F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Msport bumper, golf tee mod voided warranty??!!
Studio RSR

05-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
fherjohn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3 e93

Msport bumper, golf tee mod voided warranty??!!

Before I get into details I would like to give you guys an idea of all the work I have done to my f30 that I purchased from the dealership last December. I have an msport front bumper and kw v2 coilovers both installed by LTMW. I also did the golf tee mod where you unplug the wire by the exhaust to keep it wide open at all times so it's louder. All these mods have been on for at least 2 months.

Fast forward to last Monday. I took my car to a local Carwash. They usually don't drive my car through the car wash tunnel since it is lowered but that day they decide to drive it through. I got my car back after they finished up and almost lost it. They had cracked my front bumper, my outside temperature was reading - 40 and my ac wouldn't get cold. I also got my check engine light on. The car wash hooked up the obd2 to see what errors I was getting and It said "ambient temperature sensor".

Carwash agreed that they caused the damage and offered to fix it through their body shop. The body shop started he repairs and informed me that the ambient temperature sensor was damaged since it is located by the bumper where the damage was done by the Carwash. The body shop replaced the sensor and fixed my bumper so I figured my car was good as new. Temperature was reading correctly, ac was working like it should and check engine light went away.

I was wrong and got a new error this time. I was getting "excessive battery discharge" error now. Everything seemed fine but that error. I took the car to the dealership to have them try to figure out what was going on with my car and hopefully get it fixed under warranty.

Now back to my mods.. Since I have those following mods the dealership said they have to run a couple diagnostics but since my car is "excessively modified" I have to pay for the diagnostics. Keep in mind I didn't mention anything about the bumper being repaired recently because I don't want them voiding my warranty for sure.

What's the best thing to do on my part? I already signed the release form from the body shop when I took delivery of my car so they are saying they are done with the repair and won't reimburse me for any additional work being performed on my car, dealership most likely won't fix it for free since I am modified which leaves me to pay for everything out of pocket. Should I just pay for everything and take the car wash to small claims or the easier way and try to get the dealership to perform this as warranty work? I was always under the impression that you can mod whatever you want and as long as the mods aren't related to problems having with the car then it won't void the warranty. In my case my mods aren't anything electrical related. Sorry for the long post but hopefully someone here can chime in. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #2
Safety2213
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i Manual M-Sport

Take it to another dealer and don't mention a thing. I have found that some dealers are more stringent than others.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP
Take it to another dealer and don't mention a thing. I have found that some dealers are more stringent than others.
This
Appreciate 0