Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #1
ncM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 MZ4

BMW S55 v Coyote 5.0

This may be a stupid question and I haven't compared dynos, but...
I'm driving an Mustang 5.0 6MT (vert). Coming from 11 years of MZ3 and MZ4, the Mustang isn't exactly my thing but I'd drop that motor in anything (Mangusta rebirth!). When I recently test drove an E90 M3 and a 991 I was underwhelmed by their motors. The 5.0 appears to have nearly the same performance (hp, torque, mpg, engine weight) as the S55.

If Ford can build a V8 like that (and cheaply), why would BMW need to make the TT compromises on sound, throttle response, and complexity? Is it an emissions compliance thing, where Ford can offset their V8's somewhat lower mpg with a lot of Fiestas? Is it so that BMW can easily tweak it up to 550hp if necessary to match the competition?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #2
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

you need to wait until the engine is put on a dyno.

the performance this engine is achieving in this car is incredible so far, and the straight line speed is massive.

turbo motors have a huge advantage in average power over the entire powerband, and that's something the s55 has in spades. the f8x m3 is much faster than the e90 which is almost identical in speed to a 5.0 mustang coupe

people need to calm down with the hysterics (good and bad) and wait to drive the car and experience the car and engine. every single car I have ever driven has been different than I expected in some way, so its best to save the strong opinions until you drive the car
      05-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

its not about what they could do. its about what they have to do. they have to meet different European laws. the overall good is to lower engine size and also lower emissions with better MPG.

its quote simple, if you dont like this type of engine setup. grab a corvette with a beastly V8!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

These might interest you:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=921724
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=670370
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncM View Post
This may be a stupid question and I haven't compared dynos, but...
I'm driving an Mustang 5.0 6MT (vert). Coming from 11 years of MZ3 and MZ4, the Mustang isn't exactly my thing but I'd drop that motor in anything (Mangusta rebirth!). When I recently test drove an E90 M3 and a 991 I was underwhelmed by their motors. The 5.0 appears to have nearly the same performance (hp, torque, mpg, engine weight) as the S55.

If Ford can build a V8 like that (and cheaply), why would BMW need to make the TT compromises on sound, throttle response, and complexity? Is it an emissions compliance thing, where Ford can offset their V8's somewhat lower mpg with a lot of Fiestas? Is it so that BMW can easily tweak it up to 550hp if necessary to match the competition?
Taxes and insurance in europe are decided by engine displacement as opposed to the U.S. where it is overall efficiency and price of the car.
Appreciate 0