Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Review: 335 + Blizzak LM-25s + SNOW!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
JKratty
In Scotch We Trust
Rep
Drives: '69 Chevelle, E90 335

Review: 335 + Blizzak LM-25s + SNOW!

Ok folks,

This Turkey Day had me braving the PA Turnpike heading up to the fam's place in the snowbelt east of Cleveland. In preparation, my E90 was shod with 18" Blizzaks in 225/40-18, per Gary's recommendation. Having grown up in the snowbelt, I've driven in ridiculous amounts of snow since age 16, but never in a RWD, $45k performance sedan! Thanksgiving Day brought a steady flow of the white stuff, so I was able to give her a pretty thorough road test...with this review in mind, of course.

First, on dry roads, the Blizzaks are pretty nice. Definitely a more forgiving ride versus the RFTs. Because the rears are a little stretched (although to the eye this is only visible on close inspection and is not ugly at all), I'm always nervous about taking corners at my usual pace. While they haven't given me reason to be especially cautious, they don't feel quite as glued down as the RFTs, which is to be expected.

Road noise is marginally more noticeable. The strangest, and most amusing noises come under moderate/high braking from 60+mph...the only way I can describe it is the noise the Death Star makes in that one scene where the black-helmeted guy is given the order to vaporize Alderaan, he pulls that one lever, and you see the laser firing up from inside the Death Star just before Obi senses his Great Disturbance.

Ok, on to the snow. I was the family's chauffeur over the river and through the woods on T-Day. We got about 3-4" of wet snow, with temperatures in the high 20s. On snow covered roads, under average acceleration (i.e. minimal boost), I did not lose grip at all, even on inclines from a stop. However, if you get into the right pedal enough to anger the turbos, the traction control immediately kicks in. But the car never fishtailed when this happened, it always maintained a straight line, even when I purposely tried to break traction. This is a good thing.

On the way home, full of turkey and Jameson, and with 3 other people in the car, I tried a few mild panic stops on a snow-covered side street leading home. Now granted I was not absolutely mashing the brake pedal, but the car never slid. I would describe my braking test as hitting the pedal harder than you'd normally feel comfortable doing on a white street.

The snow NE OH had on T-Day moved southeast along the path the wifey and I would take the next day, back down the PA Turnpike toward DC. We had steady snow showers, ranging from flurries to some pretty good squalls, all the way through the mountains. Even at the weather's worst, the car never felt nervous, and always made me feel in control...so long as I didn't do anything stupid, of course.

In sum, this combination of winter rubber and our 335 E90 makes for a completely capable winter performer. Of course, with the combination of snow, road salt, and dirt roads I drove on, my car looks like I went mud-bogging compared to all the nice, clean cars in DC!

Cheers and happy holidays!
      11-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Nice review! That should help others out that are debating on what to get.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
JackMac
Recovering BMW Addict
Scotland
Rep
Drives: <OO (|||)(|||) OO>

Garage List
I have the Blizzak LM-22 RFT's and they are great too.

During your driving, did you push the DSC/DTC button? Engaging the Dynamic Traction Control (i.e making it less sensative and allowing some wheel spin) helps too when driving in snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
manraj
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 AW

Any after-shots of the winter drive? Can't say I've ever seen a filthy e92.
      11-27-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Where about in eastern cleveland? I live in Lakewood just west of Cleveland and we saw absolutely no snow haha.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
Raz335
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by manraj View Post
Any after-shots of the winter drive? Can't say I've ever seen a filthy e92.
Agreed..

Jerez Black/Fox E93 M3 - Prem 2/Cold/Conv/DCT/EDC/19's/Ext Lthr/Crbn Trim/Enhanced Sound/Sat
Mods- 20" BBS LM's DBK/Challenge Catback/Eibachs/Trim wrapped black/Lux Angel eyes/35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #7
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

nice writeup. tire size?

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 08:55 AM   #8
JKratty
In Scotch We Trust
Rep

judec -- 225/40-18 all around.

LOL! This has to be a first...demands for pictures of a ridiculously dirty 335!

Truth be told, we had some rain here in DC the last few days so a good deal of the road salt streaks rinsed off. But i'll see what I can do.

darkcloud -- Way out in Geauga County...ahh, the joy of the snowbelt! We drove to Moreland Hills on Thanksgiving...maybe 1/2" while we had 3".
      11-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
TahoeOG
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Hey Great Review. I actually JUST got my Blizzacks last night with 17 sport rims as my winter set up. I installed and going to do a thread on them.. They look really nice, and believe it or not, so do the rims. The ride was great and i'll post all the info up on the thread. Now i'm WAITING for the snow lol.

Good Post!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #10
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

I had the experience of driving my E90 335 in the snow for the first time last night. I have driven RWD in snow, but have not had a ton of experience. I think with snow tires these cars will handle better than FWD with all seasons. Im running 235/40R18 Dunlop 3Ds.
      11-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #11
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKratty View Post
darkcloud -- Way out in Geauga County...ahh, the joy of the snowbelt! We drove to Moreland Hills on Thanksgiving...maybe 1/2" while we had 3".
You don't want to know how often I'm out that way. I was in Burton/Chardon/Middlefield area just yesterday. Your parents truly do live in the sticks with the Amish people

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2007, 03:48 PM   #12
JKratty
In Scotch We Trust
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
You don't want to know how often I'm out that way. I was in Burton/Chardon/Middlefield area just yesterday. Your parents truly do live in the sticks with the Amish people
Ruh roh!!