GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

04-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW SO/SO M3

It only costs $400 to paint wheels

I keep seeing a lot of feedback about the color of the wheels and not liking the two-tone business, but I wonder if people are just against getting their wheels painted or don't realize it is as cheap as a great tint job.

I've had a lot of wheels I think I changed them twice a year when I was doing shows with my GT-R and I had a good relationship with a couple of body shops. It only cost me $400 and at most a week of time to get my wheels done. Is that too much to ask?

I know it's the nature of a forum to complain and nitpick especially when we are super enthusiastic and also because we are paying a premium for the car, but dang, if you hate it that much, then just paint it.

I've been through the "I don't like the color of my car" syndrome too. When I had the GT-R it was cool as a black car, until I was at a track meet and we all looked the same with the exception of my friends custom yellow GT-R. At that point I was in LA and I was ready to get sponsors and get magazine coverage and I asked how I could get it. They said it needs to look different, so I painted it blue when Nissan didn't offer that color for the first 4 years of the cars release. It cost close to $10k, but I got the color I wanted and it was hot/unique/etc and it still sold when I was tired of it.

Now you can get a car wrapped for much less and you don't have to take a hit on selling a custom car vs a factory car. Any thoughts about this where I'm not making sense?

http://bluer35.blogspot.com/ is the old blog that I had with all the different wheels and my journey with a color change.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
Lups
Rep
Drives: I don't own a car.

Thank you, this was an extremely good tip, and it may even lessen the need to complain about the options. To many, these must just be obvious things, but I for one didn't consider this option. It's great to read about someone who has actually done something about things they do not like, instead taking my route which is of course just bitching about not being able to commit on choices. I will be reading your blog this evening.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Thank you, this was an extremely good tip, and it may even lessen the need to complain about the options. To many, these must just be obvious things, but I for one didn't consider this option. It's great to read about someone who has actually done something about things they do not like, instead taking my route which is of course just bitching about not being able to commit on choices. I will be reading your blog this evening.
Thanks crazy! You are the weirdest person on this forum so I look forward to your input! and....BTW you need to come out to Germany with us since you are from somewhere out there!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
jstnstr
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

I agree with you. Paint or powdercoat wheels then trade or sell if you want to go back to stock. It's that simple.

Also, your GTR in that blue color is absolutely stunning.

| Previous: 18 M3 ZCP | 17 M3 6MT | 15 M235i |
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #5
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer dad View Post
Thanks crazy! You are the weirdest person on this forum so I look forward to your input! and....BTW you need to come out to Germany with us since you are from somewhere out there!
I would love to come, I seriously would! After draining Germany from beer, I would drive back to north, go fishing and then fly here. Unfortunately, I have this heard to take care of, and I would just miss them too much. Taking them with me would be the obvious solution, but who on earth would that be enjoyable, in the form of speed, drink, and be merry.

What I will do instead, is a road trip trough the western seashore, and I would love to get all the tips of what roads to take. My friend is flying (I'm hoping she can make it) here in August, and instead of coming to Sea-tac, it would be great to sort her flight to somewhere else, and just hit the road for a week, or in my case, 3 days. I would probably go crazy after that time without someone explaining me about cops (his number one obsession) and dinosaurs (nro 2) and mixing them together, as in the only punishment in this country one can have, is that the police will eat you. I think he gets his mental set up from me, and I think he will end up in therapy.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

From experience I can say that painting or powder-coating wheels at body shops - and other professional shops that deal with wheel repair - never yields the same durable, quality finish that you get from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstnstr View Post
I agree with you. Paint or powdercoat wheels then trade or sell if you want to go back to stock. It's that simple.

Also, your GTR in that blue color is absolutely stunning.
Thank you! It took a lil bit of guts to do a complete color change on a $90,000 car, but 1. it's only money and 2. it was a blast truly enjoying a dream car for me at the time.

That's why I HAVE to do a euro delivery on this car and why I have to get SO/SO.. Gonna have fun with it and enjoy it to the hilt!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by camber View Post
From experience I can say that painting or powder-coating wheels at body shops - and other professional shops that deal with wheel repair - never yields the same durable, quality finish that you get from the factory.
1. Dude... they are wheels, unless you are trying to do a concourse with the car, it doesn't matter about factory finish. It isn't hard to do a quality total repaint of a wheel.

2. Most people won't paint their wheels, so worst case if you want to, go back to factory fresh by buying someone else's take offs.

3. Just google the current M3 / M5 M-anything factory wheel and you will see a bunch for sale

4. It's worth painting the wheels to get the look that you want that you feel for the car. Who wants to spend the type of money that we want on the car, only to complain that, "I wish BMW woulda shoulda coulda.."

5. Call an aftermarket wheel manufacturer and ask them who they use to paint their wheels. There are high quality painters out there that have to produce a job for a wheel company that sells their wheels for $5,000-$10,000 and the paint job I'm sure for those wheels is spot on...

just food for thought!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #9
Lups
Rep

Quote:
1. Dude... they are wheels, unless you are trying to do a concourse with the car, it doesn't matter about factory finish. It isn't hard to do a quality total repaint of a wheel.

2. Most people won't paint their wheels, so worst case if you want to, go back to factory fresh by buying someone else's take offs.

3. Just google the current M3 / M5 M-anything factory wheel and you will see a bunch for sale

4. It's worth painting the wheels to get the look that you want that you feel for the car. Who wants to spend the type of money that we want on the car, only to complain that, "I wish BMW woulda shoulda coulda.."

5. Call an aftermarket wheel manufacturer and ask them who they use to paint their wheels. There are high quality painters out there that have to produce a job for a wheel company that sells their wheels for $5,000-$10,000 and the paint job I'm sure for those wheels is spot on...

just food for thought!
Hey I like your way, easy and affordable. I hate parting from money for any reason, so this would be an easy way out, but... Damn that M5 on my grocery stores parking lot, with it's kick ass wheels. Which I now have to buy. But still, the other rims will stay for the winter tires (I will hit Canada the day they get snow near the border), and the 18" are nasty, if I remember correctly. I do not need more stuff to obsess about, so I will not check the options for this post.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey I like your way, easy and affordable. I hate parting from money for any reason, so this would be an easy way out, but... Damn that M5 on my grocery stores parking lot, with it's kick ass wheels. Which I now have to buy. But still, the other rims will stay for the winter tires (I will hit Canada the day they get snow near the border), and the 18" are nasty, if I remember correctly. I do not need more stuff to obsess about, so I will not check the options for this post.
I guess I need to keep your number/email so when you sell these wheels I can buy them off of you for cheap! lol
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
Lups
Rep

Quote:
I guess I need to keep your number/email so when you sell these wheels I can buy them off of you for cheap! lol
hahaa, Go for it! Btw, thanks for the blog link, I had one of those wild friday nights that are a norm for us with kids, so I went trough it. I still hate that car with all my heart, and I probably always will. Ego transplant could be my salvation.

I hate you for bringing up the ED. I spent last night going trough numbers and dates just to see if I could do it. I really needed something else to obsess about, since I have the car color down already.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #12
ake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i4 e40

Quote:
I hate you for bringing up the ED. I spent last night going trough numbers and dates just to see if I could do it. I really needed something else to obsess about, since I have the car color down already.
Of course you have to figure. We all want you to take part in ED... sadly there doesn't seem to be a spot on June 23 anymore unless someone drops out
[ Yas Marina Blue | Black Full Merino Leather | 19" Black-Light Alloy Wheels | M Double-Clutch Transmission | Carbon Fiber interior | Driver Assistance Plus / Lighting / Executive | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman Kardon Surround ]
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #13
Lups
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ake View Post
Of course you have to figure. We all want you to take part in ED... sadly there doesn't seem to be a spot on June 23 anymore unless someone drops out
Well, I think doing a road trip with meets would be more simple. But I have to say, that the idea of going back to Germany is appealing. I love that place. Due to an unfortunate family situation (I have one) spending a part of summer there is more down my alley now than going back home to north. I actually mentioned ED today, and nobody fainted so I think they would be glad to get rid of me
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #14
soccer dad
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, I think doing a road trip with meets would be more simple. But I have to say, that the idea of going back to Germany is appealing. I love that place. Due to an unfortunate family situation (I have one) spending a part of summer there is more down my alley now than going back home to north. I actually mentioned ED today, and nobody fainted so I think they would be glad to get rid of me
so let's get it going then!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #15
Lups
Rep

Quote:
so let's get it going then!
Oh I will. As soon as the M4 arrives here, I'll take off. I told the spouse to have the vacation in August, just for this. Any suggestions to where to go, and I seriously hate all touristy shit, no matter where it is. And I don't think I have the balls to go south, see I speak also like this, so I will be shot in minutes.
Appreciate 0