E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > am i the only one scared?

04-23-2014, 05:49 AM   #1
RedStig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TBA

am i the only one scared?

I got my 08 335i about 2-3 weeks ago, the more i read on this forum and the more i drive i get more and more scared that something is gonna happen to the engine, let it be the thermostat, the hpfp, coolant leak, and on and on and on.... im pretty sure i just got a coolant leak somewhere in the car, every week or so often the floaty is all the way to the bottom.

I was thinking on further modding this car but now im thinking that i have to save A LOT for these kind of repairs
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
JesseJames
JC
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93

Drive it like you stole it and youl be fine
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 05:58 AM   #3
Supreme214
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

that is why WARRANTY IS A MUST!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 06:00 AM   #4
RedStig
Private First Class
Rep

yeah cant do warranty anymore here....

i will admit that when that turbo hits it makes it all worth it, but for how long? im paranoid now...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 06:57 AM   #5
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

You can't be paranoid. Your initial plan is good. Just set aside some money for repairs and enjoy the car. Once an initial cushion is built, then you can mod to your liking. Good luck and just enjoy the car!!

(And fix the coolant leak)
      04-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #6
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

If it makes you feel any better, no one posts on the forum, or at least hardly ever, that their car is running perfectly and they're so in love with the reliability.

Often, it's usually to get help with a problem, so statistically the possibilities of failure are exaggerated, and skewed in my opinion.

That said, I would not own an out of warranty N54 BMW- or any BMW for that matter- out of warranty- repairs can get expensive quickly.

Bottom-line:

1) Keep a fund aside, in case things happen.

2) Always factor in the true cost of ownership for a vehicle.

3) If you got the car from a dealer, pony up for a PPI, and ask questions. If you got to car from a private sale, hit the owner up for questions- ask if you can get the car checked by independent mechanic before the sale.

You never know how that previous owner treated the car, and that, in turn, may significantly impact your ownership experience.

4) If you keep up on your routine maintenance to the letter, more often than not you'll find your car will continue to serve you well.

My dear old grandmother - rest her soul- used to have a saying- "control the things in life you can (your reactions to life events, the relationships you hold, the decisions you make, the chances you pass up or take) and leave the rest to [-> insert whomever or whatever you believe in here.]

Spend more time preparing before hand as best you can, and enjoying your car- and less time worrying about things that may never materialize. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
RedStig
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, no one posts on the forum, or at least hardly ever, that their car is running perfectly and they're so in love with the reliability.

Often, it's usually to get help with a problem, so statistically the possibilities of failure are exaggerated, and skewed in my opinion.

That said, I would not own an out of warranty N54 BMW- or any BMW for that matter- out of warranty- repairs can get expensive quickly.

Bottom-line:

3) If you got the car from a dealer, pony up for a PPI, and ask questions. If you got to car from a private sale, hit the owner up for questions- ask if you can get the car checked by independent mechanic before the sale.

You never know how that previous owner treated the car, and that, in turn, may significantly impact your ownership experience.

4) If you keep up on your routine maintenance to the letter, more often than not you'll find your car will continue to serve you well.

My dear old grandmother - rest her soul- used to have a saying- "control the things in life you can (your reactions to life events, the relationships you hold, the decisions you make, the chances you pass up or take) and leave the rest to [-> insert whomever or whatever you believe in here.]

Spend more time preparing before hand as best you can, and enjoying your car- and less time worrying about things that may never materialize. Good luck!
i love this forum lol. at 40k miles what maintenance should i be doing? i do full synth every 5k (previous owner did too, he's my cousin)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Very good- you seem to be on the right track my friend. Enjoy the car in good health!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #9
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStig View Post
I got my 08 335i about 2-3 weeks ago, the more i read on this forum and the more i drive i get more and more scared that something is gonna happen to the engine
Maybe should have done a little more research before buying a seven year old car?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
MrPig
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post

Bottom-line:

This. And e90post is actually not thaaaaaaaaat bad. iwsti and NASOIC (Scoobaru forums) have pages and pages on ringland failures, polls on what was done to the car/by the owner prior to said failure and threads asking whether the engine popped and what can they do. Didn't stop me from getting an STI, though.

Be on the ball, do your maintenance on schedule. Read. Learn. Do. DIY when you can.
      04-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #11
bloppitybloop
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

If you're too scared to drive it, what's the point of having it? Sell it to someone who will enjoy it and use it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #12
RedStig
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Maybe should have done a little more research before buying a seven year old car?
7 y.o with 40k miles is not that bad, i was aware of the hpfp and i had seen other problems but i never imagined they were that common.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #13
piker28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi

I came from the world of Subaru's where blow head gaskets were our best friends. Mine is at 138k miles and going strong and even on the original clutch.

If you treat your car right it will work forever. Beat the crap out of it and well things can wear out quicker.

Best plan is always find the maintenance schedules and stick to them. Then know a local shop in case of an emergency.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #14
RedStig
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piker28 View Post
I came from the world of Subaru's where blow head gaskets were our best friends. Mine is at 138k miles and going strong and even on the original clutch.

If you treat your car right it will work forever. Beat the crap out of it and well things can wear out quicker.

Best plan is always find the maintenance schedules and stick to them. Then know a local shop in case of an emergency.
what are the maintenance schedules for this car if you dont mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #15
Nicky92
Fastest 335 on Earth
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I'm the same way.

And shit keeps happening to my car lol
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #16
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStig View Post
i love this forum lol. at 40k miles what maintenance should i be doing? i do full synth every 5k (previous owner did too, he's my cousin)
I just want to point out that virtually ALL the problems with these cars are not oil-related. How is changing the oil every 5K going to fix a HPFP, thermostat or water pump, coolant leak, or electronics failure? Answer is: they aren't, you're wasting your money on 5K oil changes. At least go to 7500 for crissakes.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #17
RedStig
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
I just want to point out that virtually ALL the problems with these cars are not oil-related. How is changing the oil every 5K going to fix a HPFP, thermostat or water pump, coolant leak, or electronics failure? Answer is: they aren't, you're wasting your money on 5K oil changes. At least go to 7500 for crissakes.
what i meant to say was that all the maintenance ive done so far is oil change, thats why i asked what other maintenance i should perform. and i like 5k oil changes, makes me feel at ease
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #18
StereoSteve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 / 86 K75

small case of buyers remorse?

like most have said, theres a maintenance schedule for your car to follow. keep to that, and your and your car should be best friends for awhile. there will be problems along the way just like any car.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #19
nikosaur
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

It seems to be hit or miss on this forum, but consider an aftermarket warranty. I went with route 66 which gives 5yrs/100k exclusionary coverage for $1995 OTD.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #20
RedStig
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoSteve View Post
small case of buyers remorse?

like most have said, theres a maintenance schedule for your car to follow. keep to that, and your and your car should be best friends for awhile. there will be problems along the way just like any car.
oh hell no, i dont regret it at all, and id do it again. the thrill and smiles that this car has given me in just 2 weeks is incomparable. but tahts why i want to keep it good an running!

again ppl keep talking about maintenance schedule but no one is telling me what maintenances are due when
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #21
climax_e92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

I wouldn't worry too much. I bought my 07 335i almost 2 months ago. Still on original fuel pump and injectors. Turbos were just replaced under warranty along with water pump, coolant expansion tank etc, and car still runs flawless. Yes I am also surprised that its still on the original fuel pump and injectors. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Oh and I just hit 81k miles. Happy owner over here.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #22
1chanc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

You have to realize that this is a forum, where people share information- this means sharing problems they have and asking for helping. Therefore you are exposed to a lot more failures.

This forum is only a small population of 335i's. There are tons out there, some of which probably don't have any issue.
Just stick with your maintenance plan and all should be good.

Cars are meant to be driven!

Last edited by 1chanc3; 04-23-2014 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0