THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery 2015 Order Question

06-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
Unclev
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 228i

2015 Order Question

Hello all,
I test drove a 2014 228i about a month ago and want to place a special order for a 2015 but don't quite know how to proceed. I never "special" ordered a car before. I saw on here the production starts in July as well as the 2015 pricing. When would I be able to go into a dealer and order a 2015 considering the 2015 models are not listed on the BMWUSA website yet? Also, can I place the order then negotiate the price when it is delivered or will they make me iron out all the numbers including my trade in BEFORE I order?

Thank you all for your assistance.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclev View Post
Hello all,
I test drove a 2014 228i about a month ago and want to place a special order for a 2015 but don't quite know how to proceed. I never "special" ordered a car before. I saw on here the production starts in July as well as the 2015 pricing. When would I be able to go into a dealer and order a 2015 considering the 2015 models are not listed on the BMWUSA website yet? Also, can I place the order then negotiate the price when it is delivered or will they make me iron out all the numbers including my trade in BEFORE I order?

Thank you all for your assistance.
Work everything out when placing the order. Worst thing to have happen is you wait a month and a half and the deal falls through because your dealership is unwilling to meet your price. You're not obligated to buy, but who wants to go through that?

Look at the pricing threads for what people are paying for a 228i, maybe even in your particular geographic region and use that as a starting point for negotiations, keeping in mind that posted deals have incentives factored in, which are not currently being offered for 2015's. Also note, if you plan to lease, numbers don't seem to be available yet, so you have to be comfortable with terms perhaps similar to what is currently available, but possibly slightly worse, which will affect your monthly payment.

Find a reputable sales person and get started. Ordering guides are available, they are already taking orders.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #3
TAY TAY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S4

Your dealer should have a 2015 order guide that you can option the car from. Also they should have there 2015 allocations, as they are usually given a month early.
      06-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
Unclev
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the responses. I will purchasing the vehicle so no lease. I will contact the dealer and get the numbers set before I order. Hopefully they will be willing to deal on a 2015. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #5
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Nothing really special about a 2015. So don't even think of it as such. Pretty much the same model into it's seventh month of production.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
Unclev
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks again for the info. Do you think it would be possible to negotiate a 2015 228i special order local dealer delivery for $200 over invoice? Or is that pushing it a bit. Most of the deals I'm seeing are for leases and I will be purchasing so any help on what I should expect would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclev View Post
Thanks again for the info. Do you think it would be possible to negotiate a 2015 228i special order local dealer delivery for $200 over invoice? Or is that pushing it a bit. Most of the deals I'm seeing are for leases and I will be purchasing so any help on what I should expect would be greatly appreciated.
New model year builds start in July.
Orders can be placed as early as May, but it depends on exactly when BMW opens the ordering for the new model year, and if/when the dealer has an allocation for special orders.

When you are serious about ordering your sales person should do everything possible to secure a special order allocation.
They can even trade allocations with other dealers if need be.

Whether leasing or loan purchasing the pricing deal will be the same.
Loan purchase won't get you a better discount, and cash deals won't either.
Cash purchases don't get better discounts either, because the dealer and BMW can't make any extra money that they can make on a lease or BMW financing, as they make money from the interest and money factor/interest from the loan and lease.

Best pricing will be dependent on your market and dealer.
Some markets and dealers will do invoice deals, some will want more, some less.
$200 over actual invoice would be great, but don't get stuck on it if the dealer won't accept.
If you have multiple BMW dealers in your area, then you can try for the lowest invoice deal as that market will have greater competition for a sale.
With more than 2 dealers in a 50-100 mile radius you should be able to find one of them doing near invoice deals.

But, fighting over a couple hundred dollars can be a losing proposition.
Long ago I used to do that and it cost me more time, effort, and emotional involvement and for what, a few hundred dollars?
I would spend more time contacting and going to the different dealers to try and get the few hundred dollar lower price while wasting my time and wasting gas.
$500 over actual invoice is a great offer and pays off for both the buyer and the seller, because both will think they could do better.
You may think you could get another few hundred off and the dealer will think they could get a few hundred more.
In that situation you have a good deal as both parties think they could have done better.

On my last 2 BMW's, both special order, I offered $500 over actual invoice and told my SA that I would have to see the actual invoice.
Plus I asked for all weather floor mats and mud guards that I would install to be included in the deal.
I do this when I am ready to make the commitment.
I had all my pricing information before I went in and both deals were accepted no problem and quickly.
$500 over invoice is a very good deal and not on that a dealer will easily turn away.

You'll pay $300 more than what you're thinking, but it may end up being a smoother deal and it gives the SA and dealer a bit extra to keep them happy.
I think it's important to have a positive relationship with the dealership, and the SA needs to make some money as well.

When I ordered and leased my 2013 335i Msport I bought a very nice bottle of bourbon for my SA, around $50. I asked him what he drinks, and when I went to pick up my shiny new 335i I gave him the bottle.
A small gesture goes a long way as the SA will remember it and the next time you are in for another car or need something you're likely to get help quicker.

I'm now considering an early lease trade in to get an M235i.
My SA for the 335i has retired, but when I contacted him he quickly directed me to another SA that he said would treat me properly.

Happy shopping and good deal making.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #8
Unclev
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks, I will go in with $500 over invoice and well see what happens. Hopefully they will continue the $1000 dealer incentive in July as well.
Appreciate 0