E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > TVandNav2Go Install w/iPhone 5: CCC Display "Dimmed"?

06-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
SCMalum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

TVandNav2Go Install w/iPhone 5: CCC Display "Dimmed"?

Hey guys,

I spent the past two days getting my TVandNav2Go setup. I'm doing a iphone5 interface, where its just a lightning cable and it routes the audio + video through magic (lightning to hdmi, hdmi to RCA) to the TVandNav2Go box.

I did an initial test of the gear (without tapping the CAN wires) and it all worked wonderfully. Mirroring the iphone 5 display through one cable? Very cool!

Then I pulled it apart again, tapped the CAN wires, unplugged the various components (LVDS from CCC, IR, CAN wire taps, power, LVDS out cable and grounding cable). I then tucked it all behind the glove box.

When I put it back together and turned it all on, the CCC display looks very dim or like the contrast is messed up. Sometimes the screen is just black. Turning the car on and off doesn't help, neither does doing the 2 eject button + volume button reset.

After closer inspection, it looks like when I was removing the CCC LVDS cable, I damaged the connector (some visual damage - looks like the plastic was brittle and cracked around one of the insertion points). I tested this by removing the CCC LVDS cable from the TVandNav2Go box and routing it directly to the CCC display, and the image is still the same. I believe this is the issue, so I've already ordered a replacement from eBay.

My concerns are,
1) Is the LVDS cable damage the true cause? Couldn't find much online about this.
1) Could tapping the CAN wires potentially be the issue? I took the wire taps out, same display issue - so I don't think this is it.
3) Did I damage the actual CCC display itself? The display doesn't exhibit any of the common LCD screen spiderwebbing/bands of damage. I dont think this is it, but worth asking the forum for input.

Thanks guys, hopefully someone can share some insight.
      06-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
SCMalum
Private First Class
Rep

So, I've tested with a new LVDS and CCC display. Problem still persists. I've checked fuses, and they're good still.

This leaves the 4 wire harness from (power, ground, can hi, can low) or the CCC unit itself. Does anyone have any idea what this problem could be?!
      06-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
SCMalum
Private First Class
Rep

Also, this is what the display looks like...