E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > different woofers under each front seat?

06-04-2014, 12:42 AM   #1
coloradoe92m3
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

different woofers under each front seat?

I have been playing around with my M3 Dirac system and finally added a sub and sws 8 inch . I have only installed the passenger side and driver side is the OEM woofer being fed about 150 watts (same as OEM). It actually sounds great and I won't know until I install both if this would give a nice compromise to make up for the lost midbass of the sws woofers? I honestly can't localize the bass at all even though they are different locations.

This woykdnt cut it for a bass head but for someone wanting the quality SQ with nice rich mid bass without the mid bass having to play low levels that than sound like crap.

Maybe installing both sws woofers skill sound better but this potentially could be a cheap upgrade on a logic 7 car where simply replacing one woofer with uses would get you full range down to sub bass without compromising mid bass?

Seems like its always a compromise otherwise. Either mid bass than does sub bass OK or vice versa but having one of each seems sensible as long as thou don't need crazy bass
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
coloradoe92m3
Banned
Rep

Or perhaps even better would be 1 jehnert and 1 sws especially since I believe jehnert has built in subsonic filter at 80 so it would let sws cover below 80 and really shine above 80?

This is for someone who wants to minimize weight so no trunk sub wanted.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

interesting keep us posted on this... i had this idea too once, but was talked out of it, but never gave up on it having potential.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I don't think it's a good idea because all your midbass is coming from one side of the car. The best thing to do is to replace the underseats with a midbass driver and get a real sub.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
coloradoe92m3
Banned
Rep

Well obviously a full setup is better but as I said in my post there are tons of reasons many don't want a 60 pound anchor in the trunk PR whatever the case..

Also I've already tried it and you can't tell where the bass and mid bass are coming from. The OEM woofer only plays up to 200hz which is well below what frequency a human ear can localize sound.

Again I'm not arguing this is better sound quality than a full sub, but given the fact you can't localize frequencies of the bass and mid bass, many people have only one sub in a car anyway and often is on only one side of the trunk, this is potentially as easy for logic 7 people as simply changing out just one speaker to a 2 ohm sws run by OEM amp which will be less strain on amp than replacing both with 2 ohm loads or you could get external amp like I'm doing and run one of each with more power, you save 50-80 pounds depending on what equipment one uses for a full system and cost is much cheaper.

I'll try it for a week than swap to both sws then will let you know my thoughts but given we have our woofers right up front under seats, a single sub and single mid bass , people. Who want just people that want strong base without being overly loud, this makes a lit of sense to me. Nothing wrong with trying I guess!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

You can tell where the midbass is coming from, or at least I can. If it sounds good to you that's all that matters.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

Jehnert has no filter at all on it. I don't know where you got that from.
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0