E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Runflats - Unfair hate?

06-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
BMW325iE90
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Runflats - Unfair hate?

Due to me using the car for long commutes for so long and rest assured on the safety of RFTs, quick question. My car has been running on RFTs forever and my friend and I were mulling over the viability of RFTs.

If I was to change the rims on it and get these non-RFTs, what would I do if I got a puncture and flat on the motorway since there is no spare tire in the car? People rave on about how they were so quick to move from RFTs to non-RFTs but fail to realise the safety these RFTs bring.

To those who have made the change what do you do if you get a flat etc?

I have read a lot (and I mean a lot) of threads on how people love the new ride, lack of tramlining, and general feel of the non-RFT but to be brutally honest the ride of RFT is not so bad that it is complete garbage as some people are so quick to say and the safety feature actually warrants the hyped price.

It almost feels in some ways people are justifying the purchases of non-RFTs and completely dismissing the reasons as to why RFT's were made - SAFETY! If you're going to race your car at the ring on a constant and go to track days then fair enough take the chance but 99% of you on here are not so why the "unjust" hate on RFTs?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Seems to me you are justiflying the runflat yourself?

The M3's don't use runflat for a reason so they have a compact repair kit in the boot.

The M3's never had any cracking issues whereas most cases are tyres fitted with runflat- including myself.

If you have less than 19's wheel and are happy with runflat then why change? It's your car at the end of the day.

My michelin pilot super sports cost me £190 a corner whereas runflats cost 200 a corner online, not really much saving, but non runflat gives better grip, no more bunny jump, no more cracking alloys

And more than 2 of the reason are real reasons not a reason to justifly my purchase.

I have a can of tyre weld and a continental kit, i don't use the glue if i got a punture, i just pump it back up and go to nearest repair center, if its more sever then i just tyre weld and finally my last option would be the conti kit
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
BMW325iE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
Seems to me you are justiflying the runflat yourself
Not at all, I am looking at getting 19 inch CSLs put on my car, just gauging the bad press RFTs have...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
AWebster
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

My runflats with 5-6 mm tread on when taken off were ruined inside and would have blown out before long, will never run them again after seeing it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Never use Runflat on reps!! OEM aren't strong enough , what makes you think reps are? i put RFT on reps for 5000 miles and it had cracks, i replaced the wheels and non runflat , never had a problem in 2 years!

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
BMW325iE90
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
Never use Runflat on reps!! OEM aren't strong enough , what makes you think reps are? i put RFT on reps for 5000 miles and it had cracks, i replaced the wheels and non runflat , never had a problem in 2 years!
Going to put the CSLs on FALKENs most likely
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #7
rufnekfatboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Conv

Just a couple of points..

I think part of the problem is, if you want to change your rims then there seems to be limited choice in the 'style' rims that are available that can use RFT's unless you go down the OEM route - most people haven't got the money for that. Plus there is this risk of cracking..

On the safety point, I had to replace all 4 of my RFT's last year due to them delaminating - this was caused by under inflation according to my local dealer.

To be fair they did only have about 30psi which was my mistake but it was not until car was on the ramps that you could see the damage, if this had gone un-noticed could these have blown out at high speed.

I have stuck with them due to the risk of the puncture and getting stuck in the middle of no where - I am lucky like that...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Runflats definitely feel better on a smooth road, car feels more agile and responsive thanks to the stiff sidewalls. But other than that they aren't as good.

Newer cars which have been properly designed with Runflats in mind, and new Runflats being better, I'd probably stick with them on an Fxx car, but not on an Exx car.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
Thedirtymex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i cabrio M sport

After my recent flat tyre 6 hrs from home I plan to buy a spare tyre and leave it on the back seat while driving interstate. Get a nice cover for it bmw logo and bam. Never have to worry again
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #10
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW325iE90 View Post
Not at all, I am looking at getting 19 inch CSLs put on my car, just gauging the bad press RFTs have...
You can't put runflat tyres on wheels not designed for them.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #11
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW325iE90 View Post
Due to me using the car for long commutes for so long and rest assured on the safety of RFTs, quick question. My car has been running on RFTs forever and my friend and I were mulling over the viability of RFTs.

If I was to change the rims on it and get these non-RFTs, what would I do if I got a puncture and flat on the motorway since there is no spare tire in the car? People rave on about how they were so quick to move from RFTs to non-RFTs but fail to realise the safety these RFTs bring.

To those who have made the change what do you do if you get a flat etc?

I have read a lot (and I mean a lot) of threads on how people love the new ride, lack of tramlining, and general feel of the non-RFT but to be brutally honest the ride of RFT is not so bad that it is complete garbage as some people are so quick to say and the safety feature actually warrants the hyped price.

It almost feels in some ways people are justifying the purchases of non-RFTs and completely dismissing the reasons as to why RFT's were made - SAFETY! If you're going to race your car at the ring on a constant and go to track days then fair enough take the chance but 99% of you on here are not so why the "unjust" hate on RFTs?
The ride on runflats is much harsher, louder and there is less grip.

The way the car behaves with runflats on rough roads can be quite concerning.

How often have you had a puncture and had to stop at the roadside? 18 years of driving and I've never had a flat tyre. I've had just a few punctures but noticed something in the tyre and drove to a tyre shop to get them repaired.

Runflats are only supposed to be used for a short distance at a low speed once deflated. They won't help you complete a long journey.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #12
BMWburger
Rep
Drives: 320D

BMW325iE90. You actually make a good FOR and AGAINST point in your original post.

I agree that RFT's offer the safety net of getting stuck on a motorway as you won't tear the side wall as you take a dive for the hard shoulder at motorway speeds (done that before), but not everyone does motorway driving and I would hope that they have factor'd in finding a way to get home if they pick up a puncture.
Either way I think cost is the biggest reason, then backed up by a softer ride.

I think your question however, is whether RFT's are you. But if you do big miles then maybe a repair kit or spare isn't the answer in your case and RFT's are?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #13
John320d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Do not know where you have got that from. I put my new winter tyres on my OEMs two years ago and had my runflats transferred to my new reps. No problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #14
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 335D Msport Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Yes you can, they're just like any other tyre.But,in the event of pressure loss it's the wheel design that keeps the run flat tyre from demounting.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #15
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
I changed from RFT to non run flats on my e92 huge improvement in ride quality. Agree that turn in did become slightly less sharp. A friend of mine with RFT had a tyre delaminate / blow out on the motorway and had to get AA assistance.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #16
rufnekfatboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Conv

I'm with Kerr on this one.... If the wheel is not designed to take a run flat, then you should not put one on it...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #17
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_M79 View Post
Yes you can, they're just like any other tyre.But,in the event of pressure loss it's the wheel design that keeps the run flat tyre from demounting.
They won't function as runflats though.

The OP seems to want the benefit of having runflats, which he won't have if he fits CSL wheels like he is planning.

I never realised that you could still fit them but it makes sense.

It would catch some people out so I thought I'd mention it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #18
Shaun69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

I've had an rx8 and BMW Z4M and both come with a tire glue system instead of run flats. Comparing the handling to driving those two car my 335 felt awful on run flats. Much better now
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #19
Shaun69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

This is all you need

Two cans on these and a tire pump is all you need.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...5664&langId=-1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #20
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

ive never had a problem with runflats since I ditched the dreadful bridgestones. I changed to Pirelli which are light years better. a lot of people claim huge improvements in ride quality with non RF but I cant say its that noticeable. from a safety aspect you cant beat them as demonstrated by 5th gear and I know of someone who had a blow out at 90mph with a loaded car and he didn't even realise it until a rear seat passenger told him.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #21
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

I switched from the Bridgestone RE050 runflats within a month of owning my 335d. The Vreds felt miles better. Instead of hard banging when going over bumps it softened a little. I also noticed its softer during cornering, probably due to the tyre sidewall being softer.

BMW (on the E9X series at least) have gone for soft suspension and hard tyres, just to meet emmissions and other criteria, which is irrelevant to people that love driving. It can be fixed by modding but its not cheap!

I should be getting 4 new PSS tyres on soon, which are considered very highly.

For the puncture problem, i just nicked a BMW compresser and fluid from a loan car. I've never, touchwood, had a sidewall puncture, always been able to pump it up roadside and monitor via idrive. Remember you can't drive with sidewall punctures on a run flat as far as i'm aware.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #22
Music XD
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

I've just swapped the run flats to Pilot Super Sports all round and the ride is considerably better - softer but still firm around corners, and it doesn't feel like they are trying to pull me off of the road like the run flats did!
Appreciate 0