THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Question on wheels & tires (yes I know another thread started)

06-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Glassjaw047
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i Estoril Blue II

Question on wheels & tires (yes I know another thread started)

Yes I know I've started yet another Tire & Wheel Thread but I do not think this has been started as I did some quick searching.

Anyways, So my car is coming with the All-Season Run Flats. Why do you ask did I go with this? Because I am currently in the North East (Long Island, NY) and in case we go through another winter like we just did this past one. I know it doesn't help THAT much since it's RWD but better than having the PSS Tires.

After some thought I've realized that I was probably better off just getting the Staggered Wheel Setup with the PSS Tires.

My question(s) to you all is.....

1. Now that I won't be having the staggered setup and will be having 7.5 inch width front & back wheels....is it THAT much of a difference in performance....handling....etc.? Will I even notice it?

2. If I end up getting a set of PSS on my own to put on, will BMW reprogram the car taking off the Top Speed Limiter?
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4XE Summit Reserve (Current)
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

1. Wider wheels in the back will give you a little bit more understeer. Since the difference is only .5", I doubt that you'll be able to tell the difference.

2. Not 100% sure but probably not. Either way, does it really matter? I mean , you're not planning on going 155mph in NY are you?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
Glassjaw047
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
1. Wider wheels in the back will give you a little bit more understeer. Since the difference is only .5", I doubt that you'll be able to tell the difference.

2. Not 100% sure but probably not. Either way, does it really matter? I mean , you're not planning on going 155mph in NY are you?

1. Yeah that's what I figured.

2. No I do not plan on going 155 mph haha. So could of also sworn that I heard someone say that the suspension for M235i was tuned specifically with the PSS Tires or something along those lines and makes a difference?? Don't know if that's true or not but....

So yeah, I also keep getting told now that Run-Flats in NY are no good as I'm more than likely to blow a tire out with all these pot holes vs. a non-run flat tire....
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

The 155 issue is addressed over in the tire and wheel section but from what I recall the ECU must be reprogrammed in the first 10 miles so basically at the port or dealer at delivery.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I ordered staggered wheels and I'm just outside Baltimore City where we have lots of hills and ice storms.

But I work frm home and I can walk to go chk on my parents.

All-season tires do offer pretty good winter performance in my opinion, there are some good books -Vic Elford's for instance- that have some winter driving tips.

And RunFlat tires are pretty amazing.

I think a good argument can be made that RunFlat and All-season are smart choices.

As far as top-speed, I personally found having a speed-limiter is not a terrible thing if your going out early Sunday morning or late at night and knocking off twisty two lane roads like a schmuck...
on a quick car like the M235 you can really gain some triple-digit entrances for turns and scrubbing off 140+mph is a bit too much.

Out on the highway how many times are you going to attempt a high-speed run?
Even on track-days you'd be fine with 130 top - it's really all about the turns.

As far as staggered or constant width all around - when you can rotate tires you can really add some mileage to their life-span and if your driving on poor roads you can probably at some point find a spare that will work on all corners / stick the spare in your trunk for urban or long drives and your in good shape.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
I've driven sports cars in NYC all year long.. and I have always used strict Summer tires for the summer (what there is of it) and then Winter tires for the winter. Many people will tell you that "all season" tires are a comprise for hot vs. semi-cold/wet and that the all-seasons are worthless in snow anyway.

GBNF:
2021 G80 M3, 2019 F90 M5 Competition, 2016 F80 M3, 2014 F22 M235i
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
Glassjaw047
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by notime View Post
I ordered staggered wheels and I'm just outside Baltimore City where we have lots of hills and ice storms.

But I work frm home and I can walk to go chk on my parents.

All-season tires do offer pretty good winter performance in my opinion, there are some good books -Vic Elford's for instance- that have some winter driving tips.

And RunFlat tires are pretty amazing.

I think a good argument can be made that RunFlat and All-season are smart choices.

As far as top-speed, I personally found having a speed-limiter is not a terrible thing if your going out early Sunday morning or late at night and knocking off twisty two lane roads like a schmuck...
on a quick car like the M235 you can really gain some triple-digit entrances for turns and scrubbing off 140+mph is a bit too much.

Out on the highway how many times are you going to attempt a high-speed run?
Even on track-days you'd be fine with 130 top - it's really all about the turns.

As far as staggered or constant width all around - when you can rotate tires you can really add some mileage to their life-span and if your driving on poor roads you can probably at some point find a spare that will work on all corners / stick the spare in your trunk for urban or long drives and your in good shape.
Your points are very strong. My current car (G37S Coupe AWD) I have Yokohama Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires. They're amazing! Never an issue with these bad boys! They grip like crazy even in the winter. I was thinking of getting the Michelin Ultra High Performance All-Season tires. Read through maybe 100 reviews and the majority agreed upon that they're just like having summer tires as they grip just as good if not better than some plus you get better grip than a summer tire in the rain with them as well. The reviews also mentioned that you're awesome in the lower temp weather conditions which is an added benefit. Oh and forgot to mention that another big point people said in their reviews was that there was a significant drop in road noise from these tires and took imperfect roads with bumps & cracks like a summer tire as well. They weren't a bad price on Tire Rack. Was $614 after a $70 mail-in rebate (and before taxes & shipping).

- Top Speed Limiter, you're right on that.....I shouldn't even care about that issue. I'm not tracking the car. It is going to be my daily commuter to work/basically everyday go to car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
I've driven sports cars in NYC all year long.. and I have always used strict Summer tires for the summer (what there is of it) and then Winter tires for the winter. Many people will tell you that "all season" tires are a comprise for hot vs. semi-cold/wet and that the all-seasons are worthless in snow anyway.
- I guess it's just what people like best and if they don't mind having a winter & summer setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Hmmm... Well not really. Summer tires need only be good at dry or wet conditions and don't sacrifice either for a compound that can deal with cold weather. Some summers may stink in the rain, but generally they will be better than the all seasons in everything but cold.

You would need to compare the best all seasons to the worst summers to find an all season that can "grip just as good if not better than some plus you get better grip than a summer tire in the rain with them." Compared to the PSS, I think you'd find yourself mistaken.

Last edited by hyperzulu; 06-13-2014 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0