Hmm...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Just like any vehicle, how you use it will determine your range in use. If you can pre-condition the vehicle while on line power, you'll go further. IF you always use max acceleration, you'll go less. Carry three passengers, less, driver only more...run the cabin heater and seat heaters, less...use either of the Eco modes, go further. Live in SF Bay area, the hills may be an issue, but on average, may even out some with the regeneration (which is never as efficient as propulsion use).

So, still easily within my normal day-to-day needs, and over twice what BMW found the earlier electric vehicles were using.

FWIW, I think the Leaf's battery pack is 2KwHr bigger (or about 9%, and it gets all of less than 4% more range on the same test indicating the i3 is more efficient with its watt-hours, and the Leaf is nowhere near as much fun to drive.

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 05-04-2014 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

I wonder if BMW will do something similar to Tesla's 'Supercharger' program where their rapid charging stations across the country and up and down the Coasts are free for those that choose the upgrade on the Tesla S. From what I read, free to charge and charges MUCH faster, and they're all along the most traveled routes, letting you take the car on long road trips with no fear of running out of battery, and no fuel or electric costs what-so-ever (but you do pay up front for the upgraded equipment to use the supercharger).

Seems to me, the supercharger idea has to become the norm in order for electric cars to really take over. People are to used to refueling in 5 minutes and being back on the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Something like that may be in the works, but for now, I think it's more to support the vehicles currently either being shipped or soon (the i3 and i8). The i8 already has the capability to go pretty much anywhere you can buy gasoline, and that's nearly anywhere. The i3 is not designed for long distances, and trying to support it in that mode doesn't make sense to me. Supporting it by expanding charging stations at places the i3 is likely to be used - shopping malls, hospitals, parking garages, sit-down restaurants, where that vehicle is likely to be driven to, and sit for awhile, means L2 equipment is both much more economical and practical. DC fast charging is a $500 option on the i3 last time I looked, and who knows what the take rate will be. It only makes sense to provide the capability when it is likely to be used. Should I buy one, I'd probably choose that, but as of right now, I do not know of any DC fast charging stations anywhere nearby. It may be a total waste of money.

While I'm now retired, the place where I worked over 5-years ago, had some charging stations available (all private property). As more of these things become adopted, and the demand goes up, businesses will see the advantage to offering it, either as a cost item, or maybe a free incentive.

BMW does have an association with a company that sets up and maintains public charge stations, and you get an account when you buy an i3 (unfunded, as far as I know, but they may put some nominal amount in it initially). The more account holders in an area, the more likely it will be feasible for that company to install stations.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

All very intriguing. A whole new world... As someone that always thought electric golf carts were fun to drive and cool to zip around in silence, I want in lol. For me, it may take something bigger. Not necessarily tesla a bigger, but the size of a 3 series would be nice. But I will give the i3 a definite look for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #8
mindmachine
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 BMW IX iDrive50, 23 Tesla X

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
So the i3 range is less than the Leaf?

BMW i3 officially gets EPA-rated 81-mile range

http://green.autoblog.com/2014/05/02...nge-delivered/

2014 Nissan Leaf Electric Car: 84-Mile Range

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...dview-standard
geese leaf has bigger battery what the big deal.
Appreciate 0