Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
filip75
Facetious
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M4

M4 vs Cayman S

I recently test drove Cayman S and I wanted to cancel the M4 order and buy it on the spot. The only thing that held me back was that I haven't driven the M4 yet, so I can't make apples to apples comparison.
      05-05-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
EMpunker
M3 Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daily Driver

The Cayman's do drive very very nicely.

Wait until you can drive the M4 to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

I have the 2013 Cayman S. If the M4 handles anything close, you got it made!

Last edited by bimmerj; 05-06-2014 at 04:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #4
Robertyu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT-R

I traded from an E92 M3 to a 981 Cayman S, and I don't think the new M3 is going to handle as well, because I think nothing feels that good on a subjective handling level. It's that good.

However, it's too close to the M3 hitting dealerships, so I'd wait so you can at least drive it. If it handles much better than the E9* series, and goes like hell, it might be too compelling to pass up. I was specifically looking to get into a mid-engined sport car, but if you are not seeking a particular drivetrain configuration, it'd be best to see what the M3 feels and goes like before choosing something else. I at least waited to see what the C7 Corvette looked like before I jumped to the Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by filip75 View Post
I recently test drove Cayman S and I wanted to cancel the M4 order and buy it on the spot. The only thing that held me back was that I haven't driven the M4 yet, so I can't make apples to apples comparison.
Considering my last car was a Boxster S I would say to you that there is no right or wrong answer to your dilemma. They are both great cars and both will put a smile on your face. The only down side is the limit on the Cayman as a two seater where as with the M4 you can easily fit 4 adults/kids. This was an issue for me with entertaining clients so the Porsche did not last very long but wow that car was sweet!
      05-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
filip75
Facetious
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
Considering my last car was a Boxster S I would say to you that there is no right or wrong answer to your dilemma. They are both great cars and both will put a smile on your face. The only down side is the limit on the Cayman as a two seater where as with the M4 you can easily fit 4 adults/kids. This was an issue for me with entertaining clients so the Porsche did not last very long but wow that car was sweet!
Kids and the rear seat are not a problem. The rear seat in both the CLK and CI were used maybe a handful of times, and most cases were just there to collect trash, jackets, dust etc.
      05-13-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

pretty funny review

was that thunder?!

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
Milban
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 ordered

Several times, I've heard the quote, "it's that good", once from Chris Harris. If not for the endless waiting, I'd be driving an M4. "Today", I'm putting practicalities aside and ordering a Cayman GTS. The quarter panels and the whole rear of the car have no equal.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #9
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Bringing back an old thread.

I have been in the process of planning a September Euro delivery of an m3 or m235 for a while now. Just finally got a chance to drive a 6 spd m4. I liked it a lot. Afterwards went to the Porsche dealership to finally try out the Cayman S. Drove the same amazing very hilly twisty road with both cars.

I kinda wish I hadn't driven the Cayman. That car blew my mind. Seriously got in my head. It felt so much better than the m4. Clutch and transmission were light years better, so much more nimble and planted, it just felt special. I don't think the Cayman is right for me at the moment since I need a daily driver, but that is the car I want.

I'll likely end up in an M3, and be very happy to have such a good car. But that Cayman S will haunt my dreams until I get one in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #10
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

The Cayman is actually a reasonable daily driver, although it's not a good "only car". One solution is simply to get a relatively inexpensive beater in addition to the Cayman.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Motoring Nirvana

Appreciate 1
      03-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #12
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I will day that I have only had 3 Porsche experiences...

1) Cayman w 6 mt
2) 911 turbo 2012
3) Cayenne

1) This was pathetic in every way... the handling was good but everything else about it completely sucked. Brakes were lol, the engine sounded awful and it was super slow.
2) Very Fast... thats all I can say... not sure I would buy this over say an M4 even if I had double the money. Little emotion, just fast.
3) I liked this the most, I think Porsche makes a really solid SUV

As a whole I was never really impressed though...
      03-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

a good friend of mine has a 14 Cayman S, we trade our cars every few month in the summer for a couple of days. Last summer I had my GTR, and traded him for a week.

Cayman S is amazing for what it is. The ultimate daily driver / track duty for a 2 door car. With the sports exhaust, its a fun car to bomb around in, and gets alot more attention than the M3.

M4 beats it in utility and straight line speed, that's about it.

You wont go wrong with either car, they are both awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #14
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP

1) Cayman w 6 mt
2) 911 turbo 2012
3) Cayenne

1) This was pathetic in every way... the handling was good but everything else about it completely sucked. Brakes were lol, the engine sounded awful and it was super slow.
2) Very Fast... thats all I can say... not sure I would buy this over say an M4 even if I had double the money. Little emotion, just fast.

Not sure why but I have a feeling you drove a first gen non-S Cayman!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #15
phantomF80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post

I have been in the process of planning a September Euro delivery of an m3 or m235 for a while now. Just finally got a chance to drive a 6 spd m4. I liked it a lot. Afterwards went to the Porsche dealership to finally try out the Cayman S. Drove the same amazing very hilly twisty road with both cars.

I kinda wish I hadn't driven the Cayman. That car blew my mind. Seriously got in my head. It felt so much better than the m4. Clutch and transmission were light years better, so much more nimble and planted, it just felt special. I don't think the Cayman is right for me at the moment since I need a daily driver, but that is the car I want.

I'll likely end up in an M3, and be very happy to have such a good car. But that Cayman S will haunt my dreams until I get one in my garage.
I had a 987.1 Cayman S before my F80 M3, and I did at one time drive it daily for 3 months straight. It's not a bad daily driver, as long as your commute don't involve roads fill with potholes. Heck, I even used the Cayman to do Costco runs

As far as driving wise, Cayman wins hands down when it comes to the handling and fun factor. I would even said the 987 series is more fun than 981, though 981 is still more fun than F8X. The car definitely cannot compete against F8X in straightline performance nor comfort level, but I think it's a better car at everything else. I really like my F80, but I will jump on the first chance I have to get back into a Cayman!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 02:41 PM   #16
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP

1) Cayman w 6 mt
2) 911 turbo 2012
3) Cayenne

Not sure why but I have a feeling you drove a first gen non-S Cayman!
You may be right, it was was a long time ago but man that car sucked... granted I just got out of a V10 M6.
      03-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #17
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post

1) Cayman w 6 mt
2) 911 turbo 2012
3) Cayenne

Cayman has come a long way since first gen. Indeed non-s boxster or cayman is just plain slow. But s version has enough speed for fun. And it has beautifully balanced chassis and great brakes (performs better than M car id have to say.. Mostly due to weight probably). You cannot replicate the feel of the car rotating around your hips with no understeer, with most other cars out there.
And i think you just trolling if you think flat six howl sounds bad.. No comment there.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #18
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse
Quote:

1) Cayman w 6 mt
2) 911 turbo 2012
3) Cayenne

Cayman has come a long way since first gen. Indeed non-s boxster or cayman is just plain slow. But s version has enough speed for fun. And it has beautifully balanced chassis and great brakes (performs better than M car id have to say.. Mostly due to weight probably). You cannot replicate the feel of the car rotating around your hips with no understeer, with most other cars out there.
And i think you just trolling if you think flat six howl sounds bad.. No comment there.
Personal preference but I think the GT3 even sounds terrible... for sound its all about V8/V10 for me. Some sixes can sound great though... like the GTR for one.
      03-05-2015, 07:33 AM   #19
MDREDev
Banned
Rep
Drives: Gremlin

Quote:
Personal preference but I think the GT3 even sounds terrible... for sound its all about V8/V10 for me. Some sixes can sound great though... like the GTR for one.
Stock for stock, a GTR six sounds piss poor and pales dreadfully when compared to a Porsche flat 6. I've owned them both. A mid pipe and exhaust will make a GTR sound considerably better (I had HKS MP and Legamax exhaust) but purely stock there is no comparison.

You need to go see an audiologist if you think the GT3 sounds terrible.
Appreciate 3
      03-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #20
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDREDev View Post
Stock for stock, a GTR six sounds piss poor and pales dreadfully when compared to a Porsche flat 6. I've owned them both. A mid pipe and exhaust will make a GTR sound considerably better (I had HKS MP and Legamax exhaust) but purely stock there is no comparison.

You need to go see an audiologist if you think the GT3 sounds terrible.
I think it's annoying and that's that... in fact, under certain instances it makes my ears hurt.

Not everyone is a Porsche fanboy... as it seems 95% of BMW owners are for whatever reason... I don't nor have ever seen anything special.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 09:45 AM   #21
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Maybe this will help OP, it's a GTS but I eard there was'nt that much difference with the S, anyhow, it's pretty clear which is the better car!

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #22
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post

I've driven a base Boxster and Cayman S (both 6MT) and really really enjoyed them. I just think they are completely different to the F80/2 though. After driving an M3/4 and M235i back to back, the Cayman S felt even a little slow in city driving.

Tell you what though, inside and out, it beats the BMW's. That is one gorgeous car. The only thing for me is that I'd regret getting a Cayman S when the GT4 is "only" $15k more (assuming you can get your hands on one). That would drive me crazy.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0