F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > GT vs. X4
Studio RSR

05-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW; 2017 M-B SL450

GT vs. X4

Ok, the pics are out there, the specs are available, I suppose it's time to discuss the elephant in the room (besides, this forum is too quiet!). The X4 is going to be compared to the GT (fair or not), so I pose the following questions to our little group:

1. What do you think of the X4's style, it's dimensions?
2. Do you think it's fair to compare it to the GT?
3. For those who have just recently purchased their GT, do you wish you had waited to the X4?

I'm sure there are other questions that could be discussed, but I'll leave it with these. I'm sure you all will come up with other points to discuss.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbridge
Ok, the pics are out there, the specs are available, I suppose it's time to discuss the elephant in the room (besides, this forum is too quiet!). The X4 is going to be compared to the GT (fair or not), so I pose the following questions to our little group:

3. For those who have just recently purchased their GT, do you wish you had waited to the X4?

I'm sure there are other questions that could be discussed, but I'll leave it with these. I'm sure you all will come up with other points to discuss.
Elephant indeed. At least 200lb heavier than the heaviest F34. Less rear seat leg and headroom

Pointless IMO.
      05-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #3
mattu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3, 14 335GT, 21 X5 45e

1. Never liked the X6, and the X4 isn't really any better. It's far worse than the 3GT. The 3GT rides too high for my taste as it sits...the X4 is legitimate SUV ride-height without the practical interior space the F34 has. I'd rather have a X3 and I don't really like those either.

2. I don't know who the target market for X4 is so I guess it's a fair comparison to about anything but coupes and sporty sedans. It's like they reduced the 3GT wheel-base, found some places to stuff extra weight, and then gave it a truck lift. At least with the GT they made the interior roomier than the F30 and F31.

3. Absolutely not. I'm a little upset for not waiting on the 4 Gran Coupe, but it doesn't have space of the F34. The X4 offers nothing I'm interested in...Seriously, I'm not sure I would take one if someone tried to give it to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW; 2017 M-B SL450

It occurred to me later that my question could just as easily been posted on the 5GT board (or X6). Just what niches does BMW think they're covering, or creating? Perhaps it's just marketing. After all, many Americans will buy just about anything so long as it's called an "SUV". And although the 3GT/X4 and the 5GT/X6 are very similar, those looking for a SUV will probably not cross shop.

I do not like SUVs. In fact, sometimes I feel as though I abandoned my principles purchasing the GT. But the GT fulfilled a need as a replacement vehicle and was a compromise with my partner (after all, life is full of compromises, isn't it?).

Comparing the X4 to the GT, the GT comes out ahead in almost every way. The GT is longer and sleeker, whereas the X4 seems short and chubby. The GT comes standard with a panoramic sunroof and active spoiler (the latter helps to make the GT less heavy looking in the rear). The GT has more rear legroom and cargo space (even the wagon has more cargo space than the X4!). Although this is subjective, I do like the front much better on the GT, I don't like how the fog lamps are integrated on the X4.

Anyway, just my two cents. It will be interesting to see the sales figures for the two in the next couple of years.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
BrasWien
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive GT Modern Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbridge View Post
1. The X4 looks like a modern SUV. Its lines are newer if compared with those of X3 or X5. Maybe the X4 offers an opportunity for those who like the shapes of the X6 but cannot afford paying so much.

2. It is difficult to compare the 3 GT with any other car. Many magazines have compared the GT with the 3 Series saloon, which I think is a mistake. For the purists, fans of the saloon, the GT will obviously seem akward, heavier and slower. For the mortals who don't drive in close circuits and do not make 0-100 (or 0-60) everyday, it might just suit their needs of space, comfort and performance.

If you compare the X4 with the GT, the latter will offer more space and the extras our friends mentioned above, but the GT offers less "SUV style" (robustness, height etc.). Maybe that's the greatest difference between the X4 and the GT. It's therefore a matter of taste. My wife, for instance, will love driving in a higher position, opposite to what would expect most BMW fans.

3. If the X4 were available last year, I would have considered taking a look and maybe a test-drive. But it wouldn't fit my low garage anyway. I wish I had seen the 4 Series Gran Coupe before, but at that time only the 4 Coupe was available, and I tought that a 2-door car would not be so practical (my wife complained also that the driving position in the 4 coup was too low...).

-00-

I think that the strategy of BMW is to cover all market niches. The old conception of BMW offering sporty, high perfomance V6 saloon cars was replaced by low fuel consumption, downsized engines, highly technological driving assists, funcionality and aesthetics. You can find anything from diesel to hybrid to pure electric, from 2 to 4 wheels. Anything from a compact, to SUV, to small SUV (X2), to saloon, cabrio, sports etc. etc... This will scare the purists, but can make sales grow much more.

Maybe BMW has discovered that most consumers (who actually pay well) are not geeks in forums like this, discussing about launch control, painted grills, 20" wheels and many other mods. They are the ordinary guy, who visits a BMW store, takes a look and has to convince his family that the car A or B will suit his desires and their needs.

Maybe BMW wants to sell also to those that do not read user manuals, that cannot tell the difference between SPORT and SPORT+, but have the money and the insterest to buy something that is beautiful (subjective) and useful. My wife, that buys cars together with me, had never touched the paddle shifters of our GT. When I told her to try, she blinked the high beam and told me: "nothing happens!!!"...

I suppose the proliferation of models is a market strategy and it is likely to be successful if BMW manage to control the costs of producing so many different machines and making profit by selling more in every possible niche.

In my opinion, Porsche made something similar when it abandoned the 911 as the reference model and started making Cayennes and Panameras. These models were highly criticized by a few purists and specialized magazine reporters but bought by many, many family drivers.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #6
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Agree with BrasWien and his comments above. GT and X4 are great cars, my suggestion is to go test them and see which one works best for your needs.
Appreciate 0