Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

M3/M4 vs M5/M6

Probably easier to move the other thread here, since it has turned in a 'vs' thread.

But it appears the M3/4 will be, in all practical speeds, faster or just as fast in a straight line, and faster around Nurburgring.

Discuss.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Let's count some ways...

- You'll never have a cooled and a massaged butt while driving around a racetrack in an M3/M4.

- The trunk lid on the M3/M4 will always have fingerprints on it without a Power Close Trunk like on the M5.

- The M3/M4 will always have better lap times than an M5, not so sure about an M6.

- You'll never get to enjoy the clarity of listening to Kelly Clarkson's voice without the Bang & Olufsen on the racetrack in the M3/M4.

- No Competition Package for M3/M4 in over a year from now.

- You'll always feel a little cheated when you go to close the door on the M3/M4 without Soft Close Doors.

- Your passengers in the back of the M3/M4 will always be bored out of their minds without their own temperature controls or Rear Seat Entertainment Screens.

- You'll constantly be hitting deer and bears at night on dark forest roads without Night Vision in the M3/M4.

- You'll hate yourself every time you get in the M3/M4 and see no Alcantara headliner in the cabin.

- The only lowering springs to come to market for the M3/M4 in the first 6 months will be the H&R's and are crap springs.

- The Nurburgring time for the 2012 stock M5 is 7:55. With Comp Pack on the M5 it's 7:45. The M6 without Comp Pack is faster than 7:45 and with Comp Pack is even faster. If a stock M3/M4 is faster than 7:25 around the Nurburgring, I'll be impressed, but I highly doubt that.

- The M3/M4 will be infinitely more fun and better balanced and more rigid on the race track.

- With CCB's the M3/M4 will have much better stopping distances than the M5/M6.

- The M3/M4 will never be anything close to as sexy as the M6 Gran Coupe.

- There will be no M4 Gran Coupe.

- Stock M5's/M6's can beat 2013 GTR's in a rolling race. M4's will still get beat by GTR's in all racing regimes.

- With a simple piggyback the M4 should be able to reach 500hp to the crank no problem. The M5/M6 with a simple piggyback reaches 700hp to the crank no problem.

- The cats will be harder to remove in the downpipes on the M3/M4 versus the simplicity of removing the cats on the M5/M6.

- The M2 will be lighter than M4 and will give M4 owners a run for their money on the track.

- The M2 will be cheaper than the M4 but with only 375hp from the factory.

- The next generation M5 is only 4-5 years away and should be under 4,000lbs with possibly an AWD option, while the M3/M4 will still be 3,500lbs and with RWD for the next 7-8 years.

- The M3/M4 has their side turn signals in the side view mirrors which is lame, while the M5/M6 still have their side turn signals integrated with the side grill which is awesome.

- The iDrive screen in the M5/M6 is bigger.

- The M3/M4 comes with an infinitely better 6 Speed Manual Transmission than the M5/M6.

That's all for now.

Last edited by RPiM5; 05-13-2014 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 5
      05-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Just lol
      05-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

next m5 under 4000lbs?! youre kidding right?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
next m5 under 4000lbs?! youre kidding right?
Nope not kidding.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=983631

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-6-test-review

The CTS-V Sport is under 4,000lbs and is very close to the size of the 5-Series chassis and has no Carbon Fiber in it. It's stopping distance in only 98ft which is better than even a 3,700lbs Audi R8. It's absolutely possible with the next M5 to be under 4,000lbs. The next generation CTS-V will out soon and will be under 4,000lbs with the new Vette Z06 Supercharged Engine, which also forces BMW's hand to compete against it with the next M5.

Last edited by RPiM5; 05-13-2014 at 09:11 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

The M3/M4 will not be faster. TTV8>IN6
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Nope not kidding.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=983631

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-6-test-review

The CTS-V Sport is under 4,000lbs and is very close to the size of the 5-Series chassis and has no Carbon Fiber in it. It's stopping distance in only 98ft which is better than even a 3,700lbs Audi R8. It's absolutely possible with the next M5 to be under 4,000lbs. The next generation CTS-V will out soon and will be under 4,000lbs with the new Vette Z06 Supercharged Engine, which also forces BMW's hand to compete against it with the next M5.

well lets hope that the doors do not feel absolutely cheap when closing them now. even moving from e90 to f30, the door feels absolutely light as heck. i prefer the heavy thump of my e90 and i think you will prefer your heavy thump and soft closing of your f10. i'm calling it now.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
well lets hope that the doors do not feel absolutely cheap when closing them now. even moving from e90 to f30, the door feels absolutely light as heck. i prefer the heavy thump of my e90 and i think you will prefer your heavy thump and soft closing of your f10. i'm calling it now.
I actually had trouble closing the doors on both the M3 and M4 at the Washington DC and Philadelphia Autoshows. Lol! It's funny too, but I opened and close the door to my friends E60 M5 the other day and they felt really heavy compared to the F10 M5's. Lol!

I have a feeling they are going to make all the doors and trunk on the next M5 out of Carbon Fiber. Hey a guy can dream right?

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 09:45 AM   #9
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I actually had trouble closing the doors on both the M3 and M4 at the Washington DC and Philadelphia Autoshows. Lol! It's funny too, but I opened and close the door to my friends E60 M5 the other day and they felt really heavy compared to the F10 M5's. Lol!

I have a feeling they are going to make all the doors and trunk on the next M5 out of Carbon Fiber. Hey a guy can dream right?
when i was in an f30 for a short while the car felt light on its feet and agile due to the weight. but closing the door felt like closing the door of all of my previous japanese cars….getting in the e90m felt like being in a sturdy german car.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Let's count some ways...

- You'll never have a cooled and a massaged butt while driving around a racetrack in an M3/M4.

- The trunk lid on the M3/M4 will always have fingerprints on it without a Power Close Trunk like on the M5.

- The M3/M4 will always have better lap times than an M5, not so sure about an M6.

- You'll never get to enjoy the clarity of listening to Kelly Clarkson's voice without the Bang & Olufsen on the racetrack in the M3/M4.

- You'll always feel a little cheated when you go to close the door on the M3/M4 without Soft Close Doors.

- Your passengers in the back of the M3/M4 will always be bored out of their minds without their own temperature controls or Rear Seat Entertainment Screens.

- You'll constantly be hitting deer and bears at night on dark forest roads without Night Vision in the M3/M4.

- You'll hate yourself every time you get in the M3/M4 and see no Alcantara headliner in the cabin.

- The only lowering springs to come to market for the M3/M4 in the first 6 months will be the H&R's and are crap springs.

- The Nurburgring time for the 2012 stock M5 is 7:55. With Comp Pack on the M5 it's 7:45. The M6 without Comp Pack is faster than 7:45 and with Comp Pack is even faster. If a stock M3/M4 is faster than 7:25 around the Nurburgring, I'll be impressed, but I highly doubt that.

- The M3/M4 will be infinitely more fun and better balanced and more rigid on the race track.

- Stock M5's/M6's can beat 2013 GTR's in a rolling race. M4's will still get beat by GTR's in all racing regimes.

- With a simple piggyback the M4 should be able to reach 500hp to the crank no problem. The M5/M6 with a simple piggyback reaches 700hp to the crank no problem.

- The cats will be harder to remove in the downpipes on the M3/M4 versus the simplicity of removing the cats on the M5/M6.

- The M2 will be lighter than M4 and will give M4 owners a run for their money on the track.

- The next generation M5 is only 4-5 years away and should be under 4,000lbs with possibly an AWD option, while the M3/M4 will still be 3,500lbs and with RWD for the next 7-8 years.

- The M3/M4 has their side turn signals in the side view mirrors which is lame, while the M5/M6 still have their side turn signals integrated with the side grill which is awesome.

- The M3/M4 comes with an infinitely better 6 Speed Manual Transmission than the M5/M6.

That's all for now.
Nice list! To varying degrees, I'd say I have to agree with you on nearly every point.

Just as a side note though, while I fully agree the M3/4's stopping distances will be shorter than the M5/6, I don't understand how the stopping distance will be any different between CCBs and regular brakes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the stopping distances should be absolutely identical, with the CCBs having significantly greater resistance to fade. If you want shorter stopping distance, you need to lose weight or put more rubber on those tires. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

05-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #12
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Had to wait to get to work to respond to this since you can't really play with quotes on the app...i guess its just different strokes for different folks. I personally want both cars, M5 for bruising the hwy everyday on the streets (ocassional track day as is at somewhere like autoclub speedway just so I can unleash on the straight aways ) and M4 for a car i can drive better as a daily (I like smaller cars although the 3/4 has become pretty large as well - maybe an M2 in the future for me?) and something i can mod and take to the track on the weekends and still have everyday functionality (thats the best part).

Quote:
Let's count some ways...

I need to feel what the car is doing on my butt...if I want a butt massage I'll go to one with a happy ending...

All cars have a groove on the inside of the trunk where you use that to close it. If you put fingerprints on it, regardless if it has autoclose, you're doing it wrong. Besides, thats for SUVs

Don't know how much different an M6 would be to an M5 and in general the M3/4 will have better lap times unless you are dealing with a track with plenty of space to stretch its legs....eg. Nordschliefe, M5/6 is damn near hitting 200mph on those long stretches of road!

who the heck is Kelly Clarkson?
I'd rather listen to the V8 screaming of the e9x/e60 M cars...sadly turdbos have ruined the engine noise.

some dude in his e92M has a DIY posted on soft close doors so its doable.

this one time, i took coworkers out to lunch, she was holding onto the front seat and looking through the middle...i punched it, she almost strained her neck. we all laughed (well she was mad)....fun for all of us!

dont have anything on this one, ive nearly hit deer and coyotes on Mulholland HWY at night.

go to Joannes and buy some, glue it on. LOL

I prefer KW CS...springs are meh.

Is this BTG or full lap times because I think I've seen the time listed as BTG, and not on others. There are m3post members who run 7:30's BTG with just tires and suspension. pretty damn good no for that much less power?!

The M6 GC looks kind of strange..the coupe is much sexier!!

The 4GC looks like a damn hatchback and is just gross.

I gave that up along with Super Street, Hot Import Nights, Import Tuner, and don't forget Fast and Furious.

That is a lot of horsepower, thats why i need one to bruise the hwy!

If you are going to build a turdbo setup do dp, cams, giant intercoolers, uicp, licp, ext wastegates, boost controller, dual fuel pump setups, etc. nothing wrong with sounding like a 787 jet on take off though!

I don't want my future M5 to be an audi

That's all for now.
you rolled your eyes.....but you know you meant it all!

for me, this is why i love all the M cars in the bmw lineup...some are nimble and quick, others are rocket ships....and they all have utility as well....i always say i want a pcar and then i just drool over the new M cars. for the cost and functionality I don't think i'll ever get a porsche until I am able to buy a GT3 strictly for track days and have all my other M cars in the garage. i don't know, thats just me.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #13
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

You shoulda seen the shit when the F10 M5 first came out between the E60 M5 guys and new F10 M5 guys. Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
You shoulda seen the shit when the F10 M5 first came out between the E60 M5 guys and new F10 M5 guys. Lol!
Same with E46 v E9x. Just never gets old. Does seem like the a few in the M5/6 crowd are a tad defensive about claims people are making about the F8x's performance (UAE's VBOX thread.)
      05-13-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Let's count some ways...

That's all for now.
Looks like you are so proud of that trunk lid and mentioned somewhere else for "real men"
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #16
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

M3/M4 is a sport track car can be driven in street. M5/M6 is luxury-sport street car can be driven in track (IMO). both are fast and fun to drive (I have not driven F80/F82 yet but it should be something about E90/E92 more or less)
based on what I saw member "UAE" posted about 0-60,100,..., I believe M5/M6 can beat M3/M4 easily in straight line even 0-60. The guy from Motor Trend showed how M5 can reach 60mph in 3.7 second. I got the same result with my M6 (bone stock and no CP), but again the comparison between M3/M4 and M5/M6 is not about straight line since the Power/Weight ratio of M5/M6 is higher than M3/M4 while both car have the same drivetrain. What I'm saying is that each of them is designed and built for specific reason and that's why I love M cars.

Edit: to whom claim M3/M4 is faster than M5/M6 in 0-60:

This is M4

and this is M5

and you know M6 is a bit faster
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8

Last edited by M6-Coupe; 05-14-2014 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #17
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Lol! Most of the stuff I posted I was just being silly. I never take anything to seriously. But yeah, that power close trunk adds weight but sure is useful. Lol! Especially how I can kick the air underneath the rear bumper and people look at me all strange.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #18
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Same with E46 v E9x. Just never gets old. Does seem like the a few in the M5/6 crowd are a tad defensive about claims people are making about the F8x's performance (UAE's VBOX thread.)
Just a tad
      05-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #19
991brothers
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

Quote:

2022 BMW M5 Competition - 2016 GT3 RS UltraViolet -2018 GT3 Chalk - 2016 GT3 Lava - 2015 GT3 Guards Red - 2018 Audi RS7 - 2016 F80 M3 - 2015 GT3 Black - 2015 GT3 Carrara White - 2016 991.1 GTS - 2012 997.2 GTS Cabriolet - 2011 E92 M3 - 2006 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #20
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
Lol! Most of the stuff I posted I was just being silly. I never take anything to seriously. But yeah, that power close trunk adds weight but sure is useful. Lol! Especially how I can kick the air underneath the rear bumper and people look at me all strange.
do you take it seriously when you end up kicking the bumper instead
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 03:20 AM   #21
Maddict3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
The M3/M4 will not be faster. TTV8>IN6
wont be faster where?

Should be faster on a track. Dont think it can keep up on a straight.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #22
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict3 View Post
wont be faster where?

Should be faster on a track. Dont think it can keep up on a straight.
Of course it will be faster to 60.. Even BMW claims this is true. The official M5 numbers were conservative, so why do people believe the M3/4 official numbers, already better than the M5, also aren't conservative ? And comparison of an instrumented "best of all magazines" M5 0-60 run is hardly on par with us trying to time a (new engine) 0-60 time driven by a regular person using vbox (UAE guy) or trying to time off of a youtube video.

Just ridiculous. Just accept the fact that the M3/4 is probably just as fast to 60, and wait for the optimum times to come out from the magazine articles, or Gustav to post his drag race videos.
Appreciate 0