Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Plenty in Stock

Each of my local dealers has over 5 cars!...

When do the deals come out?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozola View Post
Each of my local dealers has over 5 cars!...

When do the deals come out?
keep your eyes peeled, should be some good stuff coming soon

96 Volvo 850 Turbo 120k
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
BPinDAY
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3

Off Sticker in PHX

BMW dealer in Phoenix is taking $1526 off for an April production Laurel Grey Tera BEV. Could more incentives be on the way?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Yes!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #5
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Given the nature of the vehicle, it makes sense somewhat that as you move away from the densely populated areas, that dealers may have more of these in stock...given their range and design goals, places like out in the great middle or southwest of the USA, where the distances between population centers grows to sometimes immense distances, a city car may not be a very good choice.

The dealer where I have done my business has trouble keeping an i3 in stock, and to get mine, he swapped one with another dealer to get my choice of options and color.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
BPinDAY
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3

Driving Distances

Agree. BTW 5 of this dealers 7 i3's are Rex. The BEV other than the Tera is the lowest price of the group.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Wait, I thought these things were supposed to sell like hotcakes. Discounts after being available for a month or two?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #8
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Who's got sales numbers?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Red face

I'll say it again, if you need a REx version, you probably shouldn't buy an i3! And, it seems those are the ones sitting on the lots.

I kept my ICE (a 535x-drive GT) for longer trips, and on longer trips in the summer, I get around 30mpg with it (not bad for an x-drive), and on the last trip with that mileage, went over 500-miles on each tank. Something you couldn't think about with the i3, at least in any sort of efficient (timewise) way. I suppose if your daily use was right at the edge of the battery capability, the REX would make sure you could get home, but then, I'd want a little more to work with. My big thing about using the i3 for more common tasks was to not have to worry about buying gas (can fill the i3 up at home), or mufflers, or oil changes, or antifreeze. About the only thing that needs to be done to the BEV is brake related and the cabin air filter.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

A non REX would be perfect for me, but lease rates are ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #11
Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozola View Post
Who's got sales numbers?
we sold one last month....

96 Volvo 850 Turbo 120k
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #12
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

My dealer sold 4 last week, and I was visiting the BMW dealer in Hyannis, MA on Cape Cod - they had sold their entire allocation, and some they were able to get from other area dealers as well. So, I guess it really depends on where you live, the economic viability, and the environment...it really only makes sense if it can be used as designed, as a city car, or for the vast majority of short trips. If you don't qualify, or the area is rural...it's probably not a viable vehicle, and will not sell well.

The thing is not cheap (verses something like the Leaf or Focus EV, or even the VOlt, but the Volt is sort of in a different class, being a hybrid). So, it takes someone both interested and able to pay for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

The funny thing is that it's not that much more than a Volt, but it's 2.5-3x as expensive to lease. Sorry, I don't want to buy something that will be outdated in three or four years. BMW has to work out a better lease deal. The Mini E was a much better deal six years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

The base price of a Volt is $34,995 w/ freight. The going prices for the Volt with a few $K of options are in the low 30's before the $7,500 tax rebate. Everyone keeps calling the Volt a hybrid, when it is actually an Extended Range EV. Yup, the engine will drive the front wheels only under one circumstance where the battery is depleted and the continuous speed is above 70 MPH, but to use that to classify it as a hybrid (i.e. Prius) is a bit of a stretch.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-03-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 09:32 AM   #15
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Had an odd dream this morning after waking up and going back to sleep (when all of my whacked out dreams tend to happen). An i3 that I apparently had ordered, but didn't mean to order, arrived at the dealership. Went to look at it and didn't know what to say to my CA as I struggled with, 'I wasn't ready to order it, how did this happen, but maybe I want it...' I actually thought (in my dream) about this thread thinking, they should be able to sell it easy enough if I turn it down, no harm no foul.. But that dream sums up how I actually do feel about this car. I kind of want one, but don't know that I'm ready to give up my 335 for it yet (too early in my lease too anyway, but that's awake logic).
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 06:18 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
My dealer sold 4 last week, and I was visiting the BMW dealer in Hyannis, MA on Cape Cod - they had sold their entire allocation, and some they were able to get from other area dealers as well. So, I guess it really depends on where you live, the economic viability, and the environment...it really only makes sense if it can be used as designed, as a city car, or for the vast majority of short trips. If you don't qualify, or the area is rural...it's probably not a viable vehicle, and will not sell well.

The thing is not cheap (verses something like the Leaf or Focus EV, or even the VOlt, but the Volt is sort of in a different class, being a hybrid). So, it takes someone both interested and able to pay for it.
So, with all the banter between us on the i3, I finally had time to take one for a test drive yesterday. Its a decent driver, butt ugly and expensive for a car that really has two usable seats, but it does have some BMW-ness about it. It does drive better than the Volt and you can feel the weight is not in it. The Volt is a great car too, but under-tire'd and weight-balance disadvantaged (like every front-drive car is IMO). The i3's trick is a good stiff chassis (the Volt's not bad), with the correct tire size, 50/50 weight balance, and rear drive dynamics. I found the i3 steering correctly weighted and precise, but lacking feedback like most other electric steering systems I've driven. The i3 is a digital driving experience, which at first is different and new (making it exciting and fresh), but I'm concerned it will get boring and mundane. It's just not "alive" like a naturally-aspirated I6 ICE BMW is; however, maybe that's the point and we shouldn't expect it to be such.

I've never given the thought to an i3 or a Volt until the building where I work has decided to go "Green" and get "LEED certified". I looked all that up to see what it meant and adding EV charging stations for 2% of the parking spaces in the facility gets the building brownie points towards LEEDness (I thought they may replace all the windows with opening units and give everyone a Vornado fan and a few rocks for paper weights...). So I suggested to the building management that adding some EV charging stations should be part of it's plan to go green. They are working it.

Being that my commute is about 82 miles one way, now if I can charge at work the i3 (or Volt) comes into the realm of ownership. I still see the i3 as a second family car, and my use would strictly be for my work commute and rare weekend duty (what my E90 currently endures). But it would work for me. The Tesla is too much electric for me (if that makes any sense) because it carries around too much battery. And the Volt carries too much weight too but it being a more robust range-extender unit. The i3 is a nice balance in between the Tesla and the Volt, anyway for my commute at least. Which has always been your point; if the i3 suits one's usage profile, then it should be considered.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-08-2014 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #17
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Wow, Eft, you really gave it a fair shake. I'd love to see 50% more range without having to resort to the REX, but suppose that's still a few years away.

I actually found the rear seats reasonable, but I apparently like to punish people as we've made a 135i and X1 work for years.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #18
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Given the intended use, the rear seats aren't bad. They certainly aren't particularly viable for a long trip, but then, the vehicle can't make it without stop(s) and fairly lengthy recharging.

There was an article in my local paper today about VT putting in their first DC fast charger. They'd made a commitment to Montreal to provide an electric friendly route. There are more to come, but still, none around me.

My i3 is fun to drive, holds me and my folding recumbent trike, and suits my needs. I do not expect a need to stress its capabilities. FWIW, the parking garages in Boston's Logan airport have about 20 or so EVSE installed, and are free (well, no extra charge) if you pay the parking fee. That puts the airport within range for me, but that also assumes you can find a space where the EVSE is free! Since the thing is locked into the car when you lock the doors, you should be assured of having a fully charged car when you return from your trip.

My cellphone is not Android or Apple, but I did buy an Android tablet. It's neat being able to check the charging status, make sure it is locked, and tell it to precondition itself prior to leaving so you get into a nice warm/cool car (depending on the season). If plugged in at the time, that also maximizes your range, since you don't have to use precious battery power to do it.

The tall/thin tires should work reasonably in winter weather, but as part of my deal, I got the dealer to offer me a winter tire/wheel set at cost, whenever they actually show up in the USA pricebook (hopefully before winter!). I'm a firm believer in dedicated winter tires, and with the i3 being rear-wheel drive with my long, steep driveway, they'll add a little extra bit of usefulness and safety.

Depending on the route, the weather, and your driving technique, 84-miles may be a stretch in the winter-time unless you opt for the REx. The heater isn't all that bad, but the electrically heated seats, being resistance verses a heat pump, can suck the batteries pretty hard, if you need to use them (and aren't available if you're in EcoPro+ mode). This assumes you want and ordered the heated seats.

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 07-08-2014 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #19
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

I tend to give all cars a fair shake being that I own a GM product, a Ford product, a Honda motorcycle, and the BMWs: a 2006 325i and 1997 Z3. I've no propensity for Brand bashing, but conversely I take every Brand's marketing info with a grain of salt and don't swallow the hype so easily. You'd exepect a BMW EV to handle well and I was glad I found it so. However I find the Volt as impressive engineering-wise as I do BMW's i3, but for different reasons, which makes sense since their intended uses are somewhat different. The i3 is a tall vehicle, but that's because of the limitations of a body-on-frame design, cars from the '40s are the same way. I can’t see it getting any better driving dynamics, but they are not bad from my 30 minutes with the car. I’d love to get it on some back roads, but there lies the dilemma, good roads (which I drive every day) are at the i3’s EV range limit. I would purchase a Rex version. I need to drive that to see how differently it drives from the EV version. What I really don’t get is the i3's placement of the charge point; maybe BMW just can’t break tradition…

My real interest for an electric is not altruistic by any means but just merely to get on the grid for a stable fuel price rather than deal with the fluctuations of gasoline (some Arab farts and the price goes up 20 cents - stupid). I need to find a new DD because at 255K on the E90, I want to retire it while it remains in good shape and start removing the miles from its body and components; it is such an excellent car to drive. I see my E90 as the last true classic BMW. I mistakenly gave up my E30 when I bought the E90, I tend not to make mistakes twice (usually ).

I know I'm harsh most times, but I'm a car geek and I really love to have good discussions with like-minded car geeks that possess intelligence; I find it in the i3 forum with you gents.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-08-2014 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I tend to give all cars a fair shake being that I own a GM product, a Ford product, a Honda motorcycle, and the BMWs: a 2006 325i and 1997 Z3. I've no propensity for Brand bashing, but conversely I take every Brand's marketing info with a grain of salt and don't swallow the hype so easily. You'd exepect a BMW EV to handle well and I was glad I found it so. However I find the Volt as impressive engineering-wise as I do BMW's i3, but for different reasons, which makes sense since their intended uses are somewhat different. The i3 is a tall vehicle, but that's because of the limitations of a body-on-frame design, cars from the '40s are the same way. I can’t see it getting any better driving dynamics, but they are not bad from my 30 minutes with the car. I’d love to get it on some back roads, but there lies the dilemma, good roads (which I drive every day) are at the i3’s EV range limit. I would purchase a Rex version. I need to drive that to see how differently it drives from the EV version. What I really don’t get is the i3's placement of the charge point; maybe BMW just can’t break tradition…

My real interest for an electric is not altruistic by any means but just merely to get on the grid for a stable fuel price rather than deal with the fluctuations of gasoline (some Arab farts and the price goes up 20 cents - stupid). I need to find a new DD because at 255K on the E90, I want to retire it while it remains in good shape and start removing the miles from its body and components; it is such an excellent car to drive. I see my E90 as the last true classic BMW. I mistakenly gave up my E30 when I bought the E90, I tend not to make mistakes twice (usually ).

I know I'm harsh most times, but I'm a car geek and I really love to have good discussions with like-minded car geeks that possess intelligence; I find it in the i3 forum with you gents.
If you are looking for any form of driving pleasure, the Volt will leave you hollow and empty inside. First thing I noticed while driving one was that it's incredibly hard to see out of. Not to mention the steering is atrocious and the acceleration puts me to sleep.

96 Volvo 850 Turbo 120k
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Genius@BMWMtLaurel View Post
If you are looking for any form of driving pleasure, the Volt will leave you hollow and empty inside. First thing I noticed while driving one was that it's incredibly hard to see out of. Not to mention the steering is atrocious and the acceleration puts me to sleep.
Well considering you work at a BMW dealership I'd exepct nothing more than this type of response. I find the Volt quite pleasent to drive. The acceleration in sport mode is not bad (it just improves throttle response) and is just over a second slower than the i3 REx (7.9 vs. 9), so BFD. I've had one on some decent back roads and I found it quite competent. The steering is a bit lighter than the i3, but no less accurate. Like I said the i3 has nice weighting to the steering, but I found no feedback whatsoever in it. The Volt A-pillers are a bit obtrusive, but that's just a matter of getting used to them. They are both technically competent cars IMO. The Volt can be operated as use in a single car family, where as the i3 is stricly a secondary car for most families. 160 miles of range in the best of circustances and 3.5 hrs of full charge is just not a realistic utility for most families.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-09-2014 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #22
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Chris Harris seems to really like the Volt.

Appreciate 0