THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Help me plan my custom exhaust

06-09-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i

Help me plan my custom exhaust

I dont wait to pay the ridiculous prices for the existing exhausts setup out there plus I like the idea of a one off setup.
I need suggestions without telling me to buy the Castro setup for $1400 + tax + install. Vehicle will be stock for now. Goal is actually just for the purpose of better sound. Downpipe and cat will not be changed but JB4 is a strong possibility even though BMS won't sell it to me directly. CAI might also be possible.

Should I go with 3" diameter?
Cat Back or axle back?
Free flow mufflers or just resonators (like Castro) ?

Setup will either be Mandrel bent or mandrel bent pieces cut and welded.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i

anybody?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
ciwhamc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Alpine White

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I would suggest finding a very reputable muffler shop. I have had great work done custom by a local muffler shop in my area.

A good shop will be able to advise you. Might even be able to make you a set up with both a muffler and a resonator. But the resonator section could be a bolt on if it is to quiet.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #4
JustinCredibleM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 GT-R, '02 996TT

It's probably better to just hit up an exhaust shop, tell them what you're looking for and go from there. I would stick with the same diameter at least and probably do a catback for the full-sound. There's a resonator on the stock mid-pipe so coupled with an axleback it might be too quiet, but it depends on what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #5
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Headed this Tuesday to my old magic exhaust wizard that should be in a Harry Potter movie to have a exhaust delete. Keeping all else same.

Will use proper flanges and anti-seize so I can remove pipes and put the MPE exhaust back, on IF I wish later. Yup a bit of expense to try this, but it needs a bit more Otis Redding sound.

Will stay with 3" as stock, a new proper Y pipe and properly welded, and use the PE tips that came on my new PE.

Boyo, I may regret this little experiment, but won't know unless I try. Will keep you posted if anyone is interested in result. Been watching the posts on cutting up exhaust, welding holes etc, and this seems a better option for later.

Current PE settles down to just too low a sound after those first 30 secs, as we know. Removing electronic valve helped sooome but, this is next step.
Appreciate 0