F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Delete MSport Suspension?
proTUNING Freaks

04-19-2014, 03:10 AM   #1
aubreyn
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 2012

Delete MSport Suspension?

I'm putting together the spec for my new 330d Touring It doesn't come round that often but when it does changing car is a great opportunity for self expression and a quick way to spend money (but what's the point of money if you don't spend it?!).

I'm going from a 320d on standard suspension to an MSport with MS+. I'm wondering if I should delete the MSport suspension. Any experience or advice out there?

My story so far:
I've driven a demo (no adaptive suspension) MS+ on 19s and was really impressed with the steering and suspension setup. Turned in like a dream. Well poised on the road. Noticeably more enjoyable handling than my current car on standard suspension and 18s. The MSport was no more or less forgiving of pot holes around town (low speed) than my current car. In contrast, I felt the MS setup was less compliant out on the open road (like it is designed to be) so that the down side is that comfort on a journey would be reduced. The MS seemed to have firmer coupling of things like joints in the motorway surface and unevenness of the surface on A roads so that the bumps and thumps at 40 and above we're more annoying.

I've also driven the adaptive suspension to see if it was worth the money to me personally. I decided no because I much preferred the softer suspension in Comfort compared to the firmer ride in Sport. So no point in adaptive if I left the chassis in Comfort all the time.

Does anyone know, if I delete MSport suspension will that change what I really like about the handling, steering and overall setup of the car?

Does deleting the MSport suspension raise the car? Even though it's still and MSport?

Any thoughts on the effect on re-sale value if I delete MSport suspension - will the vehicle be less attractive / valuable down the line in 3 years?

I'm kind of torn. Ride comfort is very important to me on a long tiring journey. But I like the driving experience of the standard MS+ setup very much. I was hoping adaptive would give me the best of both but after driving the demo with adaptive I found the sport settings just a bit too firm to be useful in my driving style and the overall driving feeling actually not as sweet (not sure why, maybe just psychological?)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 03:22 AM   #2
Pietro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Golf

Mmmmmm, I don't have an answer but am suddenly wishing i'd have a more varied test drive! I decided M Sport suspension was more comfortable than my CC in comfort mode - but didn't get out on the open road. Doh.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 03:22 AM   #3
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

I have gone from an F30 with std suspension on 18s to an F32 with adaptive on 19s. Admittedly the F32 is designed to be more planted but the difference is like night & day.

From day one I found the F30 on std suspension to be too crashy & wallowy. Not horrendous but not much fun for spirited driving / cornering. Even speed bumps left the car pitching and yawing for a bit.

Contrast the F32 which, despite being on 19s is noticeably 'smoother' in comfort yet also more controlled. The adaptive dampers also do a much better job of snuffing out smaller stuff like rumble strips and poor quality road surfaces. In sport it's really taught and much stiffer over bumps but that's fine.

Clearly it depends on your preferences, day-to-day application and budget but, personally, I wouldn't go back to std suspension. I'd take M Sport of Adaptive M Sport any day of the week.

Worth noting that M Sport is stiffer than std suspension but not as stiff as Adaptive in Sport mode. BMW made this compromise because, unlike drivers with Adaptive, drivers with M Sport have to live with the setting all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 03:31 AM   #4
RichardJS
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW330D

I've recently got a 330d SE with Adaptive M Sport suspension. I find that once out of town the Comfort mode is too soft for me - making the car feel to me a bit "wobbly" - so I set it to Sport mode (chassis only). I find that makes it much more controllable and better handling yet leaves the ride, to me at least, perfectly acceptable. Like you, I do a lot of miles on motorways but even in Sport mode find it perfectly comfortable. If it was me I really wouldn't delete the M Sport suspension. Can you not stretch to the Adaptive suspension?

And yes - I believe that deleting M Sport suspension would result in a higher ride height.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 03:33 AM   #5
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

There's nothing wrong with you buying adaptive msport suspension and leaving it in comfort. I do 90% of the time. Adaptive doesn't just give you the ability to switch between comfort and sport. The technology monitors each wheel and adjusts electronically to the road and the steering making comfort, even more comfortable.

And, if you feel like it, you can switch to sport any time.

I'd got for adaptive if you liked the feel of comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 03:50 AM   #6
d4springer
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP SS/SO

I've seen comments on here about changing the tyres from run flats to something on the lines of Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Apparently it helps the ride a lot, maybe consider that and keep the M Sport Suspension. Obviously you will need to factor in scenarios involving punctures etc.. but at least when you come to sell it on the next owner can change the tyres back to run flats if they want rather than you having to explain the lack of M Sport Suspension?
Older - E46 330i | Silver | AC Schnitzer, E36 328i Coupe | White
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2014, 04:14 AM   #7
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

I believe if you have a drive in a luxury or SE (non adaptive) then that is same ride as removing msport suspension.

However if you delete msport I would advise adaptive or just get a luxury.

Alternatively go for an xdrive, it does not have msport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 04:15 AM   #8
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

The way I read this is that he doesnt want adaptive because that set up still comes with lower, harder springs.

Just a curve ball.....have you thought about an xdrive car? That way you can opt for adaptive AND you get softer higher springs as standard fitment. (and you get loads more grip, especially in the wet ) Just a thought.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 04:18 AM   #9
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
The way I read this is that he doesnt want adaptive because that set up still comes with lower, harder springs.

Just a curve ball.....have you thought about an xdrive car? That way you can opt for adaptive AND you get softer higher springs as standard fitment. (and you get loads more grip, especially in the wet ) Just a thought.
+1

Best of both worlds (he says not having adaptive).
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 05:14 AM   #10
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

This might help:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...s+non+adaptive

And stick with 18" wheels.
M Sport Suspension gives less body roll and is a must IMO for a good drive. The non M Sport setup is too roll-y poll-y.
      04-19-2014, 05:31 AM   #11
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM
This might help:
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...s+non+adaptive

And stick with 18" wheels.
M Sport Suspension gives less body roll and is a must IMO for a good drive. The non M Sport setup is too roll-y poll-y.
+1

Except the 18" wheel bit!
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2014, 05:55 AM   #12
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Adaptive is not just about the stiffness of the dampers and two fixed settings.

It is about adjustment within the two settings according to road conditions and what the car is doing. An adaptive car in comfort is a better ride than a standard non m sport car due to that continually adjustment.

The message of most of the road testers is make sure you fit adaptive. If you do not like the suspension in sport mode. you can use the i drive to set sport mode so it is drive train only and the susepnsion remains in comfort mode. You still have full sport settings for both in sport plus.

I prefer an F series in comfort for town amd motorways and sport suspension setting for anything twisty.

To my mind adaptive is a no brainer if you can afford it even if you never use sport mode on the suspension.

Last edited by pmgreenwood; 04-19-2014 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #13
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
Adaptive is not just about the stiffness of the dampers and two fixed settings.

It is about adjustment within the two settings according to road conditions and what the car is doing. An adaptive car in comfort is a better ride than a standard non m sport car due to that continually adjustment.

The message of most of the road testers is make sure you fit adaptive. If you do not like the suspension in sport mode. you can use the i drive to set sport mode so it is drive train only and the susepnsion remains in comfort mode. You still have full sport settings for both in sport plus.

I prefer an F series in comfort for town amd motorways and sport suspension stting for anything twisty.

To my mind adaptive is a no brainer if you can afford it even if you never use sport mode on the suspension.
Yep and i wish i had it! Will be adding it to my next car in 23 months time!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #14
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

My 2p.....

The F30 is probably most suited to the NON M Sport suspension. It rides well with significantly less crash and bump, and although leans in the bends, doesn't do so to the detriment of grip.

For a more sporty set up, the M Sport passive works OK. Damping is not perfect and the stiffness shows up the cheap systems BMW have fitted to the F30 series.

Worst set up is the M Sport sDrive adaptive. Too harsh (and slow) in Sport and a bit M'eh!! in comfort. If it is actually 'adaptive' it is very dim witted, but my suspicion is it is not adaptive at all (other than having 2 settings). Not worth extra £££'s

To answer your questions, yes the MS delete will lift the ride height around 10mm. I don't think resale value will be affected going MS delete.

Drive a non MS suspension car to see which you prefer would be my advice.....it is you the suspension has to please, no one else.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2014, 08:01 AM   #15
davethefish
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 320i Sport

another thing to consider...
when browsing the AUC web site, some of the the cheapest msports i've seen
are the very occasional few that have the msport suspension delete.
so doing so may affect the GFV?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #16
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
My 2p.....

The F30 is probably most suited to the NON M Sport suspension. It rides well with significantly less crash and bump, and although leans in the bends, doesn't do so to the detriment of grip.

For a more sporty set up, the M Sport passive works OK. Damping is not perfect and the stiffness shows up the cheap systems BMW have fitted to the F30 series.

Worst set up is the M Sport sDrive adaptive. Too harsh (and slow) in Sport and a bit M'eh!! in comfort. If it is actually 'adaptive' it is very dim witted, but my suspicion is it is not adaptive at all (other than having 2 settings). Not worth extra £££'s

To answer your questions, yes the MS delete will lift the ride height around 10mm. I don't think resale value will be affected going MS delete.

Drive a non MS suspension car to see which you prefer would be my advice.....it is you the suspension has to please, no one else.
Hmmm, maybe i need to drive one with adaptive before deciding!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #17
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Hmmm, maybe i need to drive one with adaptive before deciding!
Mine will be without adaptive, so it may be something I miss.

However the current sport plus is very harsh and noticed difference between mine and friends with adaptive.

I will probably miss those 3g corners and roundabouts, but I doubt my passengers (or dog) will, having to peel themselves off windows
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #18
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Mine will be without adaptive, so it may be something I miss.

However the current sport plus is very harsh and noticed difference between mine and friends with adaptive.

I will probably miss those 3g corners and roundabouts, but I doubt my passengers (or dog) will, having to peel themselves off windows
Your new one being x drive is a different setup again though.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #19
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Your new one being x drive is a different setup again though.
I know, time will tell, as I mentioned on another thread, I actually need that extra height.
Well not need but it's a bonus with some of dirt tracks I end up on.

Just have to hold out for the M3 tourer with X drive.

Lol some people reading that, will have had apoplexy or spurted coffee all over lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #20
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

I find the ride excellent even in Sport mode. For myself at least, both modes are superb and do what they say on the tin. I get no float in 'comfort' and no harsh ride in 'sport'.
Tyre pressures have to be spot on, and with 18"wheels, the car is smooth, quiet and simply brilliant.
Maybe I am easily pleased ..........

Last edited by F30AM; 04-19-2014 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #21
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

I have a F30 with M Sport Plus and Adaptive Suspension.

I find I drive about in Comfort the vast majority of the time and only flick up to Sport (Chassis and Drivetrain) when I can have a bit of fun, when driving by myself, or I'm going for an overtake.

The ride of an Adaptive Suspension equipped car in Comfort is simply excellent. I took my parents out the other week and they said how comfortable my car was. They always politely grumbled about the bumpy ride of my previous E90 SE on 17's.

I seem to recall from previous visitations of this topic that Nisfan's views are based upon the Passive M Sport being superior when driven hard and particularly so for very hard and for an extended period.

I personally love the ability to switch between a grippy, car with a comfortable ride and good body control (adaptive after all) to a stiffer starting point when I want to play and have the sharper dynamics and feedback of the Sport setting.

Reading between the lines I'm probably not as enthusiastic a driver as some here, so the extra comfort the adaptive offers sold it to me. I did contemplate the M Deletion, briefly. Then had a test car with adaptive... Part of my Jekyll and Hyde car...

I'd consider the future market for a M Sport with 10mm increased ride height and permanently soft ride... The Adaptive Suspension may pay for itself...
      04-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #22
pedroF31
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325d Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
I find the ride excellent even in Sport mode. For myself at least, both modes are superb and do what they say on the tin. I get no float in 'comfort' and no harsh ride in 'sport'.
Tyres pressures have to be spot on, and with 18"wheels, the car is smooth, quiet and simply brilliant.
Maybe I am easily pleased ..........
No, you are very discerning, clever and perceptive and, by the way, your experience is EXACTLY the same as mine !
Appreciate 0