THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics where is my BMW Apps?

05-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #1
riccappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14' M235i

where is my BMW Apps?

I have the tech package, which I thought came with BMW Apps, however I don't see it under connected drive. I have the app on my phone, however I have yet to be able to make it connect with the car, have tried an original apple cable, and a generic apple cable. I have an iphone 4... HELP! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #2
valentinbmw
Second Lieutenant
Chile
Rep
Drives: M3, F80

Garage List
You need to launch the app in your phone and then launch it in your car.
2013 BMW E 82 135 i Retired
2012 BMW F 20 116 i Retired
2011 BMW E 81 116 i Retired
2007 BMW E 87 116 i Retired
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I just launched it on the phone. Connect your iphone with the white Apple cable to the USB port and run self diagnosis under the information tab. It will check the connection. After it connects you should run fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Do I need the iphone adaptor/cradle that is optionally built in, OR can I use the dual USB/audio to iphone (corded) Y adaptor i purchased with my 3 series
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I just used the white USB cable from Apple.

I have an iPhone 4s.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I just used the white USB cable from Apple.

I have an iPhone 4s.

where is the usb plugged in?

does it display the album covers
play the music
take commands from siri
take phone calls
make calls
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmTwo35 View Post
where is the usb plugged in?

does it display the album covers
play the music
take commands from siri
take phone calls
make calls
USB port is in the center counsel.

It will stream music etc. List of apps is in the information tab.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
riccappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Have the dealership working this problem for me now. Not as simple as following routine steps to get connected drive working. The problem is, I have a US spec car that was sent to the UK as I'm military over here, but the car isn't in BMWNA systems as it never went there, and it's not in BMWUK systems because it's not UK spec, so the VIN isn't recognized on the connected drive website where you have to register. Hoping BMW headquarters can get this resolved. Waiting on Germany to get back with the dealer tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 01:29 AM   #9
M.barnes
Captain
Rep
Drives: 123d

You register connected drive, but that's nothing to do with the connected app. That's to do with bmw remote
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #10
///M235i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccappa View Post
Have the dealership working this problem for me now. Not as simple as following routine steps to get connected drive working. The problem is, I have a US spec car that was sent to the UK as I'm military over here, but the car isn't in BMWNA systems as it never went there, and it's not in BMWUK systems because it's not UK spec, so the VIN isn't recognized on the connected drive website where you have to register. Hoping BMW headquarters can get this resolved. Waiting on Germany to get back with the dealer tomorrow.
I noticed there are several military stationed abroad on this blog who have purchased 2series. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your service.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
riccappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmTwo35 View Post
I noticed there are several military stationed abroad on this blog who have purchased 2series. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your service.
My pleasure. Thanks for the support.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #12
ACDV228i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Sport Line

Quote:

Hello sir,
I'm in the same situation! Did you hear anything back from your dealership?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #13
Demetrius Joel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM/CR M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
same here. bought my 2 in Germany, but cant get apps to show up. not sure what to do? pretty much thought i was sol.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #14
darcivic00si
Save the manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora S

So, I bought my US spec 2014 M235i with tech package at the same time that the OP did in the UK. I have been back in the states with my car since Oct and I am now getting around to trying to figure out how to get my BMW Apps and BMW Online working. My car does not show either of these menus.

On a side note, our 2013 3er has BMW Apps with the old CIC system and the apps work just fine in England and back here in the states. It has the BMW Online menu, but when I click on it, it says to activate a subscription, which makes sense. So, whatever BMW did when they changed over the NBT system and lumped Connectedrive together with BMW Apps and Online, they kind of screwed the military sales buyers out of getting BMW Apps for free whether they're overseas or not.

When I first got my 2er back here in the states, I went ahead and pushed the BMW Assist button in the car and activated that just fine. My real-time traffic updates through the Nav system works just fine as well. However, I still don't have the BMW Online nor BMW Apps menu or services. When I called the BMW Genius hotline, they said my car is not showing a paid subscription for BMW Online like I originally thought all US cars got for free for 3 years. They said that my car should have come with it and that the only way to fix it was to go to the dealer service department.

So, last week my car was at my local dealer in VA for the whole week while they tried to figure it out. Well they decided that after speaking to BMW (I am assuming in Germany) that I need to call the BMW Genius line again and have them activate my BMW Online and BMW Apps. There was nothing they could do at the dealership.

So, today I called BMW Genius again and asked them to activate my BMW Online and Apps. The guy said that my car does not show any subscription for that and that the dealer I bought it from should have activated it for me. Of course, as I stated before, that is not possible for my car since it was bought overseas. So, I decided to pay for the BMW Online and Apps service just to at least make sure my car has the option and that it works. The BMW Genius said that it should start working within 48 hours, but usually sooner than that. I will post an update about that after it gets activated.

So, once I know that this option is working I am going to get with the dealer I bought it from in England and see if they have any further information about BMW Online and Apps not working for US military sales cars even when they get back to the states. If they have no further information then I plan on contacting whoever is in charge of BMW military sales in Germany and asking them about the situation and to see what they think.

I don't mind having to pay for the service, but I would have liked to know this when I bought my car. So, at the very least, they should make sure that those who buy US cars overseas know that they will not get BMW Online or Apps unless they pay for it when they go back to the states.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:02 AM   #15
riccappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Darci,

Thanks for the info. Please keep us posted. This is a bit frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #16
mvallido
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M235i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcivic00si View Post
So, I bought my US spec 2014 M235i with tech package at the same time that the OP did in the UK. I have been back in the states with my car since Oct and I am now getting around to trying to figure out how to get my BMW Apps and BMW Online working. My car does not show either of these menus.

On a side note, our 2013 3er has BMW Apps with the old CIC system and the apps work just fine in England and back here in the states. It has the BMW Online menu, but when I click on it, it says to activate a subscription, which makes sense. So, whatever BMW did when they changed over the NBT system and lumped Connectedrive together with BMW Apps and Online, they kind of screwed the military sales buyers out of getting BMW Apps for free whether they're overseas or not.

When I first got my 2er back here in the states, I went ahead and pushed the BMW Assist button in the car and activated that just fine. My real-time traffic updates through the Nav system works just fine as well. However, I still don't have the BMW Online nor BMW Apps menu or services. When I called the BMW Genius hotline, they said my car is not showing a paid subscription for BMW Online like I originally thought all US cars got for free for 3 years. They said that my car should have come with it and that the only way to fix it was to go to the dealer service department.

So, last week my car was at my local dealer in VA for the whole week while they tried to figure it out. Well they decided that after speaking to BMW (I am assuming in Germany) that I need to call the BMW Genius line again and have them activate my BMW Online and BMW Apps. There was nothing they could do at the dealership.

So, today I called BMW Genius again and asked them to activate my BMW Online and Apps. The guy said that my car does not show any subscription for that and that the dealer I bought it from should have activated it for me. Of course, as I stated before, that is not possible for my car since it was bought overseas. So, I decided to pay for the BMW Online and Apps service just to at least make sure my car has the option and that it works. The BMW Genius said that it should start working within 48 hours, but usually sooner than that. I will post an update about that after it gets activated.

So, once I know that this option is working I am going to get with the dealer I bought it from in England and see if they have any further information about BMW Online and Apps not working for US military sales cars even when they get back to the states. If they have no further information then I plan on contacting whoever is in charge of BMW military sales in Germany and asking them about the situation and to see what they think.

I don't mind having to pay for the service, but I would have liked to know this when I bought my car. So, at the very least, they should make sure that those who buy US cars overseas know that they will not get BMW Online or Apps unless they pay for it when they go back to the states.
Have you contacted BMW NA? Did you validate your warranty too?
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1075273
2004 C240
97 E39 VF5 Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #17
darcivic00si
Save the manuals!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvallido View Post
Have you contacted BMW NA? Did you validate your warranty too?
Yes! Thanks for creating that thread for those who are unsure of what to do as far as the warranty. I have used the BMW Ultimate Service Plan as well with no issues. I had no problems getting both of our BMWs serviced for free at the regular scheduled intervals. At least they got that part right!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #18
mvallido
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
You have to validate your warranty first so BMW NA will have a record.

2004 C240
97 E39 VF5 Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #19
mvallido
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcivic00si View Post
Yes! Thanks for creating that thread for those who are unsure of what to do as far as the warranty. I have used the BMW Ultimate Service Plan as well with no issues. I had no problems getting both of our BMWs serviced for free at the regular scheduled intervals. At least they got that part right!
Did they update your firmware and activated your NAV/SAT too? Have you showed them your build with the VIN showing that it is included in the purchase?

Options ZTP Technology Package
609 Navigation system w/ touchpad
6AK BMW Online and BMW Apps
6AM Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
6AP Remote Services
6NS Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration
6WA Instrument cluster with extended contents
2004 C240
97 E39 VF5 Supercharged

Last edited by mvallido; 01-19-2015 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: added build sheet data that was signed.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:42 AM   #20
mvallido
Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M235i View Post
Glad to be here, proud serve!

Master Chief, United States Navy
2004 C240
97 E39 VF5 Supercharged
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #21
darcivic00si
Save the manuals!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did they update your firmware and activated your NAV/SAT too? Have you showed them your build with the VIN showing that it is included in the purchase?
Yes, they did updates to the firmware.

On my 2er I already had US maps, so I didn't need to get that done. On my 3er, I did need to get the US maps activated and they did that for me at no charge. Everything works fine.

I have showed them my build and how with the tech package BMW Online and BMW Apps should be included for 2014 and newer cars. When they looked up my VIN, it only shows the code for ConnectedDrive, but it doesn't show the code for BMW Online or BMW Apps. I am not sure if this is due the changeover when they lumped all of that stuff together.

Update: I purchased the BMW Online convenience plan the other day just to make sure my car has the option and that it just needed to be activated. So, today I just went out to my car and the BMW Online is activated and works great, but the BMW Apps menu is still missing. If it doesn't show up in the next few days, hopefully I will get time next week to call the BMW Genius again and see if they can help me figure out how to get it working.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 08:23 AM   #22
darcivic00si
Save the manuals!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Options ZTP Technology Package
609 Navigation system w/ touchpad
6AK BMW Online and BMW Apps
6AM Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
6AP Remote Services
6NS Enhanced USB and Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration
6WA Instrument cluster with extended contents
Here is what my VIN shows…even though it is the same code 6AK is not called BMW Online and BMW Apps on my VIN, but rather 6AK ConnectedDrive Services.

I did find another thread where a guy with a US car had the same problem and his menu looks just like mine now that I have activated BMW Online. I pm'd him and asked him if he got his BMW Apps working and he said it just showed up one day, lol. So, fingers crossed that mine will do the same! Here is the link http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1007347

Here are the codes my car has:

Type code 1J7C

Type M235I (USA)

Dev. series F22 ()

Line 2

Body type COUPE

Steering LL

Door count 2

Engine N55

Cubical capacity 3.00

Power 240

Transmision HECK

Gearbox MECH

Colour BLACK SAPPHIRE METALLIC (475)

Upholstery LEDER DAKOTA/KORALLROT/AKZENT SCHWA (LCL5)

Prod. date 2014-03-19

Order options
No. Description
1CA SELECTION COP RELEVANT VEHICLES

2VB TYRE PRESSURE INDICATOR

248 STEERING WHEEL HEATING

3AG BACKUP CAMERA

302 ALARM SYSTEM

319 INTEGRATED UNIVERSAL REMOTE CONTROL

322 COMFORT ACCESS SYSTEM

4DL HIGH.TRIM FIN. BLACK HIGH-GLOSS

4NE BLOW-BY-HEATER