasn't obscured by the black dots on the windscreen (the lens is located on the front left of the unit). The camera also unlatches from the mounting plate by sliding it to the right so you have to make sure you leave room to be able to do that. You'll see from the cable picture that the cable leaves the connector at a right angle so this help to keep it tucked up out of the way
Nice install, do you have any pictures front the outside? How discreet is out from the outside?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #17
ddc73
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 330d m sport+ EBll

I have f750 hardwired in so I have parking mode. The hardwire kit needs extending though, then I ran cable the same as the glove box way but carried on down the door seal the tucked under plastic trim all the way to the boot. I used piggy back fuse holders to connect into fuse box ( this way you can put it back to standard in minutes) and a nut near fuse box for earth. I can get a picture of connection if you want, but it's a bit dark outside but I can give it a go.
Got a photo. Permanent live from 161. Switched live 143. ( Got this from a thread on here somewhere ). Earth to holding nut.
Attached Images

Last edited by ddc73; 11-20-2016 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Photo added
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #18
Hugrov
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=psp888;20876277]Nice install, do you have any pictures front the outside? How discreet is out from the outside?

Thanks[/QUOT

I don't have any from the outside but will get one tomorrow, it's hardly noticeable from outside to be fair
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 12:13 PM   #19
Hugrov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc73 View Post
I have f750 hardwired in so I have parking mode. The hardwire kit needs extending though, then I ran cable the same as the glove box way but carried on down the door seal the tucked under plastic trim all the way to the boot. I used piggy back fuse holders to connect into fuse box ( this way you can put it back to standard in minutes) and a nut near fuse box for earth. I can get a picture of connection if you want, but it's a bit dark outside but I can give it a go.
Got a photo. Permanent live from 161. Switched live 143. ( Got this from a thread on here somewhere ). Earth to holding nut.
That's great, thanks very much for that, much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #20
Hugrov
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc73 View Post
If it's not too much trouble can you confirm which fuse holder positions you used for the 12v and 0v connections, I can hopefully work it out once I look at the fuse box in the boot.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 12:30 PM   #21
ddc73
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 330d m sport+ EBll

Quote:
If it's not too much trouble can you confirm which fuse holder positions you used for the 12v and 0v connections, I can hopefully work it out once I look at the fuse box in the boot.

Thanks
Permanent 12v =161
Switched 12v = 143
Negative or earth= any nut to body of car.
Don't really know what you mean be 0 volt.
Hope this helps. I got all connection info from a thead on here, just enter "thinkware f750 hardwire " into search on here.
Appreciate 1
Hugrov423.00
      11-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #22
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Ok. Here's my BlackVue install.

I used fuse 153 boot light for the ACC, direct to battery (with inline fuse) for permanent 12V and chassis bolt for -ve. This means one tidy connection to the fuse box and everything else is hidden.

There is no airbag in the A pillar, it's a lanyard. Route the cable(s)as others have down A pillar and along floor to boot.

Last edited by Nobby Clark; 03-22-2018 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 2