E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > DIY: Shift Knob with Set Screws

11-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
DIY: Shift Knob with Set Screws

ABSTRACT: This DIY describes installation of any shift knob with set screws. I personally installed a Hamann Race Edition knob. This is the easiest thing in the world but when I installed mine months ago I didn't use Loctite and I used an SAE wrench on the original Metric set screws and I stripped the hell out of the screws. Every time my dad drives my car he holds the shift knob (bad) and so when he was driving it to New York I slowly watched the knob come loose and start spinning!

INSTALL TIME: 10 minutes

DIFFICULTY: 1-2 out of 5

MATERIALS:
- Shift Knob
- Hex set screws (for my knob I used 4mm plain steel screws)
- Allen Wrench (for my knob I used a ginormous 2mm wrench)
- Loctite BLUE (make sure you get blue or you'll "never" be able to remove it)

PROCEDURE:
1) Remove stock shift knob. Place in 2nd gear and carefully, but forcefully, pull up.

2) Slide knob on lever and center all graphics how you like.

3) Fit all set screws to knob without Loctite. One side of the set screw is dull and the other is the slot for the allen wrench (OK obvious, but the difficulty of this DIY is low enough, bear with me). Tighten the screws just enough that the knob is snug and you can move it around without slipping, this way when we Loctite the screws they're already in position.

4) One screw at a time, remove one screw. Squirt a fair amount of Loctite Blue in the screw hole. Tighten screw as tight as you can without stripping it. Repeat on remaining screws.

5) Let sit for at least 20 minutes, preferably 24 hours.

RESULT: A knob that doesn't move, just what we want. Hey call me materialistic or whatever but when I drive my car with the stock knob I feel like I'm driving a truck, the Race knob has to add at least 50hp (j.k.). I just added BavDom Glossy Black CF Trim and I've had the Hamann Emergency Brake. All this on top of Terra leather looks like one sexy luxury race car

I hope this helped someone Thanks
Appreciate 0