E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > tweeter cable run

05-14-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
tweeter cable run

At some point I plan to run cables for the tweeters so that I can go fully active. It occurred to me that running cables to the A-pillars might be easier than running them to the door. I have read posts where folks (e.g., Ken) have done cable runs for the tweeter. Anyone run cable to the a-pillars and installed tweeters there? I'm wondering if that is an easier option.

For those that have run cable to the doors or the a-pillars, pictures and guidance would be appreciated.
      05-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
tdgesq
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I have. I think the only way to get the wiring to the a-pillar is by running it through the door. The door boot into the cabin is the only access point of which I know.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaimpally View Post
At some point I plan to run cables for the tweeters so that I can go fully active. It occurred to me that running cables to the A-pillars might be easier than running them to the door. I have read posts where folks (e.g., Ken) have done cable runs for the tweeter. Anyone run cable to the a-pillars and installed tweeters there? I'm wondering if that is an easier option.

For those that have run cable to the doors or the a-pillars, pictures and guidance would be appreciated.
That is actually a good idea. Just remember there is an airbag behind the A pillar.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

From what I have seen running the wires into the doors is not that difficult. I will be doing this in the next few weeks. The A-pillars I believe are not as good a location for tweeters as the sails are. The main reason would be increased reflections by the windshield. The other disadvantage would be a slightly narrower stage. Furthermore, cutting holes in the A-pillars and having the tweeters in plain sight is not for everybody. But if you're still gonna do it, I'd suggest aiming them slightly into the cabin.
      05-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
From what I have seen running the wires into the doors is not that difficult. I will be doing this in the next few weeks. The A-pillars I believe are not as good a location for tweeters as the sails are. The main reason would be increased reflections by the windshield. The other disadvantage would be a slightly narrower stage. Furthermore, cutting holes in the A-pillars and having the tweeters in plain sight is not for everybody. But if you're still gonna do it, I'd suggest aiming them slightly into the cabin.
I was going to say it depends on the angle you mount them at. I do agree it is most likely less work to use the factory tweeter pods than to make custom tweeter pods.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Let us know how that goes Kai. It seems like it definitely CAN be done, but that people's experiences vary. Some get caught up in threading it through the boot. But some have managed to do it without drilling holes, and lubricating the wire with soap seemed to help. But that tells how tight the junction can be. There is definitely some variance with user skill, with shops and installers having an easier time in general, but there is also some variability with the cars as well. When I did my E36, I followed BSW's guide, but it wasn't exactly as they documented. It's definitely helpful to get more members experiences, and the pitfalls, glitches, etc they had.

I'm debating trying this myself, to go active, or accept the limits of a passive X-over.

Also, if anyone knows of a detailed DIY for running the cable from the trunk to the door (what screws to remove for trim pieces, where/how to pull up carpet, etc) could you let us know? I searched, and didn't really come up with anything detailed.

IMO part of all this is knowing when to wallop something with a hammer vs gently tapping it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
The A-pillars I believe are not as good a location for tweeters as the sails are. The main reason would be increased reflections by the windshield. The other disadvantage would be a slightly narrower stage. Furthermore, cutting holes in the A-pillars and having the tweeters in plain sight is not for everybody.
Hey Kai, thanks for your comments. My experience is that every car is different and only by experimenting can you find out what drivers and locations work. In my Mazdaspeed 3, I had the tweeters in the sail panels and they sounded great. However, several very experienced folks (such as Don - Buzzman on DIYMA) kept telling me that they would sound better in the a-pillars so I tried them and found the stage narrowed etc. ... in that car.

However, I heard other cars with tweeters in the a-pillars and they can sound great. I have seen some setups where the tweeter and mid are mounted in the a-pillars like a mini monitor. Jorge (Doitor on DIYMA) had such a setup in his CX7. I heard it at a Dallas meet and it sounded great - broad soundstage.

You can use the windshield to your advantage. I heard Erik Hansen's car (SoundJunkie on DIYMA) at a Houston meet and he was using Scanspeak AirCircs aimed slightly towards the windshield. He won IASCA (or USACI) state championship and competed nationally. The soundstage was very broad. He said he got the idea of aiming the tweeters towards the windshield from Steve Head of AudioNutz. There was also someone who was a highly respected competitor discuss his setup on DIYMA and he too described aiming the tweeters at the windshield.

I have also seen and heard setups where the tweeters were placed under the dash (in stock locations, such as in early Scion XBs or Dodge Charger/Magnum) and aimed up at the windshield. I have heard several setups by Glenn (GLN305 on DIYMA) where he did this and you can get a very nice soundstage.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ocal-flax.html

In terms of aesthetics, perhaps you should check some of the build logs on DIYMA. It is possible to mount drivers in the a-pillars without it looking ratty. Bing at Simplicity in Sound does nice work and that has inspired others.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...e-sq-cars.html

Also, you can create simple tweeter pods using PVC endcaps. For example: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...eter-pods.html

I agree that cutting holes in a-pillars is not for everyone. But it can be made to look pleasing - just check the DIYMA build logs.

Last edited by snaimpally; 05-14-2014 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=module - see post #17 ("Would you like me to take pics of how to do it and post them?"). Yes! Ken, PLEASE help us out and post a DIY!!!!

This thread has some pics: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=module

Last edited by snaimpally; 05-14-2014 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:16 PM   #9
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Look in my old build thread (its in the sticky). I did it with zero know how. Toughest part really is finding the wire run inside the car (inboard of the boot) as you have to do it by feel behind some foam on passenger side and may need to temp move your FRM on the driver's side.

Its easy. Just takes time
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Look in my old build thread (its in the sticky). I did it with zero know how. Toughest part really is finding the wire run inside the car (inboard of the boot) as you have to do it by feel behind some foam on passenger side and may need to temp move your FRM on the driver's side.

Its easy. Just takes time
Great - found it - thanks. For others, here it is:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541705