E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Shift linkage issue, or worse, transmission

04-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

Shift linkage issue, or worse, transmission

Edit 4/28: Solved, clips holding the linkage in place were not in place. They were lying on top of the transmission long enough for one of the pins to back out and cause the linkage to operate incorrectly.

While driving home the other day, from 1-2 it did not engage 2. made a sound so I went to 3 and pulled over.
Something is bent or broken in the shift linkage or transmission and the car has 61k miles.
It will engage R-1-3-5 but cannot engage 2-4-6. While in gear 1-3-5 the shifter will move around, but the gear stays engaged. To disengage 1-3-5 you must pull the shifter way down almost where 2-4-6 would be.

I pulled the shift boot off to look at the shifter ball joint and it looks good. I also got under the car but could not get a good look at the linkage, since it is on top of the transmission. I could just see the under side of the shifter.

I am towing it to an independent shop for them to look at it on Monday. I am just hoping it is not major.

Has anyone had this issue (I searched and found little to nothing)? What parts must be removed to get to the shift linkage where it attaches to the transmission, will the interior be stripped, or must the trans be dropped? Any ideas?

Thanks for the input, I am just trying to get through this and get back to enjoying the car.

(Warranty notes, since I passed on buying an extended warranty, this is out of pocket. This will be the first repair outside of warranty. If my total repairs over the extended warranty period exceed the warranty cost, I did it wrong. I am hoping on the other way around of course, but this is not a good start.)

Last edited by mxa121; 04-28-2014 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

That sucks. Really strange thing to have happen. Whenever i read threads about people having trouble with their automatics, it makes me glad i have the manual. Hope it works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

When I first started reading this I was thinking the syncro for 2nd was toast, but after reading the whole explanation, I think something broke in the shifting mechanism. It might be a bit pricey to fix. The shop will have to remove the exhaust, heat shields, and drive shaft to get to the shifting mechanism. Sounds like its time for a short shift kit too.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 06:08 AM   #4
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGT81 View Post
That sucks. Really strange thing to have happen. Whenever i read threads about people having trouble with their automatics, it makes me glad i have the manual. Hope it works out for you.
Except the OP has a manual, not an automatic...

Hopefully it's just a linkage-related issue. I don't know for sure, but my guess is the shop will only need to drop the rear tranny mount and driveshaft to get to the linkage and not the entire transmission. In the unlikely even they do need to drop the transmission you may want to consider replacing the clutch at the same time since you will have paid for the bulk of the labor required to do so already.

Good luck and let us know the outcome. I don't think I've heard anyone mention your particular problem before.
      04-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJtoad View Post
Except the OP has a manual, not an automatic...

Hopefully it's just a linkage-related issue. I don't know for sure, but my guess is the shop will only need to drop the rear tranny mount and driveshaft to get to the linkage and not the entire transmission. In the unlikely even they do need to drop the transmission you may want to consider replacing the clutch at the same time since you will have paid for the bulk of the labor required to do so already.

Good luck and let us know the outcome. I don't think I've heard anyone mention your particular problem before.
The trans does not need to be removed the shift linkage is all behind the transmission, but above the driveshaft, so the exhaust and driveshaft need to come out.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
mxa121
Major
Rep

I will have it at the shop on Monday.
Hopefully they only have to remove the exhaust and driveshaft and not the transmission. I had not thought about replacing the clutch or short shift kit while it was open, really just trying to minimize damage on my wallet at this point.

I will keep you updated on the results in case this ever happens to someone else.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxa121 View Post
I will have it at the shop on Monday.
Hopefully they only have to remove the exhaust and driveshaft and not the transmission. I had not thought about replacing the clutch or short shift kit while it was open, really just trying to minimize damage on my wallet at this point.

I will keep you updated on the results in case this ever happens to someone else.
I've been in this area of the car many times. The trans does not need to be removed to repair or replace the shift linkage. The shift linkage attaches to the shift shaft that comes out of the rear of the trans. The shift shaft is about 4 inches above the prop shaft. Removing the guibo (rubber flex joint) even gives more room. It takes 30 seconds to remove the guibo with air tools and an 18MM socket and wrench. It should take a Tech familiar with the car about 45 min. max to remove the exhaust, driveshaft, and heat shields. I suggested a short shift kit since most likely what is broken is part of the new short shift kit anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #8
mxa121
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've been in this area of the car many times. The trans does not need to be removed to repair or replace the shift linkage. The shift linkage attaches to the shift shaft that comes out of the rear of the trans. The shift shaft is about 4 inches above the prop shaft. Removing the guibo (rubber flex joint) even gives more room. It takes 30 seconds to remove the guibo with air tools and an 18MM socket and wrench. It should take a Tech familiar with the car about 45 min. max to remove the exhaust, driveshaft, and heat shields. I suggested a short shift kit since most likely what is broken is part of the new short shift kit anyway.
Thanks for the input! I towed the car there tonight so I should know more tomorrow. If the linkage is busted, I will probably order parts myself and may spring for a SSK.
Is SSK worth it?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #9
mxa121
Major
Rep

The shop called today and solved the problem.

First question, "Who's been working on your car?"
Some securing clips on the linkage were removed, and lying on the transmission. They were out of place allowing a pin to wriggle free and cause the linkage to operate incorrectly. They replaced the clips and boom, shifts like a dream.

I just did the 60k stuff at a different shop and they were underneath the car quite a bit, but they should not have touched the linkage.
I am debating whether I should discuss it with them, but there is no proof that it is their fault that the clips were not attached. The mechanic that replaced the clips mentioned they are a tight fit and could not just fall off from driving.
Even without proof, I have lost confidence in the last shop that worked on my car. Shame.

I'm out a couple hundred bucks for a small little issue. Glad it was just that.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #10
mxa121
Major
Rep

The region where the clips were positioned are around items 2 and 4, although the mechanic said they were not pictured.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for the follow up good to hear it wasn't serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxa121 View Post
The shop called today and solved the problem.

First question, "Who's been working on your car?"
Some securing clips on the linkage were removed, and lying on the transmission. They were out of place allowing a pin to wriggle free and cause the linkage to operate incorrectly. They replaced the clips and boom, shifts like a dream.

I just did the 60k stuff at a different shop and they were underneath the car quite a bit, but they should not have touched the linkage.
I am debating whether I should discuss it with them, but there is no proof that it is their fault that the clips were not attached. The mechanic that replaced the clips mentioned they are a tight fit and could not just fall off from driving.
Even without proof, I have lost confidence in the last shop that worked on my car. Shame.

I'm out a couple hundred bucks for a small little issue. Glad it was just that.