F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Detailing... of sorts (local dealership)
proTUNING Freaks

04-25-2014, 06:12 AM   #1
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Detailing... of sorts (local dealership)

Got an email from my local dealer this morning with a link to the following...

Chandlers Cosmetic - Spa For Your Car

My view of dealers was always - part-time staff with gritty sponges (makes my teeth itch!) keep well clear, but looks like they're wanting to expand their services, plus they're convenient for me location-wise. So, Pro Polishing & Wax from £99 sound good, or am I getting sucked in by the marketing? Should I just stick with a bespoke detailer?

Got the facilities to do stuff myself, but having had multiple operations on both shoulders and hands, a car wash is about my limit and rubbing anything for a long time is out (unless of course it's the missus!)

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Personally I would miss it out.
Prices are from £99
For some reason they use a shampoo wax prior to putting Aglaze on.
It is just a product similar to diamondbrite etc.

It is apparently a bit of a sod to get off and if not put on correctly you can see where it bad been missed.

If it only 99, then price is reasonable, however if price goes up for size of car, needing to do glass, alloys insides etc, then rethink it.

Some people on here are from down South and used detailers with positive results.

List of detailers.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=59863

Last edited by ....,,,,..,,..; 04-25-2014 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
mgwest76
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Got an email from my local dealer this morning with a link to the following...

Chandlers Cosmetic - Spa For Your Car

My view of dealers was always - part-time staff with gritty sponges (makes my teeth itch!) keep well clear, but looks like they're wanting to expand their services, plus they're convenient for me location-wise. So, Pro Polishing & Wax from £99 sound good, or am I getting sucked in by the marketing? Should I just stick with a bespoke detailer?

Got the facilities to do stuff myself, but having had multiple operations on both shoulders and hands, a car wash is about my limit and rubbing anything for a long time is out (unless of course it's the missus!)
Got the same email and wondered. Not sure I have the time and inclination to polish my car to the level some do on here. Looked proper in the pictures with the polishing tool and they said they fixed bad paintwork.

I'll let you try and see what you think, I don't have my car yet
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #4
davethefish
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320i Sport

realistically a full detail of your car, or even just a minor paint correction and sealant.
done by a reputable one man band would be in the hundreds.

it's the paintwork machine polishing that takes the time, and money.
their site offers 'paint work rejuvenation' from £30 per panel so £400+
for a machine polish...?

i have done it myself and it took about 16 hrs hard graft over 2 days
with a rotary polisher.
just to decontaminate, prep and correct minor paint problems properly.
not including sealing, waxing, and treating the trim, leather,carpets ect...

£99 will get you what amounts to a wash and wax....
i don't think it includes the 'A glaze' sealant
the 'A glaze' system was offered by the dealer i bought from at £250
and is no where near as durable and water repelling as the nano sealants like C1 from G techniq now available.

Last edited by davethefish; 04-25-2014 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 02:28 AM   #5
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Yep, I think I've decided against the local dealership offering. What I need is a multi-step plan to get the car looking good again. Sure it washes up nice, but close-up the rear wings, side skirts and bottoms of the doors there are numerous tar spots (which I attack occasionally with Tardis), there's one or two stone chips, a light scratch or two (the sort that would polish out) etc. Best bet seems a professional detailer who'll tackle each problem, then clean and prepare the car - don't mind if that's £300 or so.

Just need to find someone in the Sussex/Surrey area. I see there's a Maxwax who have moved to Shoreham Airport and they have a full menu of things they do, but don't know anyone who's used them and I'm sceptical about website testimonials - prefer getting first hand recommendations from forum members Am sure there was a thread here that mentioned a good detailer in the Guildford area a while back.

By coincidence, I was looking at the Gtechniq G1/G2/G4 kit on Ultimate Finish (I'm on their mailing list somehow) a few days ago because the RainX I've used in the past only seems good for a week or two, and this seems far superior.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 02:45 AM   #6
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK
Yep, I think I've decided against the local dealership offering. What I need is a multi-step plan to get the car looking good again. Sure it washes up nice, but close-up the rear wings, side skirts and bottoms of the doors there are numerous tar spots (which I attack occasionally with Tardis), there's one or two stone chips, a light scratch or two (the sort that would polish out) etc. Best bet seems a professional detailer who'll tackle each problem, then clean and prepare the car - don't mind if that's 300 or so.

Just need to find someone in the Sussex/Surrey area. I see there's a Maxwax who have moved to Shoreham Airport and they have a full menu of things they do, but don't know anyone who's used them and I'm sceptical about website testimonials - prefer getting first hand recommendations from forum members Am sure there was a thread here that mentioned a good detailer in the Guildford area a while back.

By coincidence, I was looking at the Gtechniq G1/G2/G4 kit on Ultimate Finish (I'm on their mailing list somehow) a few days ago because the RainX I've used in the past only seems good for a week or two, and this seems far superior.
The gtechniq glass stuff is great, my glass has it and it lasts much much longer than crappy rainx
      04-26-2014, 03:17 AM   #7
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Quote:
Am sure there was a thread here that mentioned a good detailer in the Guildford area a while back
It was dream detail in Farnham.

http://dreamdetail.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #8
davethefish
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320i Sport

Quote:
I'm starting to get really interested in their coatings.
i've been using just their T1 tyre and trim for over a year, which imo is the best and longest lasting gloss invented for tyres.
i've been a die hard wax fan, as i love the wet look you get with them,
but these nano sealants seem to make keeping your car clean so much easier.
after driving in the rain, and getting the usual splatter all up the back of the car.
and a quick rinse should be enough to last in between full washings.

i have recently bought some Gwash, G5, C6, L1, C2v3, W2, to try out, (direct from G techniq via their page on the detailing world forum.)
as there are occasionally deals to be had, and after registering on their web site 7.5% - 10% off orders plus free delivery.
plus they have a map of links to G techniq accredited detailers in areas all over the UK for their product on the web site.

if i like the G5 and C2v3 coatings
i will be doing a full correction of all the paintwork on my car this summer with a rotary mop and P1&P2,
then applying the C1 Crystal Lacquer and EXOv2.

Last edited by davethefish; 04-26-2014 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 0