E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Helix DSP help. Help!

06-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
CDA325i
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Helix DSP help. Help!

Hello fellow BMW audio enthusiasts! I recently purchased a Helix DSP and am stuck on getting it to work the way I want. I am sure it is something simple but I thought I would put it out there and hope that someone has done something similar or has experience with them. Here is the setup:

Car is an '06 325i (e90) with Hi-fi system.
I am using the Technic harness to the Helix. Only using front RCA inputs to go out to front mids/tweets and under seat subs (4 outputs total). I have the front mids/tweets high passed and the 8" under seat band passed. I am using a 4 channel amp to run them. My problem is, the subs are not working. I get no sound out whatsoever. What am I missing???

Thank you SO much for any help you can provide!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

can you do a screen shot of the main set up screen showing the crossovers for both sets of outputs?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

You are not being specific with equipment.

You must list model numbers and the way its hooked up.
What amps you have , What speakers you have and the model numbers .
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Im betting your input section is in 4channel mode not 2 channel mode
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
CDA325i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Im betting your input section is in 4channel mode not 2 channel mode
Good call, taibanl! I will see if I can find that adjustment. I snapped a couple pics of the screen but have forgotten how to post pics. Haha! I will see if I can fet tehm from my phone to the forum. Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
CDA325i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
You must list model numbers and the way its hooked up.
What amps you have , What speakers you have and the model numbers .
I meant to say that I am running all stock speakers (except for rears) and using a HiFonics Olympus as the 4 channel. I bypassed amp crossover to use the dsp's feature.

I am only using front RCA from harness into Helix. 4 channels are coming out. 2 channels are high passed and the other 2 are bandpassed.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #7
CDA325i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
can you do a screen shot of the main set up screen showing the crossovers for both sets of outputs?
Here you go, cdgatti. See what you think of this setup.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA325i
Quote:
Here you go, cdgatti. See what you think of this setup.
That looks fine, how about the input/output matrix screen?
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
CDA325i
Rep

Quote:
That looks fine, how about the input/output matrix screen?
Here you go......
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA325i View Post
Here you go......
Why are you not using the rear OEM HU outputs as the rear inputs of the DSP?

There are no front inputs going into channel 3/4 outputs. That's the problem. By the way, the input/output settings are indeed in Page 20: http://www.helixhifi.com/downloads/a...ol_eng_web.pdf

Last edited by Technic; 06-19-2014 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
CDA325i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
There are no front inputs going into channel 3/4 outputs. That's the problem.

Whay are you not using the rear OEM HU outputs as the rear inputs of the DSP?
Forgive my ignorance but don't I need amplifier channels to each of the outputs? If so, I don't have enough at this time. And I don't plan to use the rears in the future. So how do I attain front inputs for channels 3 & 4? By using an RCA wye adapter? The way I understood the function of the DSP is that it will generate the signals internally (from 2 inputs to 4 outputs).

P.S. Please ignore your PM Technic. I sent it before seeing your reply on this thread. My apologies.

Also, it appears that the right side of last image was cut off. It reads: A/B Front L/R Mid and C/D Front L/R woofer. Is that the correct way?

Last edited by CDA325i; 06-19-2014 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance but don't I need amplifier channels to each of the outputs? If so, I don't have enough at this time. And I don't plan to use the rears in the future. So how do I attain front inputs for channels 3 & 4? By using an RCA wye adapter? The way I understood the function of the DSP is that it will generate the signals internally (from 2 inputs to 4 outputs).

P.S. Please ignore your PM Technic. I sent it before seeing your reply on this thread. My apologies.
\
Either:

A) Plug the rear harness RCA into the DSP ch C and D inputs.
B) Set the output section of the DSP ch C and D to Front L Full and Front R Full instead of Rear L Full and Rear R Full.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #13
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

You have C and D set to use Rear R and Rear L when they should be Front R and Front L. That's why you have no sound. You have it set to use rear inputs but you have no rear inputs.
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #14
CDA325i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
You have C and D set to use Rear R and Rear L when they should be Front R and Front L. That's why you have no sound. You have it set to use rear inputs but you have no rear inputs.
I see that now. I was sure I had it set to Not_Used but you are correct, it should be set to front full. I need to delete my other .afp files and just keep the ones I know are correct. lol! I might have chosen the wrong one for this photo.

Thanks mathematics!! I will try that when I get home tonight!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #15
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

No problem. That's 100% why you have no sound, provided everything else is working properly
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 09:33 AM   #16
CDA325i
Rep

Quote:
\
Either:

A) Plug the rear harness RCA into the DSP ch C and D inputs.
B) Set the output section of the DSP ch C and D to Front L Full and Front R Full instead of Rear L Full and Rear R Full.
Most excellent!! Makes sense now. BUT, I am going to add subs (along with a 2 channel sub amp) as soon as I get the box built. How will I get that incorporated into my DSP? I am out of RCA input cables.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #17
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Most excellent!! Makes sense now. BUT, I am going to add subs (along with a 2 channel sub amp) as soon as I get the box built. How will I get that incorporated into my DSP? I am out of RCA input cables.
DSP can create 8ch outputs with just 2 inputs... that's the whole purpose of the input screen that you posted a photo of in post #9.

Again... read page 20. Everything is there.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #18
CDA325i
Rep

Quote:
DSP can create 8ch outputs with just 2 inputs... that's the whole purpose of the input screen that you posted a photo of in post #9.

Again... read page 20. Everything is there.
Sorry, but Page 20 is doing nothing for me. Otherwise I would have it figured out by now. I am not a complete idiot but sometimes it takes a while for a new concept to sink in. It will become clear with everyone's help and it will be like the clouds have parted. haha! Another silly question, you say that I can create 8 outputs with 2 inputs so why would I need to plug in the rear RCA inputs from harness? That is why I thought I could get it done with just the fronts RCA.

Edit: That configuration pic could be incorrect. I was in a hurry this morning to post it up from my laptop and might have chosen the wrong config file.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #19
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Also for the matrix selection... you need to use every box on the line. For example for your front left underseat, choose 'front L full' in every box, I know it sounds redundant, but that is the only way the output will get the full power signal. Do not select 'not used' in any of the boxes on that line.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, but Page 20 is doing nothing for me.
You need to keep reading... input/output section starts at page 20.

Quote:
Otherwise I would have it figured out by now. I am not a complete idiot but sometimes it takes a while for a new concept to sink in. It will become clear with everyone's help and it will be like the clouds have parted. haha! Another silly question, you say that I can create 8 outputs with 2 inputs so why would I need to plug in the rear RCA inputs from harness? That is why I thought I could get it done with just the fronts RCA.

Edit: That configuration pic could be incorrect. I was in a hurry this morning to post it up from my laptop and might have chosen the wrong config file.
That's the "either" part of my reply, page 23:

Quote:
"In the center of the input mask, you can allocate any of the input signals to each of the eight outputs A-H (NOX4 DSP: A-F). You can also use either the right or left mouse button to make this selection.

It is mandatory to allocate at least one input to every output that you like to use. If you add two or more input channels to one output, each input channel is weigthed equally. If you want to generate a sum signal for a subwoofer output from all four front and rear channels, then please choose this adjustment. If you like to generate a front center signal from both front channels then this adjustment makes sense.

You do not have to use all the inputs. It is entirely possible to generate all outputs channels from only two input channels. We recommend setting all unused inputs and outputs to “Not_used”.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #21
CDA325i
Rep

Quote:
Also for the matrix selection... you need to use every box on the line. For example for your front left underseat, choose 'front L full' in every box, I know it sounds redundant, but that is the only way the output will get the full power signal. Do not select 'not used' in any of the boxes on that line.
Are you referring to the center portion of the input mask? The section under the Summation of Input Signals? According to the manual (pg. 21), it shows only the first box filled out and the rest are Not Used.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #22
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

yea the center section. In a literature piece that i had from helix, it said to select a signal in every box of a line that is used in order to assure the output has full power. try it, can't hurt.
Appreciate 0